Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

162 Pages«<160161162
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cooljul  
#3221 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2019 3:01:28 AM(UTC)
cooljul

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 65 post(s)
It’s a Dell 14 or 15 inch not sure and they give you either a shoulder bag or roller bag for it.
thanks 1 user thanked cooljul for this useful post.
Stevendiaz23 on 8/18/2019(UTC)
tofu soup  
#3222 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 7:12:03 AM(UTC)
tofu soup

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cooljul Go to Quoted Post
It’s great! It’s been a slow start to be honest with all the orientation stuff and online learning they are having us do. Then 4 weeks of tax law training (RA classroom 1) and now we are finally back from that and are getting into the meat of it. Actually planning for our own cases, sending appointment letters, using the systems. Pressure is on to get all our cases done before classroom 2 but it’s exciting. You will hear “this is the best job ever” soooo many times. And it really is great. I’m happy to never do another journal entry again. Nervous to meet with taxpayers soon but we are really supported here. You’re going to love it. Enjoy orientation and classroom and make friends! We had some great times and I can’t wait to see them again next week at CPE training (while you’re in orientation). Your POD is going to be happy to see you, they haven’t hired in yearsssss and your POD may not have even hired in the last wave (2016). Enjoy it!!

Thats great and reassuring to hear! Thank you so much for this insight.

For the Classroom 1 training did they send you somewhere for that? I want to plan ahead and my parents would be visiting me one of those weekends from across the country so that would conflict! Or do they have classroom trainings at your POD?
SuperMario  
#3223 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2019 5:19:39 AM(UTC)
SuperMario

what is the learning curve for the RA position?

Edited by user Saturday, December 21, 2019 8:32:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rev Agent  
#3224 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2019 6:50:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
The RA job has a steep learning curve and there is a LOT to learn. I think it takes most people about five years to really know what you're doing and feel comfortable in the job. Having a good OJI and manager really makes a difference

I understand that they gave the new hires 35 cases to start this time which seems excessive to me and would probably overwhelm a lot of people. It should get better though as you get more experience and get more comfortable in the job.

Only you can tell if you are in over your head. I can tell you that it's overwhelming at first to a lot of people but it gets better for most as they get experience in the job.

cooljul  
#3225 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2019 7:13:05 AM(UTC)
cooljul

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 65 post(s)
I’m super overwhelmed too Super Mario but I’m sticking it out and you should too! We will be fine!
JayMan06  
#3226 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2019 10:41:40 AM(UTC)
JayMan06

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I was a revenue agent for 7 years before I moved on to different work at the IRS. You learn a lot even after years on the job, but I felt that my first 12 months were like swimming in a ocean - as I was struggling to keep my head above water, a new "wave" would crash in and pull me down. You're blessed if you have a good OJI and/or manager, and I had both. Having prior experience provides some advantage but does not guarantee you'll be a good revenue agent. Coming in straight from college was a type of advantage I had over experienced people. I was young and hungry, willing to put in more effort than most. In my opinion, you will need to master three main things over your first few years to pave the way towards a bright future with the IRS:

1) Learn the law and tax accounting - self explanatory.
2) Learn how to be an investigator - we have a lot of tools but you need to know how to use them, and what questions you should ask.
3) Learn the administrative rules and how to research - many RAs rely on what they were taught, but info gets old and rules change, so learn how to research the IRM, procedures, tax laws, etc.

As a new RA you should receive a lot of guides, tips and "cheat sheets", and at first you may feel like you cannot make use of them because you're too busy trying to work cases, but you need to make sure you learn how to use those tips and tricks to make your work easier.

For any Revenue Agent interested: When I was still in exam, a friend of mine and I co-authored a pretty helpful excel-based tool which simplifies common procedures we have to follow when working different types of cases. It covers procedures for how to start and close regular cases and other casework such as preparer penalties, claims, audit reconsiderations and more. If you are interested, PM me your name and I will email you some of what I have via work email. I can also share my interview questions and IDR templates.

Just keep pushing forward, don't be afraid of "looking stupid" in front of taxpayers/POAs, and keep paddling.

Edited by user Thursday, December 26, 2019 9:10:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo's

thanks 1 user thanked JayMan06 for this useful post.
trishka on 12/26/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed