Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

81 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottyd27  
#21 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 2:38:39 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ironman0786 Go to Quoted Post
Anyone can offer insight on a typical week as an RO? How often are you on the field after your training, any during OJI (on the job instruction) period? Do they assign field locations based on where you live so your commute is short, or are the field locations nearby the field office you are working out of after the first year (for Urban field locations)? And how quickly do they allow Telework when hired under mass hiring in early level position. (I know Union contract says after 2 years or when you reach journey grade, but it also says case by case the manager may waive those requirements) How likely is that? How long are you behind a computer writing up a report/researching, and how long are you actively on the field? How physical is the job?

Thank you.

I don’t think there is a one sizes fits all answer to this.

During your training year it’s pretty regimented. My PODs trainee schedule was 8-430.

After the unit training I was able to get to the field usually twice a week. Some with an OJI or your manger but most of the time alone. But office days were 8-430.

My typical week is Monday I telework. My TOD is 6am-230PM. Tuesday and Thursday I usually do my field work.

Wednesday and Friday I telework 6am-230.

The only time I go to the office is for what’s called Reveune Officer is the day (ROD) where you handle walk in traffic for your group and post checks for the group and group meetings. So that’s usually 3 days a month in the actual office for me.

I tend to get more work done when I telework. Less distractions.

I don’t know how other PODs are assigned case work, but my POd does it by zip code.

I choose to live about an hour and 20 minutes from my actual POD so my commute is different.

But the manager usually won’t assign you case work in the zip code you live. No one wants to run into a taxpayer who’s bank account you just levied at the grocery store if you don’t have to.

But I don’t believe any manager will assign case work on your commute. I personally don’t care where they send me. I get 54.5 cents a mile to drive and my days starts when I start the car. So send me wherever.

I’ve said this to my group manager, my territory manager and to the director of field collections with respect to the job in general.

I enjoy serving my country. And the only job that I’ve ever had that was better than the RO job was being a crew chief on F-15 fighters in the US Air Force.

The only job I want other than the RO job is to work in criminal investigations as an 1811 criminal investigator.

Other than the Air Force calling and saying we need a middle aged fat guy to crew jets or CI finally offering me a place a FLETC, I’m not leaving. The RO position.
thanks 3 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
ironman0786 on 11/6/2018(UTC), CareerChangeTime on 3/21/2019(UTC), Lud on 7/30/2019(UTC)
ironman0786  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 1:50:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I'm going between what I would end up enjoying more, being an RO and RA.

RO field office that I applied for is like 10 mins from my house, amazing commuting, especially, when for the last 7 years or so I have been commuting to a Service Center 1 hour away. Every RO I have asked they like their job.

RA offices are between 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 mins, each way, to each of the closet locations that have openings that are primary location. I can handle one year, meaning job starts April 2019, so April 2020 I wish to be teleworking full time outside of fieldwork and office meetings and stuff (be it once every 2 weeks, not a problem.

I wish my fieldwork is not towards densely populated areas like Manhattan where it really is impossible to drive to, or what if you have to end of going across Manhattan to New Jersey, even if its during your TOD, it takes 3 hours easy each way, and it is a nerve-racking, bumper to bumper drive, for which I don't have the patience to handle.

It's good that they pay for parking so I assume you can park your car in a parking garage rather than try to find street parking. Do you charge everything on the provided GOV card, or can you pay for it yourself and request reimbursement? rack up those miles on your credit card. lol.

I don't mind a 30-45 min field location, where I am from that is like a 20-mile radius.

BTW during your field day, do you have multiple appts with taxpayers, so is it like a full day of traveling?

scottyd27  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 4:10:09 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

I always take multiple cases to the field. Some days you’ll get 4 cases done and some days you’ll get one. Depends on the cases and if you actually make contact

You need to be flexible. Especially in your training year.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 6, 2018 4:12:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SoylentGreen  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:44:40 AM(UTC)
SoylentGreen

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Quote:

Finally, how likely is it to get a 4/10 schedule? And I know telework employees are required to come into the office twice a pay period (for frequent), but is there a special reason you go in the office 4 times a pay period? I currently have a 4/10 at a Campus position, I would like to get that back if I get the RO job, and would like to do 2 days telework, 1 day office, 1 day field, is that something you think would be allowed, or possible at some point?

I was an RA for a couple of years in a smaller office, but we 10 or so ROs in the office. At least two of them worked a 4/10 schedule, so yes, that is possible. I don't know that it will be possible until you are fully trained. As an RA, I couldn't work an alternate work schedule like a 4/10 for the first two years. I did not know any new ROs (all of our ROs were GS-11 or GS-12), but your situation may be different, but I would expect that you probably won't be able to telework or work AWS for a little while.

scottyd27  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:20:21 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

At least your first year will be a 8-430 schedule.

And since they made journey level GS11 I wouldn’t count on telework for two yeRs

Edited by user Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:23:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LadyJ98!  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 11:46:59 AM(UTC)
LadyJ98!

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Any 2016 new hires (internal or external)recall how long it took to receive BQ status or Category rating after the first cutoff?
scottyd27  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 12:25:52 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: missjones Go to Quoted Post
Any 2016 new hires (internal or external)recall how long it took to receive BQ status or Category rating after the first cutoff?

If you got in before the first cut off probably be soon.
SoylentGreen  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 12:56:13 PM(UTC)
SoylentGreen

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 31 post(s)

RO field office that I applied for is like 10 mins from my house, amazing commuting, especially, when for the last 7 years or so I have been commuting to a Service Center 1 hour away. Every RO I have asked they like their job.

RA offices are between 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 mins, each way, to each of the closet locations that have openings that are primary location. I can handle one year, meaning job starts April 2019, so April 2020 I wish to be teleworking full time outside of fieldwork and office meetings and stuff (be it once every 2 weeks, not a problem.

I wish my fieldwork is not towards densely populated areas like Manhattan where it really is impossible to drive to, or what if you have to end of going across Manhattan to New Jersey, even if its during your TOD, it takes 3 hours easy each way, and it is a nerve-racking, bumper to bumper drive, for which I don't have the patience to handle.

It's good that they pay for parking so I assume you can park your car in a parking garage rather than try to find street parking. Do you charge everything on the provided GOV card, or can you pay for it yourself and request reimbursement? rack up those miles on your credit card. lol.

I don't mind a 30-45 min field location, where I am from that is like a 20-mile radius.

BTW during your field day, do you have multiple appts with taxpayers, so is it like a full day of traveling?

RAs and ROs are a bit different. ROs typically have a larger inventory of cases, so they may work more than one case in a day and travel to more than one location. When I went in the field as an RA, I typically worked on the case that I had, and tried to finish as much of it as I could in the field. If I got finished, I brought another case to work on. I worked in the Denver metro area, and did not go more than 50 miles from the POD. If your office is in a more rural area, you may have to travel farther to audits.

They pay for your parking if you have to park downtown in a garage, and you get 54.5 cents per mile. I think registered 500 miles in a month once, but usually I was closer to 200. They will also pay tolls if those apply. They will also pay for lodging if you go more than 50 miles from your home or POD and you have to stay overnight somewhere.

You will not telework or work an AWS as an RA for 2 years.

LadyJ98!  
#29 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2018 12:48:00 PM(UTC)
LadyJ98!

United States

I reached to HR asking when would the invitation to take the ROSA be sent out for externals, and they stated within the next 2 weeks. Just FYI
thanks 1 user thanked LadyJ98! for this useful post.
Kevin19901 on 11/8/2018(UTC)
scottyd27  
#30 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:50:07 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: SoylentGreen Go to Quoted Post

RAs and ROs are a bit different. ROs typically have a larger inventory of cases, so they may work more than one case in a day and travel to more than one location. When I went in the field as an RA, I typically worked on the case that I had, and tried to finish as much of it as I could in the field. If I got finished, I brought another case to work on. I worked in the Denver metro area, and did not go more than 50 miles from the POD. If your office is in a more rural area, you may have to travel farther to audits.

They pay for your parking if you have to park downtown in a garage, and you get 54.5 cents per mile. I think registered 500 miles in a month once, but usually I was closer to 200. They will also pay tolls if those apply. They will also pay for lodging if you go more than 50 miles from your home or POD and you have to stay overnight somewhere.

LOL I have 867 billable miles this month already.

I have a big territory though.
ironman0786  
#31 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 12:08:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: SoylentGreen Go to Quoted Post

LOL I have 867 billable miles this month already.

I have a big territory though.

My current job commuting to work is 300 miles a week. I'm trying to cut this.

With the field being during your TOD then it's not so bad, but if you have field locations that take time to reach, how can you get your work done and get back home by the end of your shift? In urban locations at least, it can take 1-2 hours each way to travel 30-40 miles, you only end with a few hours left for actual work. How long does field meeting last (in general terms)? I understand every case is different but I'm speaking day to day common average cases.

Edited by user Friday, November 9, 2018 12:09:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scottyd27  
#32 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 3:13:40 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Maybe the RO job isn’t for you.

You plan your work. You estimate and sometimes not everything. You want gets done.

If you’re looking to ‘cut your commute’. Then maybe a secretary position or something in a POD would be a better option.

I personally like going to the field. No one is micro-managing, my email isn’t singing, the phone isn’t ringing etc.

And you get paid mileage.

Edited by user Friday, November 9, 2018 3:17:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LadyJ98!  
#33 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 10:51:51 AM(UTC)
LadyJ98!

United States

Just received the email to take the ROSA. Check your emails.
thanks 1 user thanked LadyJ98! for this useful post.
Kevin19901 on 11/15/2018(UTC)
Boboddy  
#34 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 11:16:17 AM(UTC)
Boboddy

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Got mine too. Any experiences on the ROSA from current ROs? I'm curious what the job simulation and writing section entails. I assume they give you instructions and examples before the timer starts?
scottyd27  
#35 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:08:50 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

I took it three years ago.

I can’t remember
scottyd27  
#36 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:13:17 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

They tell me I took a writing exam but I don’t remember it and neither does anyone I got hired with.

The simulation if I remember correctly it’s common sense situational awareness and logical thinking.

You don’t need to have RO experience for it or even experience with taxes.
cmunozcpa  
#37 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:07:41 PM(UTC)
cmunozcpa

United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 20 post(s)
ROSA email received as well.
“As you think, so shall you become.” -Bruce Lee
CPAHopefull  
#38 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:16:45 PM(UTC)
CPAHopefull

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I received an email too. Good luck everyone!
LadyJ98!  
#39 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:47:52 PM(UTC)
LadyJ98!

United States

Its been a minute since I’ve applied for anything externally. I checked online and it states, “scheduling for fingerprints or processing session”. What’s the processing session?
scottyd27  
#40 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 5:58:34 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Where you get your picture take for you HSPD-12 smart card and for Your fed creds.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed