Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

11 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
slowpoke  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2018 11:20:13 PM(UTC)
slowpoke

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Keep us updated with your progress. Where are you applying? I am in NOVA.
scottyd27  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:15:10 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I applied internally for palm beach, Port Saint Lucie and Melbourne FL
eldod  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 10:35:30 AM(UTC)
eldod

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I applied in Maitland, FL ...
Lillies  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 7:11:24 AM(UTC)
Lillies

I applied for Houston, TX.
ironman0786  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 12:53:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I applied for New York.

Anyone can offer insight on a typical day as a Revenue Agent? How often are you on the field after your training and OJI (on the job instruction) period? Do they assign field audit locations based on where you live so your commute is short, or are the field audit locations nearby the field office you are working out of after the first year (for Urban field locations)? And how quickly do they allow Telework when hired under mass hiring in early level position. (I know Union contract says after 2 years or when you reach journey grade, but it also says case by case the manager may waive those requirements) How likely is that?

Edited by user Friday, November 02, 2018 12:57:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Agent13  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 7:02:19 AM(UTC)
Agent13

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm an RA in Manhattan. It's definitely not an easy job. How often you are in the field is up to you- you make your own schedule.. but you are expected to be in the field more vs in the office. Typical case load around 30. training period is a total of approx 2 years, broken into 3 phases, with the first being the longest. Cases are not assigned by where you live- they are assigned by your post of duty but it doesn't mean you won't wind up traveling around the tri state area- every case is different and you won't know where a taxpayers representative is located until you start working the case. Telework usually is allowed when you're not in training anymore or at grade 11- I forget if the grade 11 is a requirement or not, I'd have to check. I would not expect to telework much during your first 2 years.
thanks 2 users thanked Agent13 for this useful post.
ironman0786 on 11/4/2018(UTC), gsetaurate on 11/5/2018(UTC)
ironman0786  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 4:18:29 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Agent13 Go to Quoted Post
I'm an RA in Manhattan. It's definitely not an easy job. How often you are in the field is up to you- you make your own schedule.. but you are expected to be in the field more vs in the office. Typical case load around 30. training period is a total of approx 2 years, broken into 3 phases, with the first being the longest. Cases are not assigned by where you live- they are assigned by your post of duty but it doesn't mean you won't wind up traveling around the tri state area- every case is different and you won't know where a taxpayers representative is located until you start working the case. Telework usually is allowed when you're not in training anymore or at grade 11- I forget if the grade 11 is a requirement or not, I'd have to check. I would not expect to telework much during your first 2 years.

How long does it typically take to work one case? I assume you have to go back and forth a few times with a taxpayer or POA. So how long does it take during each review? "Getting it to the next status" as they may say.

So after a POD in Manhattan, most average field visit will be in Manhattan as well? I live over one hour away (long island) from Manhattan, that is the location I applied for, do you think that is doable? I was hoping for 1 or 2 field days a week (with not a long commute) and telework the rest of the week.

Is it possible to transfer to a long island field office at some point? Or should I say how likely is that to be approved?

Are orientation and classroom training a destination location or within your POD/online? How long is each of the phases?

Thank you.
slowpoke  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 6:52:34 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Ironman during the last surge I saw that training was at a central location. I think Ogden, Dallas and Philly for 5 weeks.
gsetaurate  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 10:14:43 AM(UTC)
gsetaurate

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: slowpoke Go to Quoted Post
Ironman during the last surge I saw that training was at a central location. I think Ogden, Dallas and Philly for 5 weeks.

So when was the last RA hiring surge? Assuming I'm qualified, would having more locations selected for POD help land an RA job or would it hurt the applicant? Then suppose I get the role in another state but want to move around after I've gained experience, how feasible is this idea? I will just say that I'm young and not tied down with a family so none of that is of concern to me at the moment.

Side question, I know a guy who started out as an RA and was able to move up the chain of command. How do internal promotions work? I'm assuming you need to be favored by other higher ups.

YoungGunner  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 1:33:56 PM(UTC)
YoungGunner

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

This is more or less accurate. Case assignment has some flexibility but will depend on your relationship with your manager. Some managers will allow you to select your own work from the inventory. Others will not.

Telework is usually approved after the first year for most offices but again, this is manager discretion. Make nice with manager, and you will telework sooner.
YoungGunner  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 1:43:42 PM(UTC)
YoungGunner

United States

Originally Posted by: ironman0786 Go to Quoted Post

How long does it typically take to work one case? I assume you have to go back and forth a few times with a taxpayer or POA. So how long does it take during each review? "Getting it to the next status" as they may say.

- cases vary widely. Over a year is “long” but depends on the type of work. Fraud cases take years to develop. Some cases we can close in one meeting, basically two weeks from opening date.

So after a POD in Manhattan, most average field visit will be in Manhattan as well? I live over one hour away (long island) from Manhattan, that is the location I applied for, do you think that is doable? I was hoping for 1 or 2 field days a week (with not a long commute) and telework the rest of the week.

- I would think most Manhattan PoD work will be in Manhattan but that goes by zip code on the return. As the other poster stated, work location may change if the preparer/representative is outside the city. But doesn’t really matter, as you commute to field work during your shift, so if it’s a 90 min commute, that’s all on the clock. Those long trips mean bigger travel reimbursement as well, so it’s generally a good thing. As I mentioned elsewhere, IIf you work with your manager, usually they will let you select a lot of your own work and can choose cases likely to be based nearer your home if you wish.

Is it possible to transfer to a long island field office at some point? Or should I say how likely is that to be approved?

- transfers are possible, not probable. Usually it requires a posted job opening which you apply to. Transfers from office to office are very rare unless there is a significant family hardship. An hour commute likely would have an uphill battle in terms of proving hardship. Not impossible though.

Are orientation and classroom training a destination location or within your POD/online? How long is each of the phases?

- orientation is usually close to your POD. Classroom training is regional and take place at one of like 10 locations nationwide. You don’t get to choose where you go, it’s assigned by HQ. The training sessions used to be 1040- 4wks, 1120- 4wks, Passthrough- 3-4weeks, give or take. That may have changed as I just saw they added office audit techniques to RA classroom training.

Thank you.

ANSWERS GIVEN IIN TEXT ABOVE.

thanks 1 user thanked YoungGunner for this useful post.
ironman0786 on 11/6/2018(UTC)
YoungGunner  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 1:49:04 PM(UTC)
YoungGunner

United States

Originally Posted by: gsetaurate Go to Quoted Post

So when was the last RA hiring surge? Assuming I'm qualified, would having more locations selected for POD help land an RA job or would it hurt the applicant? Then suppose I get the role in another state but want to move around after I've gained experience, how feasible is this idea? I will just say that I'm young and not tied down with a family so none of that is of concern to me at the moment.

Side question, I know a guy who started out as an RA and was able to move up the chain of command. How do internal promotions work? I'm assuming you need to be favored by other higher ups.

Applying to more locations will increase your odds of getting an interview and will not hurt in any way. The locations generally don’t know other locations you selected.

Transferring offices usually requires a job posting, which is very infrequent. Transfers upon request are not approved outside of hardship requests, which are rare as well.

Best bet for promoting is working in a major metro area or a place that houses a processing center, like Ogden, Boston, Phoenix, Brookhaven etc. those have the most promotional opportunities. It’s not really a situation of “higher ups” liking you. If your manager thinks you’re a good worker, you will get promoted when the jobs get posted. Unless you’re a complete waste of space, you will get promoted.
scottyd27  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 2:04:23 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

I saw in the NTEU email that Journey level for RAs is now GS12
slowpoke  
#14 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 2:23:10 PM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post

Does that mean not competing for a GS12? I would be giving up a max GS12 at my current agency. Could you forward me the email?

Edited by user Monday, November 05, 2018 2:28:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gsetaurate  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 3:05:37 PM(UTC)
gsetaurate

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

As opposed to max GS13? I thought it used to cap out at GS13.
scottyd27  
#16 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 3:08:11 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Yes no -competitive promotion to GS-12. No I can’t forward the email. It was months ago I’m sure I’ve deleted it.
thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
slowpoke on 11/5/2018(UTC)
ironman0786  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 1:21:51 AM(UTC)

Does that mean not competing for a GS12? I would be giving up a max GS12 at my current agency. Could you forward me the email?

This information is on the job posting, it states promotion potential gs-12, this means non-competitive to 12.

It used to be 11.

Even the 12 just happened right now, I think October or so, to whoever qualifies as of October.
cooljul  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 9:41:53 AM(UTC)
cooljul

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I applied at Port St. Lucie, Melbourne, West Palm Beach and Maitland, FL.

From what I have been reading this will be a long and crazy ride! Let's keep each other updated!

I am an external applicant
capucha  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 11:07:24 AM(UTC)
capucha

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I just noticed that there is a different number of vacancies for Revenue Agents on the internal and external announcements. The internal announcement shows 419, while the external shows 469. Does anyone know if this means that the external vacancies are completely separate from the internal ones? Or are they the same vacancies just advertised in two separate announcements? For example, hypothetically, if there are 3 vacancies for Las Vegas on the internal announcement and 3 vacancies for Las Vegas on the external announcement, are there 6 vacancies total or are there 3 total?
cooljul  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 12:09:49 PM(UTC)
cooljul

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: capucha Go to Quoted Post
I just noticed that there is a different number of vacancies for Revenue Agents on the internal and external announcements. The internal announcement shows 419, while the external shows 469. Does anyone know if this means that the external vacancies are completely separate from the internal ones? Or are they the same vacancies just advertised in two separate announcements? For example, hypothetically, if there are 3 vacancies for Las Vegas on the internal announcement and 3 vacancies for Las Vegas on the external announcement, are there 6 vacancies total or are there 3 total?

very interesting - I would interpret it is as 50 mandatory externals? I don't know why though...

Does your internal announcement show how many hires per location?
thanks 1 user thanked cooljul for this useful post.
VaVirgo79 on 11/28/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed