Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ludus24  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2018 12:19:40 PM(UTC)
Ludus24

Groups: Registered
United States

First off, my situation is a bit different than most. I recently got a tentative offer for a civilian position with the USAF. I didn't apply through USAJobs and instead was emailed by my colleague about the position that they had to turn down. They told me I should just email the hiring manager my resume directly which is what I did. I got a call a few days later that basically just confirmed whether I was still interested in it or not. Just two days later I get the tentative offer from the hiring manager. This all took place at the end of June 2018. Fast forward to now and the RPA has been done and all of my info is in the hands of the Civilian Personnel Office which I hear is just a black hole of HR. I know it takes a long time to get another tentative offer from them but I was wondering just how long it might take to get a firm offer or EOD after receiving the tentative offer.

Also, I was wondering just how likely it is that I can get a firm offer. For some background, it is a gs12 level position and I am a fresh out bachelors degree holder. The hiring manager listed my experience I got from a competition build team at my University as the specialized equivalent to the lower grade. From what was described to me it certainly doesn't seem like I would be incapable of doing the job.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2018 5:12:49 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ludus24 Go to Quoted Post
First off, my situation is a bit different than most. I recently got a tentative offer for a civilian position with the USAF. I didn't apply through USAJobs and instead was emailed by my colleague about the position that they had to turn down. They told me I should just email the hiring manager my resume directly which is what I did. I got a call a few days later that basically just confirmed whether I was still interested in it or not. Just two days later I get the tentative offer from the hiring manager. This all took place at the end of June 2018. Fast forward to now and the RPA has been done and all of my info is in the hands of the Civilian Personnel Office which I hear is just a black hole of HR. I know it takes a long time to get another tentative offer from them but I was wondering just how long it might take to get a firm offer or EOD after receiving the tentative offer.

Also, I was wondering just how likely it is that I can get a firm offer. For some background, it is a gs12 level position and I am a fresh out bachelors degree holder. The hiring manager listed my experience I got from a competition build team at my University as the specialized equivalent to the lower grade. From what was described to me it certainly doesn't seem like I would be incapable of doing the job.

Offers, both tentative and final, are sent by human resources and not the hiring manager. The hiring manager is doing you no favors. Ideally find a contact with human resources and determine the status. Please do not cease the job search.
Ludus24  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2018 5:30:27 PM(UTC)
Ludus24

United States

Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ludus24 Go to Quoted Post

Offers, both tentative and final, are sent by human resources and not the hiring manager. The hiring manager is doing you no favors. Ideally find a contact with human resources and determine the status. Please do not cease the job search.

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say that she is doing me no favors. She did send me the first tentative offer signed by her. I don't know if that means she is somehow connected to HR or if EHA can bypass HR in some way. She is also updating me of the status of the review periodically. With that said I can probably find a HR contact at AFPC. Still haven't given up the job search but the chances of finding something better are slim to none.

frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 10:30:27 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 851 time(s) in 673 post(s)
Even under EHA and DHA, HR is the one who sends the offers...NOT the hiring manager. The reason for this is HR has to clear the "stopper list" first. ie those who MUST be placed (such as PPP) before they can hire anyone else. They also must verify you are qualified and eligible for hire...the hiring manager has no clue 99% of what has to be done in this arena. And so on.

So...the hiring manager has done you no favors, and may have violated a Merit Systems Principle. And, I'm not certain how the competition build gets you 52 weeks of experience at the GS11 level when the best your undergrad degree can get you is a GS7! Just because the hiring manager said it qualifies doesn't mean it actually does.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
HR Bubba on 8/9/2018(UTC)
nembamike  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 11:14:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 174 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Even under EHA and DHA, HR is the one who sends the offers...NOT the hiring manager. The reason for this is HR has to clear the "stopper list" first. ie those who MUST be placed (such as PPP) before they can hire anyone else. They also must verify you are qualified and eligible for hire...the hiring manager has no clue 99% of what has to be done in this arena. And so on.

So...the hiring manager has done you no favors, and may have violated a Merit Systems Principle. And, I'm not certain how the competition build gets you 52 weeks of experience at the GS11 level when the best your undergrad degree can get you is a GS7! Just because the hiring manager said it qualifies doesn't mean it actually does.

Frank pretty much nailed exactly what I was thinking.
Ludus24  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 12:41:52 PM(UTC)
Ludus24

United States

Ah ok then. Well all I can do is just wait for the response from the personnel office.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed