Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
herbie9  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 8:01:57 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Conclusion: My best alternative is to simply look for another job and hope they don’t ask for the appraisal.

Circumstances:
1. I received a fully successful rating on my last appraisal.
2. I did not read my appraisal until several months later.
3. My supervisor wrote some of the following phrases in the body of my appraisal:
a. Still needs close supervision
b. Still requires extensive rework
c. Lacks any excitement in the job
d. Comfortable on working on simple topics that does not require much thought
e. Difficulty grasping fundamental concepts

Other Details:
1. My supervisor does not want me in the department.
2. My supervisor and the chief of the department are close personal friends.
3. I’m a Grade 12, 60 years old with 12 years with the Federal government.
4. My supervisor is not capable of pointing out specifics in regards to the written appraisal.
5. The Chief of the department claims to have overlooked what my supervisor wrote and that allowed upper management to receive the appraisal and sign it.
6. In recent email communications, upper management has praised me for my work performance, my ability to work with my supervisor and the Chief of our department has praised me for my analytical skills and the technical issues that I have brought up as apart of my job.
7. In our agency, we have a 5, 3 and 1 performance rating system, with 3 being fully successful. I received a 3, fully successful.

Other Options:
1. I could try to file a grievance with the Merit systems protection board or the EEOC, but I am beyond the 30 day filing period.
2. I could wait until the next appraisal, March 30, 2019 and then file based on an appraisal that I anticipate will be an attempt to have me terminated.
3. I could choose to retire at age 61 and hope for the best in the private sector, because with an appraisal containing sentences mentioned above, my career with the Federal Government is over. No one will hire me.

Thanks in advance for anything that you may be able to suggest.

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 8:55:13 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 830 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Originally Posted by: herbie9 Go to Quoted Post
Conclusion: My best alternative is to simply look for another job and hope they don’t ask for the appraisal.

Circumstances:
1. I received a fully successful rating on my last appraisal.
2. I did not read my appraisal until several months later.
3. My supervisor wrote some of the following phrases in the body of my appraisal:
a. Still needs close supervision
b. Still requires extensive rework
c. Lacks any excitement in the job
d. Comfortable on working on simple topics that does not require much thought
e. Difficulty grasping fundamental concepts

Other Details:
1. My supervisor does not want me in the department.
2. My supervisor and the chief of the department are close personal friends.
3. I’m a Grade 12, 60 years old with 12 years with the Federal government.
4. My supervisor is not capable of pointing out specifics in regards to the written appraisal.
5. The Chief of the department claims to have overlooked what my supervisor wrote and that allowed upper management to receive the appraisal and sign it.
6. In recent email communications, upper management has praised me for my work performance, my ability to work with my supervisor and the Chief of our department has praised me for my analytical skills and the technical issues that I have brought up as apart of my job.
7. In our agency, we have a 5, 3 and 1 performance rating system, with 3 being fully successful. I received a 3, fully successful.

Other Options:
1. I could try to file a grievance with the Merit systems protection board or the EEOC, but I am beyond the 30 day filing period.
2. I could wait until the next appraisal, March 30, 2019 and then file based on an appraisal that I anticipate will be an attempt to have me terminated.
3. I could choose to retire at age 61 and hope for the best in the private sector, because with an appraisal containing sentences mentioned above, my career with the Federal Government is over. No one will hire me.

#1 fails not due to the timeline, but due to the fact you did not get a failing appraisal. You got one which says you are fully successful As a note: the timeline for filing an EEO complaint is 45 days from the time you became aware of the discriminatory act. In the case of an appraisal, typically they use the date you received your appraisal (as in were able to actual read what was said not when you actually did so).

#2 will only be useful if you get a 1 or fails to meet. A 3 or a 5 will be hard, if not impossible to appeal via MSPB or EEOC as you have to show tangible harm. Potential jobs you might not get...not a harm.

As for getting another job in the federal government, all they are typically looking for is were you successful or better. We know some supervisors rate more harshly than others. If you get fully successful..then that is all that is needed.

And I haven't had to provide an appraisal for any of my positions. SF50s to show I am eligible and have my TIG...absolutely. Beyond that...no appraisals.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 07, 2018 8:56:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
TheRealOrange  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 8:59:59 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Other Options:

I'm not sure that filing with the MSPB would have been possible unless you went through your agency's grievance procedure first, and also I am not sure that a "fully successful" rating is considered to be an adverse action or violation of the merit principles. Perhaps, but I do not think it would have been a successful effort.

You should be receiving feedback on your performance throughout the year, not just at appraisal time. And, if you are going to receive a 1 rating, you should know that well in advance. In all of the agencies I am familiar with, such a rating would lead to a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) prior to any action being taken to terminate an employee. You should become familiar with your agency's rules for dealing with performance issues.

Retiring at 61 would result in a 5% reduction in pay if you want an immediate annuity, as you would have to utilize the MRA+10 retirement option (5% reduction for every year under age 62). If you postpone receipt of your FERS annuity until age 62, you could avoid the reduction, but you would have to find health insurance outside the FEHB for a year until you started your annuity. Retiring at 61 is certainly possible, but you will need to check all of the rules and how they will affect you.

Unless you actually are put on a PIP and eventually issued a notice of intent to terminate your employment for poor performance, I would suggest trying to work until at least age 62, at which time you could leave with an immediate FERS annuity and full health insurance benefits.
FedCivServ  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2018 11:12:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 129 post(s)
I don't want to kick you when you are down but REALLY?? Who does not look at their appraisal for months? Didn't your supervisor sit down with you in person and go through it with you? If not i'm not sure who is more to blame...you or him/her. OK, so onto the rest. The write up sounds like you should be on a PIP but he/she must not have given you that feedback throughout the rating cycle so they were basically made to give you a 3 (i'm guessing here, that is what our EMR would tell us to do). So... man up now... go in and say "i just took the time to sit down and go through my last performance appraisal and i'm concerned. I've gotten good feedback from upper management on my X, Y and Z, but when i read your write up it says something different. Can you give me some specific examples of areas or situations that led you to rate me as you did? I want to be a top performer in the organization and i would appreciate you working with me to show me what i would need to do to meet your expectations and earn a 5 rating next time." You might be pleasantly surprised by the feedback you get, and he/she may have been waiting for you to come and talk to him/her since you received it and since you didn't, probably figured you agreed w/ the assessment. Once you take the initiative, if your supervisor gives you things to work on and you do them, and keep records of what you have done, if he/she tries to give you a rating you don't agree with next time, you will have some documentation if you decide to grieve your appraisal. Just tucking tail and running or automatically assuming you are going to get canned may become a self-fulfilling prophecy if you don't stand up for yourself...
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
FrankJr on 8/8/2018(UTC)
herbie9  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2018 1:55:20 PM(UTC)

Thank you FrankGonzales and the Real Orange for your professional responses.

Now as far as FedCivServ, well for someone completely uninformed beyond what I have written about the details of my department, you appear to be very very very opinionated.

I hope you don't vote that way.

Man up....isn't that from the 90's.

Oh well, I meant to ask you, FedCivServ, do you respond to your fellow co-workers the same way that you responded to my posting?

Not that I really want to know, but I pity them and even you.

take care....and try not to burst a blood vessel.

FrankJr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2018 5:05:59 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 77 post(s)

Now as far as FedCivServ, well for someone completely uninformed beyond what I have written about the details of my department, you appear to be very very very opinionated.

Oh well, I meant to ask you, FedCivServ, do you respond to your fellow co-workers the same way that you responded to my posting?

Asked for advice, received advice, criticized both the individual giving the advice and the advice.
DaVinci95  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 6:09:06 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 39 post(s)
You've got 12 years experience with the Federal Government, and yet:
a) You didn't read your evaluation for several months.
b) You were content with a 3.
c) You're first response is to file a grievance or quit.

Have you considered if there is any validity to what your supervisor wrote? If you are interested in furthering your career with the Federal Government, you should be asking what you needed to do to get a 5.

If you are coasting to retirement, just continue to coast.
herbie9  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 2:18:45 PM(UTC)

Consider this:

What if what my supervisor isn't true?
What if I have one of those supervisor's that have personal issues that work negatively against their staff?

If you don't believe that such supervisors exist...well the advice given by fedcivsev isn't advice.

And yes, people make mistakes, people rely on the word of others, to discount anything that i said

given that you know nothing about my department, is probably why you should not be a member of federalsoup.

you might actually cause harm.

but then that is just an opinion, and some can't tell the difference between opinions and facts.

i'm done with this thread. I don't really interact with the internet that much for advice, but now I see why.

take care

herbie9  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 2:44:38 PM(UTC)

Sorry getting tired, I actual do work and not coast.

>>>>>but I need to respond to this guy:

You've got 12 years experience with the Federal Government, and yet:
a) You didn't read your evaluation for several months.
b) You were content with a 3.
c) You're first response is to file a grievance or quit.

Have you considered if there is any validity to what your supervisor wrote? If you are interested in furthering your career with the Federal Government, you should be asking what you needed to do to get a 5.

If you are coasting to retirement, just continue to coast.

The facts:

I do a great deal of work and yeah I fall behind doing some important things, it is possible.
In our department, 5 are never given out. They are just aren't.

But unlike my Davinci95 that works for a department where everyone gets 5 just out of simple robot habit.
Oh wait, I just made a statement about something I would have no idea of.

Yes, I have considered the validity of what my supervisor wrote. And I confronted him, and he could not provide ANY examples. Again, supervisor like this can be found in the Federal Government. Nothing new.

And has far a coasting, really just really. It like those people that say they don't take government handouts, but yet forget to think that if you fill out a Schedule A on your tax return, that is a subsidy, a government handout, but I guess in the middle class it's called an incentive for blah blah blah. Or Like the lady who screamed at her Senator saying, Keep the Government out of my Medicare.

I've accepted that some people simply don't live in reality and yet the Federal Government made the mistake of employing them.

I don't take what was said personally and wish everyone the best in their Federal Career.

JDSIII  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 9:08:11 PM(UTC)
JDSIII

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I have applied for quite a few fed jobs over the years, I don't recall being asked for a appraisal. I've been on a number of hiring panels where appraisals weren't part of the package either.
FedCivServ  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 10:03:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 129 post(s)

Um, ok... it's too bad you didn't look at what i actually SAID to you instead of immediately taking offense and firing back on an anonymous forum. Believe it or not, i was trying to help you which you must not have really wanted despite posting on here. Anyone who does not look at his or her appraisal for months and then tries to blame someone else for that is irresponsible. I would indeed respond to a co-worker who admitted they did something like that the same way i did to you. And i would give a co-worker or anyone else the exact same advice i gave you... talk to the boss (i don't care if you like them or don't...they are the boss and have significant control over your career now and the in the future) and find out what the issue is. My blood pressure is just fine....thanks for the concern... and don't take my advice. You don't seem willing to own your part in this anyway so my advice probably is useless.
cyberfx1024  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 3:19:34 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JDSIII Go to Quoted Post
I have applied for quite a few fed jobs over the years, I don't recall being asked for a appraisal. I've been on a number of hiring panels where appraisals weren't part of the package either.

I was actually found not qualified for a job because I did not include the most latest performance appraisal in my application.
FrankJr  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 6:58:31 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cyberfx1024 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JDSIII Go to Quoted Post

I was actually found not qualified for a job because I did not include the most latest performance appraisal in my application.

Per job announcement, "Submit a copy of your most recent, signed, completed annual performance appraisal which includes the final rating."

Oddly enough the end result of the "performance appraisal" is one PDF with a final rating and signatures and one PDF with the details. I attach the one PDF with the final rating and the signatures only. No option to attach more than one document. The signatures are electronic.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed