Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LieutenantBlantyre  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:35:05 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Apparently Cleveland is getting to bring 65-70 aboard in about two weeks. This should be exciting for us as we bring in new blood after we have finally reached the desired two-thirds perm one-third seasonal ratio. Whether or not all of them survive training compared to past results will also prove very interesting.

Is it just me or is AMS flaking out more than usual lately? I know we've got some more weeks to go before we hit the magical Dead Cycles but everything feels like it is ready to wink out on me and crash without warning more than usual. The phone system hasn't been faring well either.

Anybody else dreading how badly the callers may end up acting out on November 7th after we've gotten the unofficial election results? No matter who wins the races to control both chambers of the Congress, I think we'll end up the losers in the civil service. Callers have been getting crazier and crazier on TAC Appointment Hotline as it is now and I've been having to use "substitute teacher" voice again.
Hired 2015  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 4:03:28 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
When is furlough?

The private sector has always been better at retaining tax industry seasonals because after May 1st they went on flex summer schedules, trained for the next season and took Nov/Dec off.

It looks like the seasonals that did not extend this year made the right call. At least they will get sometime off.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 8:35:52 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
When is furlough?

The private sector has always been better at retaining tax industry seasonals because after May 1st they went on flex summer schedules, trained for the next season and took Nov/Dec off.

It looks like the seasonals that did not extend this year made the right call. At least they will get sometime off.

The current state of the furlough question is: Not Happening.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:42:45 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

I have one simple question for everybody who was possibly on-duty today and saw their e-mail.

Exactly how many days does September have? :-)
Mygirls3  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:01:23 PM(UTC)
Mygirls3

United States

Which e-mail are you referring to?
LieutenantBlantyre  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:05:16 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Director AM

I had received two versions.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:05:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

phillysteak  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 10:22:25 AM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
A general question here:

I took voluntary furlough, what do i need to do when i'm ready to come back in?? Do I just call my manager or DM so they can give me my badge to get in?
LieutenantBlantyre  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 11:42:35 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: phillysteak Go to Quoted Post
A general question here:

I took voluntary furlough, what do i need to do when i'm ready to come back in?? Do I just call my manager or DM so they can give me my badge to get in?

You don't call in. Unless you have training coming up you are out until January.
No Place Like Home  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:55:52 PM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post
A general question here:

You don't call in. Unless you have training coming up you are out until January.

That is not true for all sites. It was not a mandatory furlough so our call site allowed people to call their managers when they were ready to come back. I think everyone had to come back in time for CFRST training that started in different waves in Oct. Some people are getting their 4 week 231 training now and some will start theirs in Jan.
phillysteak  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 1:03:50 AM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: No Place Like Home Go to Quoted Post
A general question here:

That is not true for all sites. It was not a mandatory furlough so our call site allowed people to call their managers when they were ready to come back. I think everyone had to come back in time for CFRST training that started in different waves in Oct. Some people are getting their 4 week 231 training now and some will start theirs in Jan.

I asked my old DM and was told if I specified the return date, then I just come in on that day and work normally. If I did not specified the return date, then I have to call in about 3 weeks prior to the date I want to return and let them know.
I will come in and ask from my current DM and see how it is.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2018 5:37:10 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: No Place Like Home Go to Quoted Post
A general question here:

We're apparently very harsh at Cleveland then.

I asked my old DM and was told if I specified the return date, then I just come in on that day and work normally. If I did not specified the return date, then I have to call in about 3 weeks prior to the date I want to return and let them know.
I will come in and ask from my current DM and see how it is.

Ask yourself if you really want to come back. Right now we have fairly slow call flow until about 1 PM where we're reducing all sorts of sites to Minimal. We even end up taking some of the other remotes off 55 due to the slow flow. TPP has been heating up again but their work is never done. The calls that are coming through are the really, really weird stuff. The dashboards from JOC show paper inventory is at a decently low level unless you are at BSC or OSC where they're dealing with the constantly changing madness of Section 965 repatriation tax.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 6:28:34 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Anybody have an inkling of why TPP is going AHOD so much lately? It hasn't even been two weeks from October 15th yet so the latest filed extension returns have barely been processed yet.
chriswt25  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:07:11 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Anybody have an inkling of why TPP is going AHOD so much lately? It hasn't even been two weeks from October 15th yet so the latest filed extension returns have barely been processed yet.

The calls on that line are a nightmare at this time of year. Lots of MFT 32 stuff and calls that are hard to get the people through high risk. The IRMS for TPP are the most inane ones written. Worst hop scotching around to finally get a non-definitive answer. The calls are difficult to decipher and resolve. Call length runs long.

There is also the problem of people that originally were issued a 4883c or other TPP letter calling the TPP line for other issues, since they have less of a tree to go through before getting a live voice. Once these people get a "good" phone number they use it.

Among the support centers ONLY Andover seems to be the one site that remains on that line no matter what. Just about every day all the other sites get put to minimal at the opening.

My heart does not bleed that the other centers have to pick it up a bit, since they generally seem to be exempt from this skill.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:12:15 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post

The calls on that line are a nightmare at this time of year. Lots of MFT 32 stuff and calls that are hard to get the people through high risk. The IRMS for TPP are the most inane ones written. Worst hop scotching around to finally get a non-definitive answer. The calls are difficult to decipher and resolve. Call length runs long.

There is also the problem of people that originally were issued a 4883c or other TPP letter calling the TPP line for other issues, since they have less of a tree to go through before getting a live voice. Once these people get a "good" phone number they use it.

Among the support centers ONLY Andover seems to be the one site that remains on that line no matter what. Just about every day all the other sites get put to minimal at the opening.

My heart does not bleed that the other centers have to pick it up a bit, since they generally seem to be exempt from this skill.

TPP started at Andover, after all. It is their baby.

55 has been turning into the "Default Screener"-like dumping ground. People at the other sites working 55 apparently have been working every single call instead of transferring away the people who flat out tell you they're not calling for an appointment. Some of the folks at Cleveland have only been sounding less mutinous only because the Field Director is visiting.

I was about to mention a spoiler for Processing Year 2019 but one of this morning's SERP Alerts was actually rather exciting relative to TPP. The theme song for next year will be Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train", I think. We're all going to be chilling out to Hard Rock and may Metal next season based upon the way these IPUs and other changes are shaping up.
chriswt25  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:44:25 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

TPP started at Andover, after all. It is their baby.

55 has been turning into the "Default Screener"-like dumping ground. People at the other sites working 55 apparently have been working every single call instead of transferring away the people who flat out tell you they're not calling for an appointment. Some of the folks at Cleveland have only been sounding less mutinous only because the Field Director is visiting.

I was about to mention a spoiler for Processing Year 2019 but one of this morning's SERP Alerts was actually rather exciting relative to TPP. The theme song for next year will be Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train", I think. We're all going to be chilling out to Hard Rock and may Metal next season based upon the way these IPUs and other changes are shaping up.

Just because TPP started at Andover doesn't mean other sites with trained people in the skill should automatically be put to minimal even before they open. They should share the wealth (nightmare) The amount of time and money spent on this operation is ludicrous, based on the hypersensitivity of what generates these letters. It's like calling a flood warning in the Mohave Desert.

scottyd27  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 7:30:13 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Apparently Cleveland is getting to bring 65-70 aboard in about two weeks. This should be exciting for us as we bring in new blood after we have finally reached the desired two-thirds perm one-third seasonal ratio. Whether or not all of them survive training compared to past results will also prove very interesting.

Is it just me or is AMS flaking out more than usual lately? I know we've got some more weeks to go before we hit the magical Dead Cycles but everything feels like it is ready to wink out on me and crash without warning more than usual. The phone system hasn't been faring well either.

Anybody else dreading how badly the callers may end up acting out on November 7th after we've gotten the unofficial election results? No matter who wins the races to control both chambers of the Congress, I think we'll end up the losers in the civil service. Callers have been getting crazier and crazier on TAC Appointment Hotline as it is now and I've been having to use "substitute teacher" voice again.

scottyd27  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 7:31:17 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 129 post(s)
You should try dealing with the crazies doing field work.

People are nuts
Cedars0327  
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 4:08:42 AM(UTC)
Cedars0327

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
TPP is a nightmare. I 100% agree the IRM is a joke. They’re always updating it and I am pretty sure they have 2 or 3 TPP authors that either refuse to speak to each other or have no idea what they’re doing.

TPP gate as a whole just always seems to have issues. The 4883C needs to be rewritten, starting with, “WHAT YOU MUST HAVE WHEN YOU CALL”. I’ve gone hours having to tell taxpayers to call back because they don’t have the required documents to compete the process.

Then around July and August all the calls are “I’ve already verified but I haven’t received my refund” and you have to tell the taxpayer “sorry the last CSR or TAC employee didn’t do their job and it’s going to be another 9 weeks”. The amount of TAS referrals requested on that line is ridiculous. And unfortunately 9 times out of 10 TAS can’t do anything. The TVT tool makes the typical TPP call so easy. Literally you just have to click like 4 buttons and your done but for whatever reason there are a huge amount of TPP CSR’s that have no idea what they’re doing. I’ve handled so many dozens of calls where this is the taxpayers 3rd or 4th time having to call TPP back because TPP CSR’s aren’t adjusting the account or think notes on AMS is sufficient.

Since September I’ve been skilled up to PPS 186 which is almost always AHOD year round, so I haven’t been on TPP since September. I really hope that program improves this year for the ones now working it.
chriswt25  
#19 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 6:27:30 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: Cedars0327 Go to Quoted Post
TPP is a nightmare. I 100% agree the IRM is a joke. They’re always updating it and I am pretty sure they have 2 or 3 TPP authors that either refuse to speak to each other or have no idea what they’re doing.

TPP gate as a whole just always seems to have issues. The 4883C needs to be rewritten, starting with, “WHAT YOU MUST HAVE WHEN YOU CALL”. I’ve gone hours having to tell taxpayers to call back because they don’t have the required documents to compete the process.

Then around July and August all the calls are “I’ve already verified but I haven’t received my refund” and you have to tell the taxpayer “sorry the last CSR or TAC employee didn’t do their job and it’s going to be another 9 weeks”. The amount of TAS referrals requested on that line is ridiculous. And unfortunately 9 times out of 10 TAS can’t do anything. The TVT tool makes the typical TPP call so easy. Literally you just have to click like 4 buttons and your done but for whatever reason there are a huge amount of TPP CSR’s that have no idea what they’re doing. I’ve handled so many dozens of calls where this is the taxpayers 3rd or 4th time having to call TPP back because TPP CSR’s aren’t adjusting the account or think notes on AMS is sufficient.

Since September I’ve been skilled up to PPS 186 which is almost always AHOD year round, so I haven’t been on TPP since September. I really hope that program improves this year for the ones now working it.

Another farce with this line, is that the TVT tool does not work until approximately 9 AM eastern time, because it operates out of Fresno. You either have to open a 4442 to yourself and go back later or write the info down on the early calls and go back later.

You do high risk disclosure on a TPP call and the tool passes through the TP even when they get multiple questions wrong. A complete joke. Flies in the face of what it is supposed to be accomplishing.

Edited by user Thursday, November 1, 2018 8:26:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#20 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2018 7:54:17 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Cedars0327 Go to Quoted Post

Another farce with this line, is that the TVT tool does not work until approximately 9 AM eastern time, because it operates out of Fresno. You either have to open a 4442 to yourself and go back later or write the info down on the early calls and go back later.

You do high risk disclosure on a TPP call and the tool passes through the TP even when they get multiple questions wrong. A complete joke. Flies in the face of what it is supposed to be accomplishing.

Well, 55 is the dumping ground where people who can't pass any type of disclosure wind up. Usually they're asking for transcripts of some sort. Frequently we just wind up scheduling them to go to the TAC. It gets both frustrating and boring as so many of these folks think they're the second coming of The Punisher or what have you as they take all their frustrations out on you on 55 after 3-5 busted encounters with CSRs already.

One nice lady did ask me to overlook her failing HRA (after screwing up regular) to just damn well fax her a Verification of Non-Filing to prevent her precious daughter being kicked out of college the same day. In light of that sheer audacity, all I could do was say that I wasn't going to commit a felony for her and quickly ended the call. Sadly she couldn't wait for an appointment.

Maybe we're just the dumping ground at Cleveland where people well & truly fail HRA?

Somebody should put a proposed revision to LTR4883C in the Employee Suggestion Program and possibly get paid for it. Then again, I saw one suggestion submitted in January of this year that's approaching its first birthday as nobody can decide to either approve or reject it. Somebody at Cleveland wrote it up, as you can imagine...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed