Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

84 Pages«<8081828384>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Northlyn  
#1621 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 5:07:22 PM(UTC)
Northlyn

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KIRS1 Go to Quoted Post
The revenue officer post for externals expires tomorrow 8/20. Anyone know when it’ll be reposted? Do we have to retake the ROSA and interview again or can we use our current scores? Thanks.

I don't know, but I wanted to at least acknowledge your question and will defer to someone else who is more familiar with reposting of jobs and subsequent testing results. Good luck. I hope that it all comes together for you.

The only thought I had (of course, speculation-so take it with a grain of salt) is if they have not met the hiring quota, I would imagine the job would be reposted. I'm certain that since we are so close to the end of the fiscal year that all of that will be up in the air. If it is reposted, maybe the announcement will clarify your questions.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today.
thanks 1 user thanked Northlyn for this useful post.
KIRS1 on 8/19/2019(UTC)
Lud  
#1622 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 8:18:30 PM(UTC)
Lud

United States

Originally Posted by: Northlyn Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Lud Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Northlyn,
I am still waiting to hear if I am selected or not. My status says “Referred to the selecting official” and underneath, in green “You have answered all required questions for this grade”. When I contacted HR, 3 weeks ago, I was told that the emails will go out in a few weeks. I was hoping to hear something back today and if not selected, then move on with something else that is being offered to me at the moment, in a private sector.

Ugh. I wish I had something to say that would be helpful, but unfortunately, I am waiting (rooting) for you all just as much as you are waiting and hoping. I hired on in 2009. The posting was only open for 8 days. I applied mid-January (external) and pretty much put it on the back burner and went on with life as usual. I have a family member who is employed with another large agency who jumped ship from the IRS. They told me that things move very S-L-O-W-L-Y, so I didn't really put too much stock in it until they called to interview me in April. I was offered the position about two weeks later and started in May of 2009. I actually changed jobs before the interview. I was only at the new job for two months. As soon as I got the call, I accepted and gave my two weeks' notice.

For this gig, I applied in the first wave (end of October). Called for interviews early December. Got the FO the day the govt shut down 12/21. Original start date was March 3rd, but got pushed back to 4/15. I'm an internal, so I don't know the timeline for other paths besides what my OJI has shared with me and what I'm reading on the boards. Things were quite different when I hired on. I can only surmise that the process is pretty gummed for so many reasons that have been mentioned in prior posts. The only thing I can offer is support and encouragement to hang in there.

Obviously, only you can decide what is best for your personal situation. I hope that it comes through for you because we need the people and you sound like you're willing to work. It's a lot of training and the OJI part of it is intense (in MY experience. I can't/won't speak) for anyone else. Not everyone can cut it, but if you pay close attention to your OJI and show a willingness to learn, you'll get past your probationary period.

Right now is a good time to on board because there are so many openings and the mobility within the agency is a lot easier than it was in the past. It took me 10 years of applying for anything to get out of where I was. It was a position with no growth potential. Max out at a nine, but I would have had to compete for it. The job wasn't worth the few extra dollars, so I waited and kept applying. When I got the BQ rating, I almost fell out of my chair! Ha ha.

Good luck. I know the waiting game is hard.

Thank you for the encouragement Northlyn and for taking time to respond.
I need to communicate my decision to the other job offer this week so I think I will just go with them. Until the IRS calls/emails me (hopefully!), if not - I will keep applying because I really want this (RO) job. I should’ve prepared better for the interview... oh well.
Btw I admire your persistence and determination - you kept applying for 10 years! wow
scottyd27  
#1623 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:10:31 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 132 post(s)
I think if you haven’t got an offer by now you’re not getting one. Not saying it’s not possible since a lot of people flaked out.

But realistically the job announcement expires today. If they have to hire people to replace the flakes then they will do it from others that already interviewed
guruebby  
#1624 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:46:30 AM(UTC)
guruebby

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KIRS1 Go to Quoted Post
The revenue officer post for externals expires tomorrow 8/20. Anyone know when it’ll be reposted? Do we have to retake the ROSA and interview again or can we use our current scores? Thanks.

Based on my research (I can't remember where I saw it), the ROSA scores are good for a year. Interviews, however, will probably need to be done again with each round.
Marie93  
#1625 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:40:56 AM(UTC)
Marie93

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hello everyone,
I had an interview in the beginning of June ( cat A), contacted the HR rep for the update at the end of July and was told they just finished conducted interviews for their territory.
It’s been two weeks and still nothing. I know they take time but based on your experience, how long does it take for them to let one know if they’ve been selected or not?
Thank you!

I think you still could have a chance since it is a 12 month rooster. In addition the announcement closes today, that means people can apply today. It doesn’t mean all hiring has to be done by today. But, obviously if you have a sure thing pending, go ahead and accept it.

Good Luck
thanks 1 user thanked Marie93 for this useful post.
Lud on 8/20/2019(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1626 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:26:58 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Hope all the new hires on 8/19 have enjoyed orientation thus far. Definitely a great job to get into the IRS if you can make it work!
Northlyn  
#1627 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:24:03 PM(UTC)
Northlyn

United States

Btw I admire your persistence and determination - you kept applying for 10 years! wow

Where I lived, there was nothing outside of the call site I was qualified for, and anything that was, was going to be a pay cut or I was not qualified. No RO positions in my town, so I just kept applying to other agencies, and other locations. I was desperate to get out of ACS. So it was actually about 2 years into the job when I realized that I didn't want to do that anymore. But eventually, I became very good at my job. So I kept looking and doing the job. I kind of gave up for awhile. One day, I was talking to my boss and she asked me what my dream job was. I told that I had my dream job, but I had to leave for personal reasons. She told me that I didn't belong there; it wasn't my passion. It was the best thing she could have told me. She started sending me links for jobs. I stepped up my game and rewrote my resume. Took me five hours to lay it all and pull the duties I performed together into a nice, neat package. She was big on the mock interviews, but she was on a detail and couldn't do mine. I applied to five places, got three interviews. Nailed the first one to the preferred city and got the offer. I poked my head in her office and told her I got the job. I think she was surprised. I'm not sure who was more surprised; her or me. I didn't have a lot of confidence after so many rejections, but I was hungry for this. So I poured my heart and soul into it. It paid off. It sounds arrogant, but as soon as I finished that interview, I knew I nailed it. The other two didn't go as smoothly. When they came back with the offer, I just knew I couldn't turn it down. I lost out on my locality pay, but the trade off was worth it. I'm happy where I am. I work with no drama people.

thanks 2 users thanked Northlyn for this useful post.
guruebby on 8/23/2019(UTC), Lud on 8/26/2019(UTC)
Marie93  
#1628 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 8:06:25 AM(UTC)
Marie93

Where I lived, there was nothing outside of the call site I was qualified for, and anything that was, was going to be a pay cut or I was not qualified. No RO positions in my town, so I just kept applying to other agencies, and other locations. I was desperate to get out of ACS. So it was actually about 2 years into the job when I realized that I didn't want to do that anymore. But eventually, I became very good at my job. So I kept looking and doing the job. I kind of gave up for awhile. One day, I was talking to my boss and she asked me what my dream job was. I told that I had my dream job, but I had to leave for personal reasons. She told me that I didn't belong there; it wasn't my passion. It was the best thing she could have told me. She started sending me links for jobs. I stepped up my game and rewrote my resume. Took me five hours to lay it all and pull the duties I performed together into a nice, neat package. She was big on the mock interviews, but she was on a detail and couldn't do mine. I applied to five places, got three interviews. Nailed the first one to the preferred city and got the offer. I poked my head in her office and told her I got the job. I think she was surprised. I'm not sure who was more surprised; her or me. I didn't have a lot of confidence after so many rejections, but I was hungry for this. So I poured my heart and soul into it. It paid off. It sounds arrogant, but as soon as I finished that interview, I knew I nailed it. The other two didn't go as smoothly. When they came back with the offer, I just knew I couldn't turn it down. I lost out on my locality pay, but the trade off was worth it. I'm happy where I am. I work with no drama people.

Congrats to you! You earned this. Sorry about the loss of the locality pay, you may get it back one day. You may move back.

Edited by user Friday, August 23, 2019 4:04:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Northlyn  
#1629 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 5:34:20 PM(UTC)
Northlyn

United States

Originally Posted by: Marie93 Go to Quoted Post

Congrats to you! You earned this. Sorry about the loss of the locality pay, you may get it back one day. You may move back.

Thank you for the kind words, but I have absolutely ZERO desire to go back there. :)

It would be nice to get locality pay, but it was a trade off for me. I did my research and took the plunge anyway. NTEU has been negotiating for awhile to no avail. The per diem helps when I travel. I also lost a huge amount of OT when I left ACS. I got used to living on that and you don't get OT as an RO. You get comp time (that's what I was told-which is fine), but the comp time doesn't apply in the first year. To be completely honest, I'm lucky to be able to take a lunch, let alone time off! Time management and a lot of cases in the first year. I've gone out a few times without my OJI. Simple cases, but a good way to cut your teeth for what's coming in another year.

I like doing the research. Sometimes, it does get a bit tedious, but it makes the day fly by.

Marie93  
#1630 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 6:59:20 AM(UTC)
Marie93

Thank you for the kind words, but I have absolutely ZERO desire to go back there. :)

It would be nice to get locality pay, but it was a trade off for me. I did my research and took the plunge anyway. NTEU has been negotiating for awhile to no avail. The per diem helps when I travel. I also lost a huge amount of OT when I left ACS. I got used to living on that and you don't get OT as an RO. You get comp time (that's what I was told-which is fine), but the comp time doesn't apply in the first year. To be completely honest, I'm lucky to be able to take a lunch, let alone time off! Time management and a lot of cases in the first year. I've gone out a few times without my OJI. Simple cases, but a good way to cut your teeth for what's coming in another year.

I like doing the research. Sometimes, it does get a bit tedious, but it makes the day fly by.

I meant move back to your original city, not move back to the ACS job. The RO job is not easy, but I think you will like it a lot better than ACS. The training year will fly by and it does get easier.

Edited by user Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:01:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Northlyn  
#1631 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 11:42:31 AM(UTC)
Northlyn

United States

I meant move back to your original city, not move back to the ACS job. The RO job is not easy, but I think you will like it a lot better than ACS. The training year will fly by and it does get easier.

No way! I'm done with the old city. :D
thanks 1 user thanked Northlyn for this useful post.
Marie93 on 8/24/2019(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1632 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 2:08:12 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

How has everyone liked the job so far from the 8/19 new hires? Still want to work here? I hope so. Great opportunity and job.
JacqueRae  
#1633 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 5:01:59 PM(UTC)
JacqueRae

United States

Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post
How has everyone liked the job so far from the 8/19 new hires? Still want to work here? I hope so. Great opportunity and job.

I started 8/19 and I love it so far. Love the office, the people, the job itself seems like it will be cool.

Our POD is in NYC. So it'll be interesting to say the least. NYC is full of characters lol.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 27, 2019 5:02:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Backtrackin  
#1634 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 4:54:00 AM(UTC)
Backtrackin

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So, I received my TO on 8/12, after emailing about the status of my interview. I did my fingerprints and ID check/photo for credentials on 8/19. The start date listed on my TO is for Tuesday, Sept 3... in 4 days. I have yet to receive a final offer or reporting instructions for Tuesday. I emailed HR several times this week and have only received an "I'll check on it; not sure what's going on" reply. I have been through several background/fingerprint checks so I am confident it is that HR dropped the ball.
Yesterday I sent an email to the HR person that scheduled my interview and the manager with whom I did my interview, giving them a synopsis of my issue. Still no reply. I'm half-tempted to just show up on Tuesday and ask where I'm supposed to go!
I wonder how many times people are considered no-shows, when in fact they just never received a final offer or reporting instructions. It really makes me wish I would have accepted that other job I turned down for this one.
SuperHuman  
#1635 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 5:42:25 AM(UTC)
SuperHuman

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Backtrackin Go to Quoted Post
So, I received my TO on 8/12, after emailing about the status of my interview. I did my fingerprints and ID check/photo for credentials on 8/19. The start date listed on my TO is for Tuesday, Sept 3... in 4 days. I have yet to receive a final offer or reporting instructions for Tuesday. I emailed HR several times this week and have only received an "I'll check on it; not sure what's going on" reply. I have been through several background/fingerprint checks so I am confident it is that HR dropped the ball.
Yesterday I sent an email to the HR person that scheduled my interview and the manager with whom I did my interview, giving them a synopsis of my issue. Still no reply. I'm half-tempted to just show up on Tuesday and ask where I'm supposed to go!
I wonder how many times people are considered no-shows, when in fact they just never received a final offer or reporting instructions. It really makes me wish I would have accepted that other job I turned down for this one.

I’m in the same boat. I receive my TO. I did my Fingerprints at the beginning of August. I’m a federal employee as well. I was told they hadn’t received the fingerprints back. So there may be a delay in the fingerprinting process. With mass hiring a like these, I’m sure it happens. I do know one thing for certain, it’s hard being patient, but what else can you do? 🤷🏾‍♀️
Let go and Let God.
shipwreck75  
#1636 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 6:36:46 AM(UTC)
shipwreck75

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have a FO and a report for the 16th of Sep, trying to info from my HR rep has been tough. I am guessing they are swamped but an email response takes 30 secs, I can see they are reading them but not responding. Its for an HCO job, so hopefully I will not be the norm once I get on board.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1637 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 6:36:57 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

I hope you got your reporting instructions and FO because Phase 1 training is September 16th-27th and you need to start on Tuesday if you are going to be part of this hiring wave of newly hired Revenue Officers.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1638 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 6:38:06 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Originally Posted by: JacqueRae Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post

I started 8/19 and I love it so far. Love the office, the people, the job itself seems like it will be cool.

Our POD is in NYC. So it'll be interesting to say the least. NYC is full of characters lol.

Definitely a good job. A lot of work to do so days will fly by for you!
federalgovtjobseeker  
#1639 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 6:39:43 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Originally Posted by: SuperHuman Go to Quoted Post

I’m in the same boat. I receive my TO. I did my Fingerprints at the beginning of August. I’m a federal employee as well. I was told they hadn’t received the fingerprints back. So there may be a delay in the fingerprinting process. With mass hiring a like these, I’m sure it happens. I do know one thing for certain, it’s hard being patient, but what else can you do? 🤷🏾‍♀️
Let go and Let God.

If you want to work for the IRS, get used to the hurry up and wait brand of working.
Marie93  
#1640 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 11:50:53 PM(UTC)
Marie93

I guess they will be working this weekend? I think it will get straightened out. I would just keep emailing. I know a lot of people say the IRS moves slow, but this is not normal. Stay on top of it. Keep your phone with you. I am sure it will work out. Maybe the start date has been pushed back.

thanks 1 user thanked Marie93 for this useful post.
Backtrackin on 9/2/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed