Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
darkhorse520  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:15:24 AM(UTC)
darkhorse520

Groups: Registered

Recently applied to a VA Police position that has 6 openings. Got a "referred" email about a week ago. I've got years of civilian LE experience, a masters degree, and I'm a Vet (USMC) over 30%. I've heard all the stories about how hard it is to land a federal gig. What are my chances of landing one of the six?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:42:59 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 851 time(s) in 673 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Firsttofight520 Go to Quoted Post
Recently applied to a VA Police position that has 6 openings. Got a "referred" email about a week ago. I've got years of civilian LE experience, a masters degree, and I'm a Vet (USMC) over 30%. I've heard all the stories about how hard it is to land a federal gig. What are my chances of landing one of the six?
I played the lottery lots of times...what's my chances of winning?

Seriously, without having your resume in their hands, a copy of the announcement, no-one here can give you any idea if you can land the job. Getting referred is the first step...getting an interview is the next. If you get an interview (especially if you get an interview for 90%+ of your applications), then the resume is right where it needs to be. The interview is all you..and that has often been the downfall of many a person with a great resume. Either the resume was exaggerated (to be polite) and they really had no real clue about the job requirements (especially statutory ones) OR they come across in a way that you truly do not want to hire them as they will drive everyone else to go looking for new jobs! On the other hand, I have seen people whose resume was the weakest of the interviewees give the strongest answers and be the one hired.

If you get to the interview...be confident, but not cocky. Do not help the interviewers play "Buzz word bingo", and if you use any buzz words, make certain you also show you know what you are talking about! (had some recently talk about using "Agile concepts" in his project management style...and then fail to explain what exactly he used, and how it make the projects more successful than other more traditional methods of project management...didn't get the job). Don't rush your answers even if you are trying to manage limited time. Stop, breathe, think about what you are going to say...then respond. It may seem like a million years, but the pause may only be 5-15 secondes. And if used wisely, can help you provide a succinct, but detailed response and take you less time overall in your response.

Good luck...

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
darkhorse520 on 10/11/2018(UTC)
darkhorse520  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:54:56 AM(UTC)
darkhorse520

Awesome advice and information Frank. Thanks! I've been preparing myself for an interview. Looking forward to it. "Can't Wait"!

Semper
djp  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 5:21:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 96 post(s)
If you have 3 yrs of full time military you have status for federal jobs.

Fir us citizens veterans float to the top.

My concern is at 30% disables can you do what’s required?

The jobs depend on where. Some VAs will be more like security guards in a building if the hospital is just a building. If it’s a campus with multiple buildings then it would be similatpr to college campus police where you would be watch fir moving vehicle incidents and have a cap car and policing the buildings and responding to disputes in campus veteran residential sites on campus.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
darkhorse520 on 10/15/2018(UTC)
darkhorse520  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2018 3:19:38 AM(UTC)
darkhorse520

It's good to hear my chances are good. My 30% disability status won't effect me at all in performing the required duties as I am currently a real police officer with a large municipality.

I'm standing by waiting for the call. Got my fingers crossed...

Semper
darkhorse520  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 4:02:57 AM(UTC)
darkhorse520

Wow! Things seem to be moving along pretty good. Recieved a call from the Police Chief. Said he was impressed with my resume and has forwarded my information to HR for selection. I was advised that it was a direct hire position so our conversation was basically the interview. I'm keeping the faith as I was told I should be recieve an email in about a week. As always, I'm content with the "hurry up and wait" game.

Any pointers are welcomed.

Wish me Luck!

Semper
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:09:20 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: firsttofight520 Go to Quoted Post
Wow! Things seem to be moving along pretty good. Recieved a call from the Police Chief. Said he was impressed with my resume and has forwarded my information to HR for selection. I was advised that it was a direct hire position so our conversation was basically the interview. I'm keeping the faith as I was told I should be recieve an email in about a week. As always, I'm content with the "hurry up and wait" game.

Any pointers are welcomed.

Wish me Luck!

Semper
Congrats...and as you were a Marine, I'll remind you to not be a "boot" when you first start! Listen, watch and learn for the first few months. Make them happy they selected you...and get through the probation period! Also, put in 5% into your TSP to get the full match (max it if you can, but do at least he 5%!).

darkhorse520  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:59:45 AM(UTC)
darkhorse520

Thanks again for the advice Frank. Those are my plans exactly. Keeping the faith as I wait and working out extra hard so that my potentially future bosses will be impressed that I still have that USMC "Devil Dog" appearance...lol!
darkhorse520  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 12:28:46 PM(UTC)
darkhorse520

Congratulations Jeron Young! You have been tentatively selected for the position of Police Officer...

Wow again!! I got the tentative offer today folks. Yall know I'm gonna accept. When should I start salary negotiations?? Can I use my 7 years in the military towards retirement?? Let me know. Thanks.
Endless Summer  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 12:37:32 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Originally Posted by: darkhorse520 Go to Quoted Post
Congratulations ... You have been tentatively selected for the position of Police Officer...

Wow again!! I got the tentative offer today folks. Yall know I'm gonna accept. When should I start salary negotiations?? Can I use my 7 years in the military towards retirement?? Let me know. Thanks.

Great news!

I can't comment on the salary negotiations but yes, your time on active duty counts toward your retirement as well as leave accrual. Unless things are weird with LEO's.

You'll have to buy back your time. for 7 years it will run about $2500 maybe. You don't have to do it right away but after three years you'll start paying interest. you need 5 years of actual fed time before you can be eligible for retirement.

Semper Fi
darkhorse520  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 4:14:03 PM(UTC)
darkhorse520

Thanks for the info endless. My plans are to get that done ASAP. I'm new to this fed thing so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I go through the process. Again Thanks.

Semper
RickBinABQ  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:03:30 AM(UTC)
RickBinABQ

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Congrats.

For sure you want to buy back your military time. You will need copies of your LES's from active duty.
thanks 1 user thanked RickBinABQ for this useful post.
darkhorse520 on 10/30/2018(UTC)
darkhorse520  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:34:16 AM(UTC)
darkhorse520

10-4 RickBin,

Hopefully my DD214 will suffice. I got out the Corps some years back and not sure if I saved my old LES's. I'm sure the VA will have solution for me.

Thanks Bud,

Semper
frankgonzalez  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 11:24:25 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: darkhorse520 Go to Quoted Post
10-4 RickBin,

Hopefully my DD214 will suffice. I got out the Corps some years back and not sure if I saved my old LES's. I'm sure the VA will have solution for me.

Thanks Bud,

Semper
Nope...DD-214 won't work. Yo will end up having to go to DFAS to get the correct numnbers (see https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemp...edeposits/estimator.html for help). What you are paying is the percent you would have paid under FERS (which is likely to be 4.4% is you are brand new to civil service) of your military pay. So...a junior enlisted from 20 years ago who did 4 years and got out will pay significantly less than the O-4 who got out after 15 years 5 months ago.

thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
darkhorse520 on 10/30/2018(UTC)
RickBinABQ  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 9:04:17 AM(UTC)
RickBinABQ

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What Frank said.

Being a bit of a pack rat, I have ALL my important Navy papers in a box, including all my LES's, in a nice Blue folder DFAS had for us. I really need to be scanning them in to my computer.
Sometimes it pays to keep old records, especially pay ones forever.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed