Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DaVinci95  
#21 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 8:48:12 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 7Letters Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DaVinci95 Go to Quoted Post
I received an offer today for a GS14 with no interview. It gives me pause, because I thought I was a longshot. The job requires some specialized experience that I know I'm light in, so my resume couldn't have blown them away. I'm confident I can do the job, but I figured I'd have to be pretty convincing in the interview. This is now the 4th government job (a 12, two 13s, and a 14) I've been offered with no interview.

DaVinci95,

I would love to know what your secrets for success are because you appear to be something really special!

No interview for 12, 13 or 14 is amazing. I am a 12 thinking about a 13, and I have had interviews for every single job so far.

Like I posted above, the first couple were probably down to desperation. My first Federal job was a 13 in Afghanistan in 2011. Most of the other engineers there were there for the same reason I was: they were laid off from a private sector job. But even in a recession, they weren't overwhelmed with applicants. Next came a 12 in Japan following a year-long hiring freeze. Half of my office was hired around the same time I was. We still weren't fully staffed when I left 4 years later. Leaving Japan, I got a 13 in DC via PPP. I've interviewed for other positions and didn't get selected for most of them, but I turned down a couple of offers because I'd already accepted one of the no-interview ones.

I can't explain the 14. The only thing I could come up with is that it's a relatively new agency and they may be just standing up this division. But I would think that would make it even more important to make sure you get the right people in place. Once I'm on board I'll probably ask why, but not until then. ;)
thanks 1 user thanked DaVinci95 for this useful post.
7Letters on 12/31/2018(UTC)
7Letters  
#22 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 6:45:03 AM(UTC)
7Letters

Groups: Registered

DaVinci95,

Thank you so much for the answer. Much appreciated!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed