Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

85 Pages«<838485
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Marie93  
#1681 Posted : Sunday, December 22, 2019 10:43:01 PM(UTC)
Marie93

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RN94509 Go to Quoted Post
For anyone hired in Waves 1,2, or 3, how are you liking the job?

I was hired in wave 2. I'll be leaving for Unit 3 training in January.

Honesty, the job is great. I spent 9 plus years answering the phones for the service. Compared to that this job is a dream. Except for one of my fellow new hires who's a pain in the ass.

A few helpful tips. Schedule in ics days to work on new cases and print out the ics summary screen and create your folder every monday. Check your statutes every Monday: let your manager and OJI of you have any within 12 months. Check your trust funds every Monday.

I'm finding being flexible with deadlines helps me more than them: but I always have two deadlines so I can issue my L3164 unless they dont meet the 2246 deadline.

But like I said, the jobs awesome. I dont ever dread Monday's, but there is never enough time in the day on busy days.

Glad you are enjoying it. I definitely agree there isn't enough hours in the day to finish everything you need. During the first year, comp time isn't a thing, so you just leave work at your cubicle, and get to it the next day you are in. I also know that different GM's like different things so it is important to know what your GM wants. They are the one's doing the EQRS and as you said, scheduling is important because this job is all about judgement and time management.

It sounds like you both enjoy the job and are doing all the right things. That is good to hear.
scottyd27  
#1682 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2019 6:54:10 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 133 post(s)
Most manager don’t want you on the phones.

This is a field job. And in the face position.

You work the field not the phones.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1683 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2019 10:56:15 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post

Once you are off probation, telework and you have a stable amount of case inventory, I agree. It's important to be in the field at minimum 2 days maybe even 3 minimum a week. However, if you are on probation and your cases are far away and you are not allowed to go out on your own yet, it's up to your manager and OJI when to go out so it's not as much a field job then, but maybe a preparation for going out into the field job with field visits sprinkled in until you are cut loose. Our manager wants us in the office twice a pay period. Now, technically, field time is considered office work, but it sometimes is easier to do work in the office because there is more materials and if you have a shared administrative associate, they can help with sending out returns and remittance you collect. Otherwise, having your own UPS account is paramount if you can't get back to the POD.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 24, 2019 3:39:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RN94509  
#1684 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2019 12:32:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 85 post(s)

I'm well aware.. I'm very thankful I'm not on the phones anymore.

How often are you in the field?
scottyd27  
#1685 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 7:19:41 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Once you are off probation, telework and you have a stable amount of case inventory, I agree. It's important to be in the field at minimum 2 days maybe even 3 minimum a week. However, if you are on probation and your cases are far away and you are not allowed to go out on your own yet, it's up to your manager and OJI when to go out so it's not as much a field job then, but maybe a preparation for going out into the field job with field visits sprinkled in until you are cut loose. Our manager wants us in the office twice a pay period. Now, technically, field time is considered office work, but it sometimes is easier to do work in the office because there is more materials and if you have a shared administrative associate, they can help with sending out returns and remittance you collect. Otherwise, having your own UPS account is paramount if you can't get back to the POD.

You’re not out in the field by yourselves yet?

federalgovtjobseeker  
#1686 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 12:05:04 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 73 post(s)

You’re not out in the field by yourselves yet?

I have been out by myself but I know some trainees that have not and they have been working for 8 months that still go out with their OJI's. From what I have heard, there is a training book managers and OJI's are given for this hiring but it seems like not many have followed it because every POD is doing it differently.
RN94509  
#1687 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 9:30:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Every Area and sometimes it seems every territory is doing things slightly differently. I know some wave 1 & 2 fully released to go out on their own on imf and BMF, and others in the same office partially released just for IMF, some for second contact. But in my opinion thats how it should be. Everyone grasps this stuff at their own pace.
scottyd27  
#1688 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 7:17:57 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

There is an OJI guide. It’s a guide every trainee is at a different level
Rss Feed  Atom Feed