Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vol  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:52:31 PM(UTC)
Vol

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
So I applied to the same job posted both for "Competitive Service" and "All US Citizens".

I am told that I appear on the list twice and that I am a highly qualified individual, and they really want to bring me on-board.
But today I receive the TO and they picked the cert for "Merit Promotion" to extend me the TO through that one, and because it is a "Merit Promotion". I only get a lateral transfer.

I cannot use my previous private sector experience to negotiate any salary, or negotiate anything because it is a "Merit Promotion" and HR decided to go ahead and use that certificate instead of the "All US Citizens" one. When during the interview, I was asked questions and answered with both private sector (3 years of private sector exp) and federal gov (which I've been for a year). I am literally best qualified, appear on the list twice but HR screws me over by picking the Merit Promotion one.

I guess I learned my lesson and never applying for a Merit Promotion announcement if there is both announcements.
Because they tell you "Under MP you can't negotiate anything." but I'm pretty sure my 1 year as a federal employee does not make me best qualified, but that in addition to the private sector experience which you do not allow me to use to negotiate pay. The HR lady was "Yeah... because of the cert that was picked it being MP, you cannot negotiate anything.", I must have been a super hero for my 1 year of federal service in my career to make me best qualified.

I'm this close to turning down the TO. HR and their underhanded tactics.
I'm just waiting here waiting for the third impact.
cyberfx1024  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 3:19:23 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vol Go to Quoted Post
So I applied to the same job posted both for "Competitive Service" and "All US Citizens".

I am told that I appear on the list twice and that I am a highly qualified individual, and they really want to bring me on-board.
But today I receive the TO and they picked the cert for "Merit Promotion" to extend me the TO through that one, and because it is a "Merit Promotion". I only get a lateral transfer.

I cannot use my previous private sector experience to negotiate any salary, or negotiate anything because it is a "Merit Promotion" and HR decided to go ahead and use that certificate instead of the "All US Citizens" one. When during the interview, I was asked questions and answered with both private sector (3 years of private sector exp) and federal gov (which I've been for a year). I am literally best qualified, appear on the list twice but HR screws me over by picking the Merit Promotion one.

I guess I learned my lesson and never applying for a Merit Promotion announcement if there is both announcements.
Because they tell you "Under MP you can't negotiate anything." but I'm pretty sure my 1 year as a federal employee does not make me best qualified, but that in addition to the private sector experience which you do not allow me to use to negotiate pay. The HR lady was "Yeah... because of the cert that was picked it being MP, you cannot negotiate anything.", I must have been a super hero for my 1 year of federal service in my career to make me best qualified.

What grade are you, and what was the grade level for the job posted in both announcements?
Vol  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 3:33:20 PM(UTC)
Vol

Originally Posted by: cyberfx1024 Go to Quoted Post

What grade are you, and what was the grade level for the job posted in both announcements?

GS9 now.
Both announcements are GS 9/11/12

cyberfx1024  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 4:27:38 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 51 post(s)

GS9 now.

Well that is the lowest grade that they were wanting to hire people then. Did you have a option to choose the 9, 11,or 12? If you applied to the position as a GS-9 and you clicked that you would take a 9 then that's what they hired you on for.

TheRealOrange  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 2:49:44 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 182 time(s) in 160 post(s)

Are you a preference eligible veteran? If not, that may be the reason. According to OPM, Merit Promotion lets a current or former federal employee apply for a job without having to compete with the general public or people with Veterans Preference. Instead, you compete with other competitive service employees. With the "All US Citizens" vacancy announcement, Veterans Preference applies. So, if you are not preference eligible and there was even one preference eligible veteran on the same certificate, the agency could not reach you. Even if you are preference eligible, the agency may not have been able to reach you based on your specific preference:

CPS - Disability rating of 30% or more (10 points)
CP - Disability rating of at least 10% but less than 30% (10 points)
XP - Disability rating less than 10% (10 points)
TP - Preference eligibles with no disability rating (5 points)
SSP – Sole Survivorship Preference (0 points)

When an agency uses a category rating system, preference eligibile candidates who have a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more (CPS, CP) are placed at the top of the highest category on the referral list (except for scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). XP and TP preference eligibles are placed above non-preference eligibles within their assigned category. So, depending on your Veterans Preference status, or lack thereof, using the Merit Promotion roster may have been the only way the agency could select you and make an offer. Rather than being an "underhanded tactic" used against you, it may have been a targeted tactic to help you get the job offer.
thanks 2 users thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
GWPDA on 10/19/2018(UTC), penrod on 11/5/2018(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 3:32:09 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 96 post(s)

GS9 now.

So, you are going to turn down the TO out of spite? Not very long term focused, are you?
Tic3  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 10:40:58 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
HR and their underhanded tactics.

HR didn't make the selection. The selecting official did.

There's nothing "underhanded" about this.

From the tone of your post, you're never going to be happy there.

I think you probably should do the selecting official and everyone else at that agency a huge favor and turn down the job. Let someone else have it who will be a little more humble and appreciate the opportunity.

Edited by user Friday, October 19, 2018 10:41:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HR Bubba  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 10:43:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 252 time(s) in 202 post(s)
Couple of points:

1. The reason given above with regard to vet preference explains why they may have used the MP list vice the other one (and is very common).

2. With regard to negotiating salary: Based on your statement "...and federal gov (which I've been for a year)." I assume you are a current fed, therefore, regardless of which list they used, you would not be able to negotiate the salary. If you are a current fed and they select you from a MP list, you cannot negotiate salary; federal pay setting rules apply. If they select you from the DE list, you would have to have a break in service of 90 days before you could negotiate the salary; else they could set your pay a couple of different ways: 1) step 1 or 2) use highest previous rate to essentially set your step the same as it currently exists.

Not underhanded HR tactics...federal laws, rules, polices and/or regulations!
DroneBee  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 4:49:52 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Knowledgeable folks: if the candidate was a government employee but switched series could the candidate be offered a higher grade (vice a lateral). Say a candidate was a GS-0340-9 and applied (and was qualified) for a 2210, could the candidate be offered a GS-2201-11? I don't know the answer, but this may be a "loophole" to obtain a higher grade instead of a lateral.
Vol  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:27:22 AM(UTC)
Vol

Originally Posted by: HR Bubba Go to Quoted Post
Couple of points:

1. The reason given above with regard to vet preference explains why they may have used the MP list vice the other one (and is very common).

2. With regard to negotiating salary: Based on your statement "...and federal gov (which I've been for a year)." I assume you are a current fed, therefore, regardless of which list they used, you would not be able to negotiate the salary. If you are a current fed and they select you from a MP list, you cannot negotiate salary; federal pay setting rules apply. If they select you from the DE list, you would have to have a break in service of 90 days before you could negotiate the salary; else they could set your pay a couple of different ways: 1) step 1 or 2) use highest previous rate to essentially set your step the same as it currently exists.

The job announcement says:
To qualify at the GS-11 level, applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level or equivalent under other pay systems in the Federal service, military or private sector.

For both MP and General Public Announcements. I read these forums from time to time, and I was too victim of "HR Underhanded Tactics" to a "We submitted your salary negotiation request" to a "There were never any requests." when I asked 2 weeks before starting. So yes, I'm sorry if I've been very skeptical.

I have worked for the private sector and wanted to come into the government in order to do something more fulfilling, to work for the country and its people. But this HR treating me like I have no other choice and that their offer is "The best offer". That's why I'm looking into this.

And for this one, they already sent me the TO with the wrong promotion number stating "None" when it does have a promotion potential of 13. So yes, I am skeptical about their competence as never in my time in the government have my experiences with HR have been positive in comparison to the private sector. Yes, I am angry and for that I apologize.

And like I said, I got "Best Qualified" (highest rank) in both announcements, and looking at my resume I know I am likely best qualified. I don't want to sound like I am full of myself, but I keep getting offers from the private sector all the time to go join them. I like to know my weight and know what is fair and what is not fair. That's all.

I'm just going to accept the TO and then reject the Final Offer. I can play the underhanded tactics game too.

Edited by user Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:29:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Vol  
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:36:12 AM(UTC)
Vol

Originally Posted by: Tic3 Go to Quoted Post

There's nothing "underhanded" about this.

From the tone of your post, you're never going to be happy there.

I think you probably should do the selecting official and everyone else at that agency a huge favor and turn down the job. Let someone else have it who will be a little more humble and appreciate the opportunity.

The selecting official interviews the candidate and says "We really want this guy!"
HR is the one that determines GS Level and Negotiates Pay.
So you got that wrong.

2nd. If you play your life by those rules, be my guest. But I know my resume and know my worth, and coming from the private sector I know what I can do. So yeah, sorry for not going on my knees just because I received a TO. That's not how it works in my world.

GWPDA  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:10:33 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 575 time(s) in 473 post(s)
"And like I said, I got "Best Qualified" (highest rank) in both announcements, and looking at my resume I know I am likely best qualified."

Um - you do know that that doesn't mean your application was the best qualified of every other application received, right? That there are three possible categories into which all the applications are sorted? That there were quite a few applications in the "Best Qualified" category and that generally that means those applications were graded from 90-100? And that only those in the 'Best Qualified' category were referred.

Don't take it personally.
Vol  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:38:14 AM(UTC)
Vol

Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
"And like I said, I got "Best Qualified" (highest rank) in both announcements, and looking at my resume I know I am likely best qualified."

Um - you do know that that doesn't mean your application was the best qualified of every other application received, right? That there are three possible categories into which all the applications are sorted? That there were quite a few applications in the "Best Qualified" category and that generally that means those applications were graded from 90-100? And that only those in the 'Best Qualified' category were referred.

Don't take it personally.

Oh, yeah. I obviously cannot be the only "best qualified" and, yes, there are still 2 other categories under best qualified where applications got sorted to.

They can go with the next person then, who'll likely just take the step 1. Its not like jobs are gonna run out tomorrow.
Like I mentioned before in this thread, I'm also likely biased towards HR due to all my experiences with them being negative.

Its not like jobs are going to run out tomorrow. I'm also quite lucky I must say that as a science job my area is rather specific that there are alot of jobs but rather obscure in the sense that not many people do it. So that's that.
DaVinci95  
#14 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 3:53:05 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 90 post(s)
I'm failing to see what HR did that was underhanded. It doesn't matter what cert you were selected from, there wouldn't be any salary negotiation since you are a current federal employee. The only benefit to applying to "all US citizens" announcements is if you are going for a grade that you don't meet the time-in-grade requirement for as a federal employee but your private sector experience would qualify.
thanks 1 user thanked DaVinci95 for this useful post.
HR Bubba on 10/22/2018(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 3:28:21 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Couple of points:

The job announcement says:
To qualify at the GS-11 level, applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level or equivalent under other pay systems in the Federal service, military or private sector.

For both MP and General Public Announcements. I read these forums from time to time, and I was too victim of "HR Underhanded Tactics" to a "We submitted your salary negotiation request" to a "There were never any requests." when I asked 2 weeks before starting. So yes, I'm sorry if I've been very skeptical.

I have worked for the private sector and wanted to come into the government in order to do something more fulfilling, to work for the country and its people. But this HR treating me like I have no other choice and that their offer is "The best offer". That's why I'm looking into this.

And for this one, they already sent me the TO with the wrong promotion number stating "None" when it does have a promotion potential of 13. So yes, I am skeptical about their competence as never in my time in the government have my experiences with HR have been positive in comparison to the private sector. Yes, I am angry and for that I apologize.

And like I said, I got "Best Qualified" (highest rank) in both announcements, and looking at my resume I know I am likely best qualified. I don't want to sound like I am full of myself, but I keep getting offers from the private sector all the time to go join them. I like to know my weight and know what is fair and what is not fair. That's all.

I'm just going to accept the TO and then reject the Final Offer. I can play the underhanded tactics game too.

If you are worth so much, and get so many offers from private sector, then go take a private sector job and be done with it. Don't spew this crap about "wanted to come into the government in order to do something more fulfilling, to work for the country and its people". Money still plays into it, as the very basis of your post is *****ing over a few thousand dollars. If you want the job, take it. If you don't, get the hell out of the way.
HR Bubba  
#16 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 3:58:05 AM(UTC)

Couple of comments:

1. With regard to "And like I said, I got "Best Qualified" (highest rank) in both announcements" You do realize that the score that is generated is based on an applicant's own answers to the questions, right? You also realize that everyone (for the most part) marks themselves as expert on every question regardless of their actual experience/abilities? Finally, you do realize that almost all applicants fall into the BQ group based on the inflated answers that they are providing and to get a notice saying that you are in the BQ group really means nothing in comparison to all of the other applicants or your actual experience/skills/abilities.

2. With regard to "The selecting official interviews the candidate and says "We really want this guy! HR is the one that determines GS Level and Negotiates Pay." The first part of your statement is true, however, HR is NOT who determines at which grade an applicant is selected, this is done by the selecting official. HR makes an upfront determination on which grade(s) an applicant is ELIGIBLE for and the selecting official is the one who determines the grade that they want to offer an applicant (just because someone is ELIGIBLE for a higher grade does not mean the selecting official has to select them at the higher grade). Once the selecting official submits their selection at the grade they want to offer, HR then does the pay setting (e.g., use pay setting rules for current feds, HPR for current and/or previous feds, step 1, etc.). If an applicant wants to negotiate the salary, the decision to approve/disapprove a higher salary resides with the hiring official, not with HR (at least at my agency); HR simply acts as the go between and ensures that things are documented properly.

Finally, although I won't comment with regard to the competence of the HR office that is handling your recruitment (every organization has people who aren't the best), but clearly you do not know how federal HR works and rather than bashing HR for not doing/knowing their job how about you recognize that you don't know how to do their job either!
Tic3  
#17 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 6:08:59 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tic3 Go to Quoted Post

The selecting official interviews the candidate and says "We really want this guy!"
HR is the one that determines GS Level and Negotiates Pay.
So you got that wrong.

Um..no. I did not get that wrong.

In your original post, you said
Quote:
HR decided to go ahead and use that certificate instead of the "All US Citizens" one.

You are the one who "got that wrong." The selecting official (not HR) decides which cert to hire from. The selecting official receives the certificate(s) of eligibles from HR and looks over the candidates and makes the decision to hire from ONE of those certificates. Depending on how the job is announced, there could be four or more certificates.

As an example if a job is announced as a 12/13 and it's open to Merit Promotion and All Citizens, there will be at least four certificates. If you show up on both the 12 AND 13 list, the selecting official can chose your name from the GS-12 listing and offer you the job as a GS-12.

HR does not decide which certificate to hire from. The selecting official does.

And as others have pointed out, you, personally, are not "the best qualified." You were placed on the best qualified listing along with dozens, or perhaps hundreds of others.

Edited by user Monday, October 22, 2018 6:23:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TheRealOrange  
#18 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 6:37:02 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 182 time(s) in 160 post(s)

For the "All US citizens" announcement it wouldn't matter if you were the most qualified person in the world if even one preference eligible veteran was qualified (or had a higher preference if you are also a veteran with a preference). In those circumstances, you simply could not be hired under that announcement, period. So, it's either take an offer under the Merit Promotion certificate or turn down the offer. You appear dead set on thinking there were underhanded tactics used but it seems to me that the agency did what it legitimately could to make you an offer. Why play games and accept the TO and decline the FO? Spite based on a perceived rather than real "insult"? That's seems pretty childish, but perhaps that's what you're after.
nightchop  
#19 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 9:05:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)
HR is NOT who determines at which grade an applicant is selected, this is done by the selecting official. HR makes an upfront determination on which grade(s) an applicant is ELIGIBLE for and the selecting official is the one who determines the grade that they want to offer an applicant (just because someone is ELIGIBLE for a higher grade does not mean the selecting official has to select them at the higher grade).

Thanks for stating this. I figured as much. Makes total sense why at one employer all the white employees consistently came in at a higher grade than people of color (unless there was a person of color at the higher grade. Then it was harder for them to justify bringing a similarly situated person in at a lower grade.). Wow. The discrimination at that place knew no bounds. Not shocking, but still nice to have facts to back things up.
HR Bubba  
#20 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 9:41:36 AM(UTC)

HR rules can be confusing and add to that the fact that although we all have to follow the same federal laws when hiring in the competitive service (Title 5), agencies do have some discretion in how they administer those rules. While I try to provide generalized answers that will apply across federal government the reality is that often these rules will vary from agency to agency and I believe one of the main reasons for this is Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA) with the Union. If an agency's CBA has sections pertaining to recruitment & placement then the CBA takes precedence over federal rules. For example, a CBA could mention that all internal applicants must be referred (if qualified) regardless of the score or all internal candidates who are referred must be interviewed (federal law says the hiring official has the right to interview some, none or all of the candidates on the list, but in the example I gave the hiring official would have to interview all internal candidates because the CBA requires it.). While I can quote federal rules til the sun comes up, unless I have knowledge of any agency specific guidance (policy, CBA, etc.) my answers may or may not fit a situation exactly.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
penrod on 11/5/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed