Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wrestlingshadows81  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:27:10 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

So I had been applying for about a month for every and any GS job I was qualified for. I actually turned down one with the Forest service because I did an interview with Fort Hood a few days after the job closed and I was given a tentative offer the next day. I completed the OF-306 and then I negotiated for a GS-11 Step 3. I was told by HR that it could take several weeks to approve however this was on August 28th and they were talking about wanting for me to start on October 1st. I haven't done anything drastic like quit my job yet but I need some time to move and make my way there since they aren't paying for the move. It's been 2 weeks now, how long does it usually take to go from Tentative Offer to Final Offer? Is it all dependent on the agency? In that same time I turned down 2 other GS interviews which I am now regretting however I did interview for another position in Guam that might be making a decision this week. So is it just a slow agency as far as Fort Hood is concerned or is this just par for the course?

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:28:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 11:04:32 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 814 time(s) in 638 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wrestlingshadows81 Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

So I had been applying for about a month for every and any GS job I was qualified for. I actually turned down one with the Forest service because I did an interview with Fort Hood a few days after the job closed and I was given a tentative offer the next day. I completed the OF-306 and then I negotiated for a GS-11 Step 3. I was told by HR that it could take several weeks to approve however this was on August 28th and they were talking about wanting for me to start on October 1st. I haven't done anything drastic like quit my job yet but I need some time to move and make my way there since they aren't paying for the move. It's been 2 weeks now, how long does it usually take to go from Tentative Offer to Final Offer? Is it all dependent on the agency? In that same time I turned down 2 other GS interviews which I am now regretting however I did interview for another position in Guam that might be making a decision this week. So is it just a slow agency as far as Fort Hood is concerned or is this just par for the course?
never turn down an interview if you aren't sitting in the seat yet. They can cancel the position at any time prior to that moment, so always be looking for plans b, c, d,....z, etc.

It can take some time between the tentative and final, so always be looking for other positions. Who knows, you may find another position which is a GS12!

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
wrestlingshadows81  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 11:07:47 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how long it usually takes or how long it took for you?
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 11:49:29 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how long it usually takes or how long it took for you?
Let's see...first position with the USAF...took 3 weeks, but that was because they knew I had other offers on the table already from other agencies and the hiring official pushed it through quickly.

2nd position (USCG) took about a month, and that includes a call from the selecting official asking which one of the two positions did I want (DC or Connecticut)...I took DC, and then I had to move cross country.

Current position (NASA)...less than 2 weeks from interview to sitting in the seat!

thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
wrestlingshadows81 on 9/11/2018(UTC)
SD Analyst  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 3:12:15 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 386 time(s) in 331 post(s)
I would add that this month is the end of the Fiscal Year, so doubtless they are swamped with those issues. Maybe they're waiting until the new FY (1 October) to bring you on board. You can always send an email to the HR contact asking.
wrestlingshadows81  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:32:51 PM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

Originally Posted by: SD Analyst Go to Quoted Post
I would add that this month is the end of the Fiscal Year, so doubtless they are swamped with those issues. Maybe they're waiting until the new FY (1 October) to bring you on board. You can always send an email to the HR contact asking.

Yeah I tried doing that and the only thing they said was "I don't know but when I find out I will let you know". I emailed the guy who interviewed me who is the same guy I will be working for to ask him if I would be starting October 1 or sometime after October 1 since it sounded like I would be starting October 1. I need to move soon if that's the case, that's the only reason I'm sort of antsy at the moment.
DaVinci95  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:21:38 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SD Analyst Go to Quoted Post

Yeah I tried doing that and the only thing they said was "I don't know but when I find out I will let you know". I emailed the guy who interviewed me who is the same guy I will be working for to ask him if I would be starting October 1 or sometime after October 1 since it sounded like I would be starting October 1. I need to move soon if that's the case, that's the only reason I'm sort of antsy at the moment.

Don't resign, move, or make any kind of financial obligation until you get the final offer. If after you get the final offer you don't have enough time to move before the proposed EOD, ask HR to push your EOD back 2 or 4 weeks.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:27:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

wrestlingshadows81  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:14:55 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

Well this morning I got this email from the Chief HR person that was sent to me the HR person working with me and the person I will be working for concerning my start date.

"Good morning all, the GC has the memo in his box for signature - so soon!" GC? Garrison Commander I'm assuming?
thewhiz  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:05:57 AM(UTC)
thewhiz

United States

Hi

When would you guys alert your references that they may be getting contacted from a federal worker?. After accepting a tentative offer?. At what step in the timeline should I do this

Thanks
wrestlingshadows81  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:22:59 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

I never let my references know since I work with them. Only one job contacted someone and I had the opportunity to interview for 7 positions over the course of the month. I interviewed for 3 and turned down 3. For those 6 positions only 1 of them contacted a reference and that was one of the 3 that I turned down.
DaVinci95  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:28:00 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thewhiz Go to Quoted Post
Hi

When would you guys alert your references that they may be getting contacted from a federal worker?. After accepting a tentative offer?. At what step in the timeline should I do this

Thanks

References are typically contacted after the interview. If you already have the TO, your references have either already been contacted or won't be contacted.
gailbuf  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 5:31:12 PM(UTC)
gailbuf

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I agree - for me references were contacted before the TO.
birdonamission  
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 5:16:33 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 29 post(s)
What kind of rock star resume do you have to score 7 interviews in one month? lol :)

Good luck with all this stuff...it can be a rollercoaster ride until you're finally in your seat.
FrankJr  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2018 6:42:32 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: birdonamission Go to Quoted Post
What kind of rock star resume do you have to score 7 interviews in one month? lol :)

Good luck with all this stuff...it can be a rollercoaster ride until you're finally in your seat.

Unlikely the resume alone is the source of multiple interviews. More likely the source of multiple interviews is a specific clearance or skill-set or experience or certification. The candidate could be casting a wide net.
birdonamission  
#15 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2018 12:10:02 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

Unlikely the resume alone is the source of multiple interviews. More likely the source of multiple interviews is a specific clearance or skill-set or experience or certification. The candidate could be casting a wide net.

True. It still somewhat seems like an anomaly to get that many interview invites in such a short period of time, given the number of people here on the Soup lamenting about how they've been applying for hundreds of jobs over months, even years, with barely a nibble.

OP did imply he or she was applying to basically anything that moved (lol...just kidding).

Edited by user Sunday, September 16, 2018 4:39:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: misc

frankgonzalez  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 3:44:14 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

True. It still somewhat seems like an anomaly to get that many interview invites in such a short period of time, given the number of people here on the Soup lamenting about how they've been applying for hundreds of jobs over months, even years, with barely a nibble.

OP did imply he or she was applying to basically anything that moved (lol...just kidding).
I've gotten interviews or job offers for over 90% of the jobs I apply to. Resume is everything. And targeting jobs you are actually qualified for. Fresh out of school with a newly minted graduate degree? Not likely to be interviewed for the GS13-15 positions unless you also have a lot of experience. That said...have a lot of experience, especially at a high level, but can't get an interview for a GS9-11 position? Likely your resume sucks, or you are shooting too low position wise...or both!.

And if you make the interview...tell me what YOU have done (try to avoid using "On this project, we were successful because WE...." instead say "on this project we were successful because I..." The former tells me nothing about your contributions. The latter does.). Be confident, not cocky. There is a difference. Don't harp on about your academic achievements as odds are, most of the people we are interviewing have very similar backgrounds. Tell me something that makes you stand out and better than the others. Telling me about a failure that provided a learning experience you have used since then is good. Telling me you are perfect and only ever successful raises some other questions in the interviewers' minds.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed