Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

66 Pages«<646566
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jimmy81  
#1301 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:20:32 AM(UTC)
Jimmy81

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Coop917 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: slowpoke Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Coop917 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: N.E.R.D. Go to Quoted Post
Just received Cat A notification for employee plans and exempt.

Same here.

What does this mean?

We were rated as highly qualified.

OK thank you, I am aware of the Cat A ratings from the simulation but wasn't sure what the "employee plans and exempt" referenced and thought this may be related to interview feedback

Those were 2 other job announcements. There are 3 types of revenue agents. This listing is for general program which is mostly everything. Exempt and employee plans RAs are specialized.

thanks 1 user thanked Jimmy81 for this useful post.
Coop917 on 4/24/2019(UTC)
N.E.R.D.  
#1302 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:25:40 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I know this is off topic but yesterday I saw a commercial for a company named Optimum Tax Relief and the guy said, "The IRS just hired a bunch of new agents. Let us help you." LOL I found it to be hilarious that they are really keeping tabs on the IRS.
slowpoke  
#1303 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:29:50 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I know this is off topic but yesterday I saw a commercial for a company named Optimum Tax Relief and the guy said, "The IRS just hired a bunch of new agents. Let us help you." LOL I found it to be hilarious that they are really keeping tabs on the IRS.

That commercial even comes out in years when IRS doesn't hire. The object is to scare people into getting their services even though 9 out of 10 times they don't need the help.
N.E.R.D.  
#1304 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:33:28 AM(UTC)
N.E.R.D.

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)

That commercial even comes out in years when IRS doesn't hire. The object is to scare people into getting their services even though 9 out of 10 times they don't need the help.

Ok I didn't know that as I rarely watch TV. It was just funny to me considering they really are hiring and I have applied.
RN94509  
#1305 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:07:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Yeah, once you deal with them you'll laugh everytime you hear the commercial.
RN94509  
#1306 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:33:59 PM(UTC)

Honestly it seems to me most people end up finishing it on their own anyways.
rockhuff  
#1307 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:08:31 PM(UTC)
rockhuff

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RN94509 Go to Quoted Post

YUP! One of my stops in the last 4 years was at Tax Resolution firm. People pay A TON OF MONEY to do what they can do for free if they dealt with the IRS themselves. I did taxes in that company. As most of you know, IRS won't help you if you are not current on your tax filings. So, my job was to help get everyone compliant so their Offer in Compromise or payment plan could go through...people would pay THOUSANDS of dollars for the service....better off sending that money to the IRS to pay off debt than give to a stupid resolution firm.
RN94509  
#1308 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:13:00 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: rockhuff Go to Quoted Post

YUP! One of my stops in the last 4 years was at Tax Resolution firm. People pay A TON OF MONEY to do what they can do for free if they dealt with the IRS themselves. I did taxes in that company. As most of you know, IRS won't help you if you are not current on your tax filings. So, my job was to help get everyone compliant so their Offer in Compromise or payment plan could go through...people would pay THOUSANDS of dollars for the service....better off sending that money to the IRS to pay off debt than give to a stupid resolution firm.

Please tell me they pay better than the IRS. But I deal with the some people all time. And I don't think they could do their jobs if they couldn't ask the IRS reps how to do it first.
ironman0786  
#1309 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 10:20:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)

This is a great after retirement gig from an RA job. You'd have a very good chance of getting hired.
ironman0786  
#1310 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:04:59 PM(UTC)

Does the IRS issue credit cards for per diem and incidentals or do have to pay out of pocket your first travel.

We got our travel cards at on-boarding (first week). When you are done traveling you will submit travel voucher to get reimbursed for all expenses. You then pay off the credit card with that money, and any left over is yours...like if per diem is $45 a day, and you only spent $20, you get to keep the $25....

can you use your own credit card rather than the travel card and just get a reimbursement? There are a lot of credit cards that offer points/miles for $3000-$5000 spend in the first three months, enough to sometimes book a first class/business class ticket to Europe. I would rather just use my own card to get points/miles or to achieve a signup bonus.
ironman0786  
#1311 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:16:14 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Jimmy81 Go to Quoted Post
Regarding remote training, you can also fly home on weekends. If the flight is cheaper than 2 nights at the hotel you won't have to pay out of pocket. You would do a cost comparison.

Wouldn't you include the per diem of meals and incidental to this calculation or do you continue to get this per diem? You would have to also include the to and from taxi rides from each location to the comparison too maybe. A taxi to the airport for me is like $80-100 each way.
slowpoke  
#1312 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 2:02:19 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Could those who have already accepted offers list your user name and location (POD) and if you were selected internal/external, SBSE, exempt, employee plans, recent graduate or LB&I. Let's do this so it doesn't get repeated and we can have a running list. So if someone starts it the next person adds to it etc.

Like this:

User name, POD, internal/external, SBSE, tentative offer (TO), final offer (FO).

Thanks

Edited by user Thursday, April 25, 2019 3:46:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked slowpoke for this useful post.
N.E.R.D. on 4/25/2019(UTC)
TN RA  
#1313 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 4:14:53 AM(UTC)
TN RA

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Were any externals interviewed for Memphis, TN?
thanks 1 user thanked TN RA for this useful post.
TN_RA_Hopeful on 4/25/2019(UTC)
JayMan06  
#1314 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 4:25:09 AM(UTC)
JayMan06

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a couple items to share with any potential new-hires. I was an RA for 7 years but am currently on a detail somewhere else in the IRS.

1) I saw some comments about the type of hotels you will be staying at during training. The type of hotel (Residence Inn or otherwise) depends on where the training is held. I have been to training in three major cities and went to three different hotels. All of the hotels are nice overall, however some have full kitchens with a stove top, dishwasher, etc....others might only have a microwave (Westin in Atlanta).

2) At the time I was hired, we were required to use your gov credit card for all purchases over $15 and keep receipts for anything $75 and over.

3) Your 1040 phase training is about 2 months long, however there should be a 1 week break in the middle (unless they changed the setup) where you return to your POD and learn some basic admin tasks, meet people etc. I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you sign up for any free membership rewards offered by your hotel. The gov is paying for your stay, however all the points for staying can be earned and kept. I remember earning so many points for the 2 months of training, plus bonus points for not having room service clean my room every day, I end up cashing in my points for $700 amazon gift cards.
thanks 5 users thanked JayMan06 for this useful post.
honeybee11 on 4/25/2019(UTC), Not_a_CPA on 4/25/2019(UTC), Coop917 on 4/25/2019(UTC), slowpoke on 4/25/2019(UTC), RN94509 on 4/25/2019(UTC)
YoungGunner  
#1315 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 9:53:13 AM(UTC)
YoungGunner

United States

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JayMan06 Go to Quoted Post
I have a couple items to share with any potential new-hires. I was an RA for 7 years but am currently on a detail somewhere else in the IRS.

1) I saw some comments about the type of hotels you will be staying at during training. The type of hotel (Residence Inn or otherwise) depends on where the training is held. I have been to training in three major cities and went to three different hotels. All of the hotels are nice overall, however some have full kitchens with a stove top, dishwasher, etc....others might only have a microwave (Westin in Atlanta).

2) At the time I was hired, we were required to use your gov credit card for all purchases over $15 and keep receipts for anything $75 and over.

3) Your 1040 phase training is about 2 months long, however there should be a 1 week break in the middle (unless they changed the setup) where you return to your POD and learn some basic admin tasks, meet people etc. I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you sign up for any free membership rewards offered by your hotel. The gov is paying for your stay, however all the points for staying can be earned and kept. I remember earning so many points for the 2 months of training, plus bonus points for not having room service clean my room every day, I end up cashing in my points for $700 amazon gift cards.

The new training schedule is a little different than when you (and I) went through it. The 1040 training is a little shorter this time, closer to 7 weeks. It will be in two parts for the classroom portion, 3 and 4 weeks each I believe.

The GOVCC is not "required" per dollar amount necessarily. There are certain things that are required to be put on the card, which includes the Hotel and Airfare. You will not have an option to pay personally for those items, it is in the regulations. You can review the IRM rules by googling "IRS city-to-city travel guide". If you are required to get a rental car, that also goes on the card (GOV pays the damage insurance, which is nice.)

Food and incidentals can go on your personal card. I know for newer agents, you may not have the money for that for an entire month. In that case, you are allowed to withdraw cash against your GOVCC. This is the preferred way to do it for a variety of reasons, ask your OJI about it when you get on board. They will explain why.

Second the poster's point about signing up for membership rewards. Easy money.
RN94509  
#1316 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 10:04:55 AM(UTC)

Okay so someone asked to post where we got hired.

I'm going to urge you not to do that publicly.

For those of you new to the IRS. You're going to learn quickly to give a non answer answer on where you work. A good one for the RA is accountant for the government.

But answering what POD will me it easy for people to know who is who. I imagine most used a different user name then their actual name for privacy. These pods are only hiring 2 to 6 people at most. So share what POD you got hired at your own risk.

Edited by user Thursday, April 25, 2019 10:05:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

YoungGunner  
#1317 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 10:09:03 AM(UTC)
YoungGunner

United States

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ironman0786 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jimmy81 Go to Quoted Post
Regarding remote training, you can also fly home on weekends. If the flight is cheaper than 2 nights at the hotel you won't have to pay out of pocket. You would do a cost comparison.

Wouldn't you include the per diem of meals and incidental to this calculation or do you continue to get this per diem? You would have to also include the to and from taxi rides from each location to the comparison too maybe. A taxi to the airport for me is like $80-100 each way.

There is a cost comparison sheet that you have to do in order to be reimbursed for travel home. It boils down to: what the IRS would pay if you stayed at training is what they are willing to give you. So, whatever the Lodging costs are, vs. what your travel costs are, the lesser is reimbursed. So if the flight was less than the hotel for the weekend, you will only get cost of the airfare. If airfare is more than lodging, you will get lodging. I'm not positive how the Per Diem for food works on this situation, but I would assume it is included in the amount that would be saved by the IRS, and therefore would be reimburseable.

The cost comparison sheet is available at http://cfo.fin.irs.gov/I...Comparison-Worksheet.pdf
RN94509  
#1318 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 10:14:01 AM(UTC)

While traveling on official duty are we allowed to skip the TSA screener line?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed