Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants

Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
flynavy95  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 3:10:24 AM(UTC)
flynavy95

Groups: Registered
United States

Some job applications on USA Jobs ask if you're a retiree receiving a Federal annuity, either military or civilian, and warn that your salary may be offset. As a retired military member, I have nothing to do with CSRS, and yet some job apps seem to want to lump me in there. Anyone know of the relevant OPM guideline that covers this? Or otherwise have any insights? I see Ch. 100 in the CSRS/FERS handbook, but that shouldn't apply to me... right? Or does it? Is the military pension considered a Federal annuity?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:46:46 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 850 time(s) in 672 post(s)
Originally Posted by: flynavy95 Go to Quoted Post
Some job applications on USA Jobs ask if you're a retiree receiving a Federal annuity, either military or civilian, and warn that your salary may be offset. As a retired military member, I have nothing to do with CSRS, and yet some job apps seem to want to lump me in there. Anyone know of the relevant OPM guideline that covers this? Or otherwise have any insights? I see Ch. 100 in the CSRS/FERS handbook, but that shouldn't apply to me... right? Or does it? Is the military pension considered a Federal annuity?
If you are receiving a military retired pay (we military retirees don't get a pension...), then you answer yes, BUT you are not considered re-employed annuitants.

I retired from the USAF June, 2008 and started as a civil servant in October 2008 (excepted service-DCIPS), and switched to competitive service in 2013 (I love the VEOA!!!). My civilian paychecks are not impacted by the fact I receive military retired pay.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
flynavy95  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 5:16:37 AM(UTC)
flynavy95

United States

That's generally my understanding (although I thought I was receiving a pension). The USA Jobs cert asks the question "Are you a retiree receiving a Federal annuity, either military or civilian? (Note: If you are an annuitant, your salary or annuity may be reduced upon employment.)" Not sure why it would lump military in there, but it does, which is very confusing. If I say Yes, then I seem to be exposing myself to this reduction.
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2018 3:01:32 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 812 time(s) in 673 post(s)
If in fact you are a retired FEDERAL CIVILIAN you can be re-employed as a "rehired annuitant" and work some limited number of hours without interrupting your pension. If a "rehired annuitant" exceeds that hour limit then it can be a big mess.

But I've never heard of this impacting military retirees. The one way I know of is if you are retired from active duty and you eventually retire from federal civilian service, your pension can be affected IF you decided to buy back your military service to increase your pension. If you do not buy back that time, then your military pension is unaffected. If you retired as a reservist (ie have to wait til 60 to get pay) then it is not affected.

I hope I did not just add more confusion. But the bottom line is that I am not aware of any impact on military pension from being a federal civilian employee.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed