Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<373839
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
honeybee11  
#761 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 8:52:29 AM(UTC)
honeybee11

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting but I've been browsing this forum for a couple of weeks trying to decide if this is for me. I appreciate everyone's honest opinions and insight that I have read so far.

I applied to 3 IRS jobs, the TCO, Revenue Agent, and Revenue Officer.

Revenue Officer is the only one (so far) that I've gotten a tentative offer for.

I work in a local government tax office currently. I like my job but I'm looking for something with a little more flexible schedule for a better work/life balance. I work 7:30-4:30 right now but with commute time I am away from my family from 6:45-5:15. However, I'm holding back on accepting the job for a few reasons and wanted to ask input before I make a final decision.

These are the things holding me back:

-I'm worried I will give up my current career and it will not be a better work/life balance. After the one year probation, is it a high chance you are allowed to telework? The POD is 2 hours away from my current home and I don't see moving any time in the future. Right now my commute is 90 minutes a day. I think I could make it work for the first year if I know for sure I will be eligible to telework.

-I'm a little concerned with meeting clients out in the field, in my personal vehicle, alone. I work with our local inspector(which I realize is completely different) but I have never personally been in a field position, any advice or insight into this?

Thank you so much
federalgovtjobseeker  
#762 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:36:43 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: honeybee11 Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting but I've been browsing this forum for a couple of weeks trying to decide if this is for me. I appreciate everyone's honest opinions and insight that I have read so far.

Revenue Officer is the only one (so far) that I've gotten a tentative offer for.

I work in a local government tax office currently. I like my job but I'm looking for something with a little more flexible schedule for a better work/life balance. I work 7:30-4:30 right now but with commute time I am away from my family from 6:45-5:15. However, I'm holding back on accepting the job for a few reasons and wanted to ask input before I make a final decision.

-I'm worried I will give up my current career and it will not be a better work/life balance. After the one year probation, is it a high chance you are allowed to telework? The POD is 2 hours away from my current home and I don't see moving any time in the future. Right now my commute is 90 minutes a day. I think I could make it work for the first year if I know for sure I will be eligible to telework.

-I'm a little concerned with meeting clients out in the field, in my personal vehicle, alone. I work with our local inspector(which I realize is completely different) but I have never personally been in a field position, any advice or insight into this?

Thank you so much

Well, first I would accept a tentative offer if you haven't already, because a tentative offer is not your final offer. It keeps you in the process to make a decision later. Second, the Revenue Officer and Revenue Agent jobs are field positions so you do have to be comfortable working independently and meeting face to face with taxpayers in an unfamiliar environment. The Tax Compliance Officer is an office job where you interview taxpayers face to face as well, but you are in the office. No field work is involved. You have less freedom though as far as working independently though as far as deadlines for the TCO position. The RA and RO positions also have more complicated cases than the TCO. Also, you need to understand the RO's job is to collect and secure taxes, while an RA and TCO audits. The last two are accounting related. I don't know much about telework opportunities, so I will leave that open to the people who actually know more about telework opportunities. Lastly, 2 hours does seem a bit much to drive although you said it's 90 minutes already for you. It really at the end of the day all depends upon what you WANT to do. If you think the pros outweigh the cons, then go for it. Good luck in your decision making process!

Edited by user Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:51:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
honeybee11 on 3/21/2019(UTC)
scottyd27  
#763 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:48:18 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 85 post(s)

Thank you so much

As long as you receive a “fully successful rating” you are telework elidble after the training year. If you aren’t fully successful after the training year you will be unemployed.

If you are afraid to meet taxpayers in the field then this job isn’t for you. Case resolution is in the field. This is a field job. As to the car. Some PODs have a G-CAR. I don’t use it because it’s a pain to drive to get it return it and drive home. If you take the job we are classified as civil law enforcement now and you can have your state suppress you vehicle and property information so only LE can see it.

But if you don’t want to go to the field then this job is not for you.
thanks 2 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
federalgovtjobseeker on 3/21/2019(UTC), honeybee11 on 3/21/2019(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#764 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:59:14 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Thank you so much

Also, as far as being concerned about meeting clients face to face, can I ask why? People and businesses need to pay taxes. I personally think it's not a bad job. They really have no choice in the end, although there are different ways to resolve a case. Some sales jobs require you to meet clients at their residence or make sales pitches in the field. Personally, that is more scary because they don't know you are coming at all. With this job, probably most of them know. I could be wrong, but just my guess.

Edited by user Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:01:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

honeybee11  
#765 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:07:54 AM(UTC)
honeybee11

United States

Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post

Thank you so much

Also, as far as being concerned about meeting clients face to face, can I ask why? People and businesses need to pay taxes. I personally think it's not a bad job. They really have no choice in the end, although there are different ways to resolve a case. Some sales jobs require you to meet clients at their residence or make sales pitches in the field. Personally, that is more scary because they don't know you are coming at all. With this job, probably most of them know. I could be wrong, but just my guess.

I would say my job now is exactly like the TCO position, but with local government. Going out in the field is just outside of my comfort zone. I'm a 30 year old female that weighs under 140lbs and I've seen how some of the people I meet in my office act, but I have an emergency button that I can press if I need to. I just don't want to risk my life to collect taxes, not to sound dramatic.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#766 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:18:08 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post

Thank you so much

I would say my job now is exactly like the TCO position, but with local government. Going out in the field is just outside of my comfort zone. I'm a 30 year old female that weighs under 140lbs and I've seen how some of the people I meet in my office act, but I have an emergency button that I can press if I need to. I just don't want to risk my life to collect taxes, not to sound dramatic.

I understand. My best advice is to weigh the pros and cons of each job, then decide. It's important to do what makes you happy and the most comfortable. Field work is not for everyone, but I do think this job's field work is a lot easier than sales at least when you have to knock on doors. Since this job doesn't have a requirement to carry a firearm, I assume it's presumed to be safe for everyone, but can be uncomfortable at times. If the office makes you more comfortable, take that into consideration in your ultimate decision. Good luck!

jj62  
#767 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:30:30 AM(UTC)
jj62

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
@Honeybee

One of the things that I am focused on moving forward in the process is whether the POD I choose will honor the 0700-3:30 pm work shift for the training year---as listed in the job announcement.
Being able to come in a 0700 allows me to make a reasonable commute time of 1 hour, instead of 1.5 hours each way (or more) commuting in Los Angeles. Each minute after 5:45 am adds an exponential increase of time to your commute, with the same being true in the afternoon after 4 pm.

The ability to get to work on time and in a reasonable amount of time, and come home reasonably, is more important to me than more money. That's just the way I look at the work life balance.

Now I just need to figure out how to lock in the work hours at the POD before I accept a TO and then find out later I can't reasonably make later work hours.
scottyd27  
#768 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:30:59 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Honeybee this job is not for you.
thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed