Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nursejacqui  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2018 2:59:34 PM(UTC)
Nursejacqui

Groups: Registered

Here's my situation:

I accepted an offer OCONUS as a nurse. The tentative offer was for base pay which is exactly the same as my base pay CONUS. I am told that there isn't locality pay OCONUS because of LQA and Post Allowance. Problem is this, my locality pay is way more than the advertised % for my region, so if I accept this OCONUS position I am losing approx. 20k a year. The Post Allowance will only give me back about 4k and LQA is not really a help since my husband is also receiving LQA. We really need the cash side in order to keep our home back in the States. Selling my house isn't much of an option since real estate does not move in my area, it could take the total time OCONUS for it to sell. Are there any programs out there that can help offset this loss? We had originally hoped we could use the dual LQA (we both have separate orders, he's already OCONUS and I get there next week) to offset the difference, but that isn't a viable option with the reconciliation process. Would TCS orders be better than PCS orders for me? Thanks for the input!
upandup  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2018 8:09:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
You could request a relocation or retention incentive. No idea if that would be approved in your agency, but it is an option available at the agency's discretion.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Nursejacqui on 10/11/2018(UTC)
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 4:13:38 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Have you considered renting your house? When I went OCONUS we put our house up for sale. We worked with a real estate agency that also managed rental properties. We had planned that if the house didn't sell within 6 months we would rent it out instead. Fortunately it sold a month after we arrived overseas.
Nursejacqui  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:21:28 AM(UTC)
Nursejacqui

Thanks. Yes, we did think of renting the house out but we have an adult child living there until he goes off to med school. He could be at home anywhere from 8 months to 20 months depending on which admission cycle he places in. We also intend to return to our home once our OCNUS assignment is completed. I am not totally opposed to selling my home, but my parents are getting older and we live just a minute away by car so until my parents are gone, I can't see myself selling the house off. It's just a really hard pill to swallow that my pay looks beautiful on paper, but in reality they tie 1/3 up in locality pay in order to keep my base pay looking average. I never even did the math until last weekend and realized how my pay was divided. Dummy me.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed