Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eggsandwich  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 6:10:17 PM(UTC)
eggsandwich

Groups: Registered
United States

RCA, probably will convert sometime in 3 years. Eventually I would like to sell my house and relocate to another state. My question is how difficult would getting a transfer be? Could it be done with moderate ease?
Razanur  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 6:23:03 PM(UTC)
Razanur

Man
United States

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Depends on where you want to go, the more desirable an area the longer the transfer wait-list. When you request a transfer they'll look at your entire personnel file. This includes things like safety, discipline, and attendance. So if you want to transfer somewhere, best to keep the sick calls to a minimum.
colty31  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 6:25:21 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 58 post(s)
As long as your are somewhat flexible on your destination you should be able to make it happen.

Tricky part would seem to be the timing of trying to sell ones house/acquiring a transfer. Seems like a headache.
Rural guy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 7:39:10 PM(UTC)
Rural guy

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Originally Posted by: eggsandwich Go to Quoted Post
RCA, probably will convert sometime in 3 years. Eventually I would like to sell my house and relocate to another state. My question is how difficult would getting a transfer be? Could it be done with moderate ease?

First, the rules regarding rural carriers are generally very different from those of the other crafts. As an RCA you can easily transfer but once you "convert" or make regular the only way to transfer is with a mutual transfer. That's exactly what it sounds like and it's not very easy. You have to find someone in an office in an area where you want to go that wants to be where you are. If you're in some godforsaken cold northern place and want to go somewhere like Florida or most any other warm state then it gets hard to find that other person. Also, "IF" you find that elusive person when you do transfer both of you end up at the bottom of your new office seniority and generally get the worst routes. The union rag (magazine) used to have a listing of people looking for mutual transfers in the back of it but since I retired I don't know if it still does. You can also go to ruralinfo.net and there is a listing of people looking for mutual transfers there too. By the way ruralinfo.net is a great resource for rural carriers and you'll have better luck getting any questions about rurals answered there. Once there go to rural mail talk for a forum similar to this but just for rural carriers.
MPE2009  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 7:52:41 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 432 time(s) in 328 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rural guy Go to Quoted Post

First, the rules regarding rural carriers are generally very different from those of the other crafts. As an RCA you can easily transfer but once you "convert" or make regular the only way to transfer is with a mutual transfer. That's exactly what it sounds like and it's not very easy. You have to find someone in an office in an area where you want to go that wants to be where you are. If you're in some godforsaken cold northern place and want to go somewhere like Florida or most any other warm state then it gets hard to find that other person. Also, "IF" you find that elusive person when you do transfer both of you end up at the bottom of your new office seniority and generally get the worst routes. The union rag (magazine) used to have a listing of people looking for mutual transfers in the back of it but since I retired I don't know if it still does. You can also go to ruralinfo.net and there is a listing of people looking for mutual transfers there too. By the way ruralinfo.net is a great resource for rural carriers and you'll have better luck getting any questions about rurals answered there. Once there go to rural mail talk for a forum similar to this but just for rural carriers.

Excellent points. I'd add to your post that while its difficult to transfer as a rural carrier, the OP is not limited to transferring as a rural carrier. As long as the OP is non-career, it's simple enough to apply somewhere else and pack up and move. Once they make career it's a bit more involved, however there's no requirement to remain a rural carrier. So if the OP is up for it, there are custodial, mechanic, clerk, mailhandler and even city carrier jobs that are available. Plus depending upon education and experience, the OP can look on eCareer and apply for EAS positions that are open to craft employees.
Rural guy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:18:46 AM(UTC)
Rural guy

Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

Excellent points. I'd add to your post that while its difficult to transfer as a rural carrier, the OP is not limited to transferring as a rural carrier. As long as the OP is non-career, it's simple enough to apply somewhere else and pack up and move. Once they make career it's a bit more involved, however there's no requirement to remain a rural carrier. So if the OP is up for it, there are custodial, mechanic, clerk, mailhandler and even city carrier jobs that are available. Plus depending upon education and experience, the OP can look on eCareer and apply for EAS positions that are open to craft employees.

You're correct as an RCA the OP can always resign and reapply where they move to. (As an RCA the OP only has to find an office with an RCA vacancy and request a transfer, once the request is made management has 30 days to comply) However once the OP makes regular they can NOT transfer to any other craft. Just as no other craft employees may transfer into the rural carrier ranks no regular rural carriers may transfer to other crafts. The only option available for a regular rural carrier is management. So you see there pretty much is a requirement to remain a rural carrier. (once you make regular)
Mail Sorter  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 1:15:55 PM(UTC)
Mail Sorter

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

You're correct as an RCA the OP can always resign and reapply where they move to. (As an RCA the OP only has to find an office with an RCA vacancy and request a transfer, once the request is made management has 30 days to comply) However once the OP makes regular they can NOT transfer to any other craft. Just as no other craft employees may transfer into the rural carrier ranks no regular rural carriers may transfer to other crafts. The only option available for a regular rural carrier is management. So you see there pretty much is a requirement to remain a rural carrier. (once you make regular)

this is false. We have two ex rural carriers in Maintenance.
roger.d  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 1:19:30 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 488 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mail Sorter Go to Quoted Post

How did the move from RC to Maintenance?

Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
Rural guy  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 3:07:30 PM(UTC)
Rural guy

Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mail Sorter Go to Quoted Post

How did the move from RC to Maintenance?

Probably resigned and went in as new hires. They keep their FERS and TSP

How many of any other craft have you seen transfer into the rural craft?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed