Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

26 Pages«<1617181920>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JayMan06  
#341 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 5:25:28 AM(UTC)
JayMan06

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 9L81 Go to Quoted Post
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/552620000

Looks like it posted today.

Just got the email, thanks for the heads up.

I've been told that in long announcements they review and process applications in batches based on specific cutoff dayes. Do you have any info regarding when the first cutoff is?
9L81  
#342 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 9:21:35 AM(UTC)
9L81

United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 14 post(s)
No idea on timing for first cutoff. I think if anyone applies to the locations that really need people they will start processing as soon as they can.
trek123  
#343 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 3:12:19 PM(UTC)
trek123

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Couple questions... for the vacancy question one of them asked if I have atleast 24 accounting semester hours while another option was atleast 15 accounting hours and additionally 9 semester hours business, finance, tax law etc hours.

Which is the "better" selection choice if I have both? I majored accounting. The job post actually said the latter part, but another section said 24 accounting hours of which 9 have to be business, finance, tax law etc.

Also, for anyone with internal knowledge, which are the locations where they desire most SA? I am willing to move anywhere for this specific 1811 position. I am assuming its probably big metro areas like Chicago, LA, Dallas, etc?

jh1987  
#344 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 3:31:21 PM(UTC)
jh1987

United States

I would go with 24 hours in accounting. And as far as the locations it seems the bigger metro areas get more applicants...i applied for a smaller metro area and they still need people. I think if you dpnt care where you go try to think of the spots that people wont be applying to and apply there.
9L81  
#345 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 3:33:36 PM(UTC)
9L81

United States

If you think you can't afford to live there, it's a good bet they are short on agents.
AnotherLawyer  
#346 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 6:40:06 PM(UTC)
AnotherLawyer

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'm currently a local prosecutor looking to switch to an 1811 position. Already applied to Postal and FBI. I specialize in fraud cases, including tax fraud at the state level. However, I don't have any formal education in tax or accounting. Just my JD and on the job fraud prosecution experience (and a CFE certification.

In reading the new announcement, it looks like I would qualify for the GL-07 level, but not the 09 level. My question is does anyone with zero formal accounting education ever get hired as an IRS-CI? I suppose it's technically possible based on the minimum qualifications, but I'm curious if anyone knows if it is realistic.

It's not hard to apply so I might as well - just looking for input on my background.
ressgonzol  
#347 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 4:35:55 AM(UTC)
ressgonzol

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AnotherLawyer Go to Quoted Post
I'm currently a local prosecutor looking to switch to an 1811 position. Already applied to Postal and FBI. I specialize in fraud cases, including tax fraud at the state level. However, I don't have any formal education in tax or accounting. Just my JD and on the job fraud prosecution experience (and a CFE certification.

In reading the new announcement, it looks like I would qualify for the GL-07 level, but not the 09 level. My question is does anyone with zero formal accounting education ever get hired as an IRS-CI? I suppose it's technically possible based on the minimum qualifications, but I'm curious if anyone knows if it is realistic.

It's not hard to apply so I might as well - just looking for input on my background.

You must have the accounting credits.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#348 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 4:40:34 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ressgonzol Go to Quoted Post

One person in my class had 0 accounting credits but did have actual work experience investigating tax fraud on the state level and even worked a couple cases with IRS-CI. It’s possible but IRS is very picky about it.

If I were you, I would take some accounting classes. Apply anyway but definitely highlight your experience working tax fraud cases.

Edited by user Sunday, November 24, 2019 4:43:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ressgonzol  
#349 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 4:44:04 AM(UTC)
ressgonzol

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post

One person in my class had 0 accounting credits but did have actual work experience investigating tax fraud on the state level and even worked a couple cases with IRS-CI. It’s possible but IRS is very picky about it.

If I were you, I would take some accounting classes. Apply anyway but definitely highlight your experience working tax fraud cases.

Was he/she an internal?
CityUSA  
#350 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 4:52:59 AM(UTC)
CityUSA

United States

Being that they posted a new announcement, is it safe to say that they’re not considering anyone else that interviewed within the last 2 months?

Would they update USAJOBS as not considered/selected?
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#351 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 6:10:37 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was he/she an internal?

External.
9L81  
#352 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 9:02:36 AM(UTC)
9L81

United States

Originally Posted by: CityUSA Go to Quoted Post
Being that they posted a new announcement, is it safe to say that they’re not considering anyone else that interviewed within the last 2 months?

Probably moved on. I know my FO has.
cooljul  
#353 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 9:22:49 AM(UTC)
cooljul

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 65 post(s)

No i bet this is a new wave for more new agents, I don’t think they’re finished with the old announcement
professorx  
#354 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 12:15:09 PM(UTC)
professorx

United States

My understanding of the announcement is that the accounting credits are only required if you're qualifying solely based on education.

An older thread said that this was a public trust position. This announcement says that this requires a top secret security clearance. Is this new?
trek123  
#355 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 3:45:01 PM(UTC)
trek123

There is no study guide for the kase test right? Like how the DEA/FBI/HSI etc have one
AnotherLawyer  
#356 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 7:56:21 PM(UTC)
AnotherLawyer

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Would you take courses and then apply, or apply and take the courses while you are in the process? I work full time, so classes would have to be nights/weekends.

IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#357 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 10:27:06 PM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Would you take courses and then apply, or apply and take the courses while you are in the process? I work full time, so classes would have to be nights/weekends.

I would personally get the credits first. It’s a 12 month continuous roster so it’s not like you don’t have time. That CFE, although it’s good to have, will not affect your application one way or another.
Airedale260  
#358 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 6:40:03 AM(UTC)
Airedale260

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I got a call from the office where I interviewed saying they were hoping to have a response for me by the middle of November but it got delayed with HR.

I'm hoping that's a good sign if they reached out rather than just leave me hanging.
JayMan06  
#359 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 6:56:46 AM(UTC)
JayMan06

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Airedale260 Go to Quoted Post

I got a call from the office where I interviewed saying they were hoping to have a response for me by the middle of November but it got delayed with HR.

I'm hoping that's a good sign if they reached out rather than just leave me hanging.

In late October/early November my contacts told me that as far as they knew, not all decisions were made regarding the Feb 2019 announcement. I am not sure why TOs and FOs would go out so quickly if they have not finished considering all the candidates, but there may be some sort of delay at some offices. So far, I don't know of anyone interviewing in DC getting any type of offer.

That said, it doesn't hurt to apply again.

Edited by user Monday, November 25, 2019 6:57:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked JayMan06 for this useful post.
Airedale260 on 11/25/2019(UTC)
Spaceman_Spiff  
#360 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 7:11:09 AM(UTC)
Spaceman_Spiff

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I think the qualification questions for the new posting are a little more stringent than last year's job posting. I've been a Revenue Agent for 7 years with a bachelors in accounting, but I can't qualify due to the GPA.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed