Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rchx  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 6:59:32 PM(UTC)
rchx

Groups: Registered
United States

Greeting

Just received DR approval letter after 10 months of waiting. But now I start to worry what's going to happen next.

When the time I applied for DR, I did not hire lawyer or consulting anyone, just submitting the forms and totally put it behind because I was told the chance to get DR approved is very low.
I tried to find jobs to keep my life going and I could barely make ends meet till 2 months ago I got hired by USPS as a RCA, a sub position without any benefit (leave, retirement), but at least my short term life is easier.

And now, all of a sudden, my DR is approved!
I sort of digging into the DR requirements and realizing that if I am working for Federal Government again, the approved DR would be stopped.

Is the RCA job considered as a Federal employee?

Should I quit the RCA job and waiting for whatever is going to happen to me next? or
should I give up the approved DR and waiting for my turn to be a regular Rural carrier getting the salary might be similar with what I might get from DR?

any suggestion would be appreciated.

GSBS  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:07:21 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 242 time(s) in 205 post(s)
You can't collect both if that's what you're asking? Since you are certified now as disabled I'm not sure you can continue on in your new Federal employment until medically cleared to do so. Of course the pension would then stop as well
thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
rchx on 10/13/2018(UTC)
Frogger  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:12:52 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Congratulations.... I think.
rchx  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:40:21 PM(UTC)
rchx

United States

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
You can't collect both if that's what you're asking? Since you are certified now as disabled I'm not sure you can continue on in your new Federal employment until medically cleared to do so. Of course the pension would then stop as well

thank you for your response, but seems I confused you; (RCA does not have pension)

If possible I prefer to quit RCA job to keep the approved DR. Because I already feel the stress of the RCA job, I don't think I can keep this job for long. BTW, I am disabled because of depression caused by stress coming from my previous job.

I am wondering if they will ask me to pay back the money I earned from the RCA job for the past 2 months? or I might lost my DR simply because of this RCA job?

thanks again

GSBS  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 1:30:20 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 242 time(s) in 205 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rchx Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post

thank you for your response, but seems I confused you; (RCA does not have pension)

If possible I prefer to quit RCA job to keep the approved DR. Because I already feel the stress of the RCA job, I don't think I can keep this job for long. BTW, I am disabled because of depression caused by stress coming from my previous job.

I am wondering if they will ask me to pay back the money I earned from the RCA job for the past 2 months? or I might lost my DR simply because of this RCA job?

thanks again

You are welcome but please don't take my answer over any applicable OPM rule or regulation. I don't know if you will get SSDI and have to deal with that offset, however there is a $1 to $1 offset if you start earning any money with the Government, a few exceptions. Then there's the 80% Earnings Limitation before you are considered restored. Then there's the yearly earnings statement, how do you explain the employer and job you took? Not to mention any back pay due could have been wiped out. More importantly, what are you going to do with the current job? Any job but that one, sounds like a mess!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed