Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DVLDWG  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:15:27 AM(UTC)
DVLDWG

Groups: Registered

I left APF to accept an overseas NAF position - to continue servicing the military (I'm retired Service member)and to experience life out of uniform overseas.
That was almost 3 years ago and my required tour is up in January 2019. I've applied and accepted an APF position back in the US and received a Firm Offer letter.

I'm in a sticky wicket at the moment as the gaining agency wanted me to report soon, but my actual tour doesn't end for another 2 months from this posting. Speaking with my NAF HR, they finally agreed to release me 30 days prior to my agreement ending. We signed an agreement to end the employment on 28 December 2018 (NAF termed it "Resignation" when I've always known it as "Termination of Assignment").

THEN.... the gaining agency decided 2 days ago to state they're not onboarding anyone during the "holidays". Thus, pushing my need to start on the 30th of December (picked up by gaining agency) out to 20 January; when I approached my NAF HR about the new issue I'm faced with, they said that the relationship we agreed to ends on 28 December with them. So, I'm basically pushed into a Limbo Land situation without employment, longer than 3 day break in service, no medical, dental, insurance, etc.. Which, if I'm not mistaken will also impact me in many other ways.

Summarizing, the losing agency has dug heels to not budging on the 28th of December, and I have a gaining agency imposing a closure for the holidays and not onboarding immediately after my release. I didn't know a Federal Agency can "close" other than the scheduled and approved holidays or a Presidential Furlough (Gov't Shutdown). But this places me in a very precarious situation I'm uncomfortable with.

What courses of action do I have?
0018 Hopeful  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 10:04:40 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 42 post(s)
That sucks.

I had a transfer between agencies fall into a me out of work situation in 2014.

I worked for DOT in Kentucky, and accepted a job with GSA in Alaska. When I reported to Alaska, I got the (we have been trying to call you for weeks speech (it is a long drive, and they know that), but they pushed my hire date back from August to November and I didn't have a job, until then.

So we self funded a move to Alaska, and then no job for 60 days while they were goofing around.

In the mean time the Navy called me for an interview and on boarded me and I drove to California to start with them. I was a GS-7 with DOT, the GSA job was a 9-11 in a smaller series than I am currently in now. So that worked out well, as I am a GS-12 now.

Al329  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 7:47:59 AM(UTC)
Al329

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I don't understand your dates? You have to start at the beginning of a pay period. 28 Dec is the middle of the pay period? Start date should be 23 Dec or 6 Jan?

Sucks...but as I have learned... firm offers and anything agreed to with HR .. mean nothing. CPAC can say you get LQA .. you show up and then someone else says you don't.... CPACs offer can contain an incorrect salary... in the end you are told, oh well, that tech made a mistake and its not a legal contract... so suck it up.

All I can think is try the command at both ends? Whoever the NAF command is on that side ask to change your end date... and gaining command ask to force the onboarding as agreed to. Fact is like you say.. HR will be working over the holidays .. just probably minimal manning. So they don't want to do any actual work.

I would find out who the chief of the gaining CPAC is... contact them and explain the situation. It might be that they are unaware the tech is pushing off work over the holidays. Plus for the gaining unit...that commander...contact them and let them know CPAC tech is delaying their new hire by a month for no good reason. They might be able to put pressure on CPAC.

PERSEC  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 2:32:13 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Al329 Go to Quoted Post

I don't understand your dates? You have to start at the beginning of a pay period. 28 Dec is the middle of the pay period? Start date should be 23 Dec or 6 Jan?

Sucks...but as I have learned... firm offers and anything agreed to with HR .. mean nothing. CPAC can say you get LQA .. you show up and then someone else says you don't.... CPACs offer can contain an incorrect salary... in the end you are told, oh well, that tech made a mistake and its not a legal contract... so suck it up.

All I can think is try the command at both ends? Whoever the NAF command is on that side ask to change your end date... and gaining command ask to force the onboarding as agreed to. Fact is like you say.. HR will be working over the holidays .. just probably minimal manning. So they don't want to do any actual work.

I would find out who the chief of the gaining CPAC is... contact them and explain the situation. It might be that they are unaware the tech is pushing off work over the holidays. Plus for the gaining unit...that commander...contact them and let them know CPAC tech is delaying their new hire by a month for no good reason. They might be able to put pressure on CPAC.

Recommend following this advice. The holidays are PERFECT for on-boarding. There is no better time. A few folks might be out but all in all you can get a lot of the mandatory stuff done and be ready to go.
Marc M.  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2018 10:17:05 AM(UTC)
Marc M.

United States

Contact your current (NAF) supv and inform them of the situation. Ask to stay on longer and change your resignation date. If he agrees, he will fill out a new SF-52 and change the effective date of resignation and send to the NAF HR office. Should be that simple and I believe this works for a "tour." Only issue the Supv may have is if he onboards your replacement while you're still on the rolls...a "business" is now paying two salaries. This is assuming they are filling your billet. Most likely this won't be the case given the speed of onboarding in the govt anyways.

Very important to be mindful of the less than 3 day break in service for portability of benefits between NAF and APF. Also, most people who port over think that their last day in NAF has to be the last day of the NAF pay period (typically Thursdays). You can set your last day to a Saturday and get picked up on the APF side on the next day.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed