Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

44 Pages«<56789>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LS96  
#121 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 10:23:04 AM(UTC)
LS96

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I received the notification that my application status had changed to phase 1 assessment a few days ago, but I haven't gotten the invite email yet, which worries me. Did everyone get an invite within two days of being notified of the change? Approximately what time in the day did you get the email?

Could they have decided that I don't qualify to take the assessment even though I passed the prescreen?
RedTailFox  
#122 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 11:51:21 AM(UTC)
RedTailFox

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
LS96, my email came within about 7 days. You should get an email soon.
thanks 2 users thanked RedTailFox for this useful post.
LS96 on 12/14/2018(UTC), Bruce on 12/14/2018(UTC)
CWilliams81  
#123 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 4:22:57 PM(UTC)
CWilliams81

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LS96 Go to Quoted Post
I received the notification that my application status had changed to phase 1 assessment a few days ago, but I haven't gotten the invite email yet, which worries me. Did everyone get an invite within two days of being notified of the change? Approximately what time in the day did you get the email?

Could they have decided that I don't qualify to take the assessment even though I passed the prescreen?

My status updated Monday and I still don’t have an email.

Anybody remember how long they give you to schedule the test? I have a lot of Xmas travel coming up and I’m worried it will have to be done in the next two weeks or so, in the middle of the holidays.

Edited by user Friday, December 14, 2018 4:24:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LS96  
#124 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 4:28:02 PM(UTC)
LS96

United States

Originally Posted by: CWilliams81 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LS96 Go to Quoted Post

My status updated Monday and I still don’t have an email.

Anybody remember how long they give you to schedule the test? I have a lot of Xmas travel coming up and I’m worried it will have to be done in the next two weeks or so, in the middle of the holidays.

Maybe they email in groups--for organizational purposes. Who knows we might get it tomorrow.
Bruce  
#125 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 4:45:18 PM(UTC)
Bruce

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
They seem to updated every day at 0100AM; then you have to take into account weekends and holidays. My Phase 1 status/email gap was two days, but my status changed on a Saturday morning at 0100 and the email landed Monday afternoon.

I think they update a system and then the system pushes out updates after midnight.
Fedski  
#126 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 6:48:14 PM(UTC)
Fedski

United States

Was the most recent job announcement nationwide? Or just HQ?
Bruce  
#127 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 7:18:05 PM(UTC)
Bruce

United States

Originally Posted by: Fedski Go to Quoted Post
Was the most recent job announcement nationwide? Or just HQ?

Looks like its nationwide.

INTELLIGENCE ANALYST - GS 7/9 (External - ALL US Citizens and Internal employees)

NATIONWIDE

Submitted
CWilliams81  
#128 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2018 5:56:21 AM(UTC)
CWilliams81

United States

Since we have nothing to do but wait at this point, I’d like to hear other people’s thoughts on work location (Field Office versus Headquarters) and the type of work available at each.

For instance, I want to do strategic analysis focusing on national security level issues (CT, CI, Nonproliferation, etc). I know the IA info packet says you can do strategic analysis at an FO, but I feel like most of the IAs at FOs are going to be helping chase bank robbers and drug dealers so I’m leaning towards choosing HQ as my #1 pick at Quantico. That said, I’d love to try for an FO with a lower cost of living is there was still a decent chance that type of work was available there.

Anybody have any thoughts or insight on this?
thanks 2 users thanked CWilliams81 for this useful post.
TxShortie88 on 12/16/2018(UTC), Bruce on 12/16/2018(UTC)
TxShortie88  
#129 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2018 9:30:38 AM(UTC)
TxShortie88

United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
So, admittedly, I haven't done as much research on IA re: locations. I do think I'd prefer to be in a FO rather than HQ. I'd rather be somewhere in the Midwest or the south with a cheaper cost of living than in Virginia. I believe they said there are 56 FOs in the US. I'm good with catching bank robbers and drug dealers! ;)

Since we have nothing to do but wait at this point, I’d like to hear other people’s thoughts on work location (Field Office versus Headquarters) and the type of work available at each.

For instance, I want to do strategic analysis focusing on national security level issues (CT, CI, Nonproliferation, etc). I know the IA info packet says you can do strategic analysis at an FO, but I feel like most of the IAs at FOs are going to be helping chase bank robbers and drug dealers so I’m leaning towards choosing HQ as my #1 pick at Quantico. That said, I’d love to try for an FO with a lower cost of living is there was still a decent chance that type of work was available there.

thanks 1 user thanked TxShortie88 for this useful post.
Bruce on 12/16/2018(UTC)
mst2018  
#130 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2018 4:33:51 PM(UTC)
mst2018

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Does anyone know what is the salary? I completely forgot
CWilliams81  
#131 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2018 5:16:21 PM(UTC)
CWilliams81

United States

Originally Posted by: mst2018 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know what is the salary? I completely forgot

GS 7 with a bachelors degree and GS 9 with a masters. The exact dollar amount will depend on where you are assigned. Google “OPM Pay Scale” to see how much each area of the country makes at those grades. Im told you do one year at GS 7, one year at GS 9, one year at GS 11, two years at GS 12, then four years at GS 13, after which you will make GS 14.
thanks 2 users thanked CWilliams81 for this useful post.
mst2018 on 12/16/2018(UTC), Bruce on 12/16/2018(UTC)
Bruce  
#132 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2018 6:06:45 PM(UTC)
Bruce

United States

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I think. I'd like to stay as far away from CT and Strategic stuff as possible. Send me to the edge of the Empire and I'll be happy. The further from D.C. the better!

If I was to choose a Domain, it would be CI; I've done CT and WMD stuff in a previous life.

I'm happy to take whatever they lay on me. Let's see how I feel after this Phase 2 test on Tuesday first!

thanks 2 users thanked Bruce for this useful post.
CWilliams81 on 12/16/2018(UTC), TxShortie88 on 12/17/2018(UTC)
Niaj  
#133 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2018 5:15:23 AM(UTC)
Niaj

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I feel as though HQ is one of those "if you work there, you can work anywhere". Id imagine it would be busy, however, I wouldn't mind going for the experience of going. Other then that ill take a field office in the south (less traffic/ easy commute). If you want more action HQ is def for you, but id take that with a grain of salt. There may be other FO that is busy and has a lot of ground to cover just like HQ. Worst-case scenario, you can always transfer.
IA App - 9/27/18
Phase I - 11/26/18 (12/6/18)
Phase II - 12/6/18 (12/13/18)
QuietTenacity  
#134 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2018 5:32:57 AM(UTC)
QuietTenacity

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)

This is a great question, and it's something I've thought about a whole lot. I'm afraid I have no insights but I do have lots of thoughts.

I find that (for me) it boils down to this: My reality dictates that I will do whatever they want, where ever they want me to do it, because I find that what drives me is an intense desire to help protect the US (as cheesy as that sounds),and at a fundamental level don't care where that happens or what form it takes. I want to help. They will know best where they should put me to allow me to work towards becoming that helpful employee.

Now, having said that I also have dreams. In my wildest dreams I am much like you. I believe I would love strategic analysis at a nat. security level (specifically the FITF or CI/CT) but in the grand scheme of things it's not a requirement (see above).

Cost wise, hubby and I have decided that where ever my job seeking takes me he will follow (we've talked about this a lot and there are circumstances with his employment that allows him to be able to move around). We've talked about DC and if I ever got an offer I'd probably go by myself to begin with...we've been separated by his work in the past so it's not a big deal to us. If that were the case (offer in DC) I'd commute in on public transportation (long commute is ok with me).

I guess what I'm saying, the bottom line (for me) is that I want it bad enough that I'd do whatever it took to make it work.

It's a really personal thing though and I expect that wouldn't apply to everyone.

Someguy2010  
#135 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2018 6:04:48 AM(UTC)
Someguy2010

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Anyone know if there is a requirement to live a certain distance to your field office?
Vlad73  
#136 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:17:55 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Someguy2010 Go to Quoted Post
Anyone know if there is a requirement to live a certain distance to your field office?

Do you mean for the choice of first assignment or for work once you've been assigned, like a residency requirement within a city limit?
Vlad73  
#137 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:23:53 AM(UTC)

Quote:
If that were the case (offer in DC) I'd commute in on public transportation (long commute is ok with me).

I'm going to choose DC as one of my top three because my brother is in DC (I'm near Baltimore) and it's easier for my mom to visit us. As for commute, if I get DC then I'm using Metro because DC traffic is among the worst in the country. A few years ago I was working in VA and living in MD and it once took me 45 minutes to move one mile on the Beltway.

Someguy2010  
#138 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:01:09 AM(UTC)
Someguy2010

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Once you're assigned to an field office, is there a requirement of how close/far you have to be from it?
Vlad73  
#139 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:09:41 AM(UTC)

Not that I know of. I've never heard of a requirement like that for a federal job, only for some city civil service positions.
Bruce  
#140 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:28:55 AM(UTC)
Bruce

United States

Phase II done. Good luck, everyone.
thanks 1 user thanked Bruce for this useful post.
TxShortie88 on 12/18/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed