Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kanihoncho  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:38:35 AM(UTC)
kanihoncho

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am applying for a position that lists a PD number. All inquiries to the HR Rep assigned to this notice for a copy of this PD have gone unanswered. Is there a VHA website where I can look this PD up? I know some agencies have a website for this purpose. Other agency HR reps have told me that it is against federal law to hand out PDs and others HR reps here on this forum say that statement is hogwash.

I feel the PD should be attached to every USA Jobs notice. I have been working at a job this year under false pretense. The notice said I would be performing certain functions which didn't happen. The PD was over 10 years old and the GS positions were all removed and the responsibilities turned over to contractors. The job really should be reclassified under a different job series. I don't want to get burned again . . .
djp  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:36:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 96 post(s)
PDs are usually in the job announcement if not then the HR POC listed is the next contact.

kanihoncho  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:35:43 AM(UTC)
kanihoncho

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
As I stated, the HR rep is not answering my requests. This is the first time in 6 years that I have seen a PD number listed in ANY agency announcement. Prior requests for PDs to HR reps have always gone unanswered or I have been told that it is against the law to handout a PD. A PD is a much truer indication of what responsibilities a job actually has. The announcements are almost always fluff.

When I was with the Army they had a website in which you could look up PDs. I'm asking if the VA has a similar website.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:45:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Metalhed  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:39:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
no location for PDs that I know of
each station/location/visn has their own set of PDs on file somewhere within the IT system

there is no central PD bucket

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:40:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HR101  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 12:44:35 PM(UTC)
HR101

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kanihoncho Go to Quoted Post
I am applying for a position that lists a PD number. All inquiries to the HR Rep assigned to this notice for a copy of this PD have gone unanswered. Is there a VHA website where I can look this PD up? I know some agencies have a website for this purpose. Other agency HR reps have told me that it is against federal law to hand out PDs and others HR reps here on this forum say that statement is hogwash.

I feel the PD should be attached to every USA Jobs notice. I have been working at a job this year under false pretense. The notice said I would be performing certain functions which didn't happen. The PD was over 10 years old and the GS positions were all removed and the responsibilities turned over to contractors. The job really should be reclassified under a different job series. I don't want to get burned again . . .

Position descriptions are not part of the vacancy announcement and shouldn't even be listed in the vacancy announcement. PD's are given to the incumbent to show him/her the duties that that they are responsible for performing -- again after they've been appointed to a federal position.

Federal HR offices do not release position descriptions to applicants. That's why the HR representative hasn't responded to you. He or she is wrong for putting the PD number in the vacancy.

Fedemp14  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:49:03 PM(UTC)
Fedemp14

United States

Rss Feed  Atom Feed