Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
506PM  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2018 8:20:26 PM(UTC)
506PM

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I have 10 1/2 years in the Federal government, with almost two and a half being at DLA as an 1102 in Troop support. I was recently promoted to an 11/12 position and received an appointment as a KO.

I received a call this weekend from a job for which I previously applied as an Internal Review Evaluator (0301 Series). They had previously not hired me due to another applicant having more experience - not surprising since I'm from contracting - but they said they still really liked me during the interview and found a way to get me another spot.

I'm DAWIA 2 in contracting and will be promoted to gs-12 in March. If I take this other position, I'll become a 12 immediately.

My question is whether this is a good move. Instant pay increase aside, is 0301 internal review as desirable a job as 1102 Contracting?

I was excited to get the job in Contracting, but it's not a life dream. I want to learn and become a more robust employee.
Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 1:40:17 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 75 post(s)
0301 is kind of an umbrella field, lots of different positions and grades available. A quick search on USAJobs shows about 250 postings for 1102's and three times that for 0301's, so the 0301 gets a slight advantage there.

You didn't say, but are both positions in the same location?

Taking the 0301 would give you 10 months extra pay as a 12, only you can decide how important that is to you.

The biggest issue would be the job itself and the people you'd be working with. How does the 0301 job sound as far as work and environment?

good luck
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
506PM on 8/13/2018(UTC)
506PM  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 2:51:40 AM(UTC)
506PM

Man
United States

Thank you for the reply.

0301 does seem like an umbrella series. I found little information when researching internal review jobs.

The location is the same (different building on same compound). The people seemed nice, but it's a much smaller department.
crossbow  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:47:18 AM(UTC)

IMHO, it may better serve employees to expand their work experiences, learn new skills and broaden their knowledge base by developing work experiences in fields that may be similar/related or even vastly different to their current field --- and hopefully avoid the dreaded tendency to find themselves in a potentially 'pigeon-holed' career. Their resume may reflect a wealth of specialized training and experience at a particular level, or a certain area, and/or a broad depth and range of knowledge, skills and abilities --- BUT, in just one series... and little/no experience or training outside that particular series. In my personal experience, it seems that once your career is characterized by only one GS series (even as a GS-14), you may find opportunities to move into other series may become substantially fewer; maybe because of short-sighted resume reviewers, or possibly the lack of experienced personnel in your field; however, you may want to keep your options open and consider the future... and other opportunities.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:54:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"There is no present like the time."
Rss Feed  Atom Feed