Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pnwnative  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 1:19:33 PM(UTC)
pnwnative

Groups: Registered

I am currently a GS-9/4 age 61 with 25years of creditable service. I want to retire next May @ age 62. My agency is planning to eliminate my position prior to my retirement and no other GS-9 is available. My Director proposed I take a GS-7/10 position until I retire however when reviewing OPM it appears I should be eligible for salary retention for 2 years. My question is will I be able to use my current base pay under the salary retention amount when calculating my high 3?

Much thanks for any input
pnwnative  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 1:32:53 PM(UTC)
pnwnative

I better start using spell check rention??? wish there was an edit function.
roger.d  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 2:06:28 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 714 time(s) in 558 post(s)
There is an edit function. Put your cursor in the upper right corner of your post.

Your "high 3" is exactly that. The 3 years of your highest salary. That could have been 10 years ago. But is usually your last 3 working years.

As for keeping your current salary for your final few months, I don't have an answer for that.

Ed may be able to answer that question in this forum:

https://forum.federalsou...lt.aspx?g=topics&f=6
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
Exit7A  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 4:28:15 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pnwnative Go to Quoted Post
I am currently a GS-9/4 age 61 with 25years of creditable service. I want to retire next May @ age 62. My agency is planning to eliminate my position prior to my retirement and no other GS-9 is available. My Director proposed I take a GS-7/10 position until I retire however when reviewing OPM it appears I should be eligible for salary retention for 2 years. My question is will I be able to use my current base pay under the salary retention amount when calculating my high 3?

In the GS-7/10 position, have you asked if they would promote you to the 10?
That's all I got to say about that.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 3:11:07 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 757 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Exit7A Go to Quoted Post

In the GS-7/10 position, have you asked if they would promote you to the 10?
I am guessing the OP means a GS7 Step 10 position not GS 7 target 10.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
TheRealOrange  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 4:20:04 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 106 post(s)

After reading the regulations, I am not sure that the facts justify "mandatory" pay retention. It seems like the only provision that might apply would be a "reduction in force or reclassification action that places an employee in a lower-graded position when the employee does not meet the eligibility requirements for grade retention...." But, unless the agency has officially announced a RIF, that part of the regulation does not appear to apply. And based on your description, this is not a reclassification but rather is the elimination of the position. Perhaps that might be considered as a RIF, but I am not certain that it fits the regulatory definitions. That said, the action may allow for optional pay retention:

§ 536.302 Optional pay retention.

(a) Subject to the requirements in § 536.102 and this section, an authorized agency official may provide pay retention to an employee not entitled to pay retention under § 536.301, but whose payable rate of basic pay otherwise would be reduced (after application of any applicable geographic conversion under § 536.303(a)) as the result of a management action.

Clearly your rate of pay will be reduced due to a management action. You may want to discuss the possibilities with your supervisor and/or servicing human resources personnel. Since you intend to retire in May 2019, they may be receptive to a short-term pay retention pending retirement. It can't hurt to ask. Also, your high-3 will be the highest three consecutive years of service. So, if you convert to the lower grade, it likely will be your last three years as a GS-9. With only a few months to go before retirement, I doubt your high-3 would be much different even if you retain your GS-9 pay, but that would depend on the 2019 pay increase, if any. Even with a pay increase, the difference after only a few months is likely to be negligible. Best of luck to you.
NeutronBoy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 4:31:37 PM(UTC)
NeutronBoy

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
High 3 will likely not change because the President has eliminated the fed raise.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed