Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

25 Pages«<1920212223>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
9L81  
#401 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:15:26 AM(UTC)
9L81

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Good question. I don't know the answer to that. My experience is that they are flexible when they can be so if an applicant has multiple interested PODs they more than likely will let the applicant choose within reason. If on POD is down many bodies and does have anyone committ to it and another has one or two openings and is already getting some slots filled, IRS may push the applicant to the POD with less interest.

I know my POD is hard to fill. From the February announcement we offered an applicant who ranked us last on his list, but still on the list. His previous choices were interested but had other applicants ranked higher so he didn't get an offer there. He declined our POD.
USMC03  
#402 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2019 3:05:55 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I just got an email saying to take the online assessments. Can someone please share their time line for prior postings?
9L81  
#403 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2019 3:11:21 PM(UTC)
9L81

United States

Originally Posted by: USMC03 Go to Quoted Post
I just got an email saying to take the online assessments. Can someone please share their time line for prior postings?

Timelines don't matter. This announcement is very different to any before it. It's new territory. This will be a quicker process than before.
USMC03  
#404 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:09:28 PM(UTC)
USMC03

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 9L81 Go to Quoted Post

Timelines don't matter. This announcement is very different to any before it. It's new territory. This will be a quicker process than before.

Can you expend on that? What’s so different ???
dubyac  
#405 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:38:03 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 22 post(s)

1. Many have shared timelines for the last two announcements. Roughly a year give or take depending on when you clear all items and when FLETC has a slot. If you want more detail, feel free to look at prior posts.

2. Prior announcements were only open for a week or a few days until a given number of applications were received. This is a 12 month announcement, so anyone who applies on day 1 of the announcement and the last day of the announcement next November will be in the process. So it will be multiple batches of applicants at different points in the process so who knows if that means faster or slower or what. The federal government works in mysterious ways.

9L81  
#406 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2019 10:02:05 PM(UTC)
9L81

United States

Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

1. Many have shared timelines for the last two announcements. Roughly a year give or take depending on when you clear all items and when FLETC has a slot. If you want more detail, feel free to look at prior posts.

2. Prior announcements were only open for a week or a few days until a given number of applications were received. This is a 12 month announcement, so anyone who applies on day 1 of the announcement and the last day of the announcement next November will be in the process. So it will be multiple batches of applicants at different points in the process so who knows if that means faster or slower or what. The federal government works in mysterious ways.

Pretty much this. The early applicants in this 12 month announcement are going to be pushed through so that CI can fill as many of the so far unfilled 240 slots allotted for training in this FY (my understanding is about 90 of the 240 will not be filled by Feb 2019 applicants). Once those are spoken for or once it becomes too late to fill them (the last scheduled class start is for August 2020 IIRC) then CI may well slow down the process. At this point there is no telling how many slots will be available in FY2021 or even if there will be any. Since the last few announcements have taken about a year to get through the process this is already set up to be a much shorter timeline.

Realistically assuming most of the Feb 2019 new hires fill the earlier classes, CI has until about May to start getting offers out from the current announcement (not looking at the schedule right now but that's how I remember it).

I don't know what FY2021 holds but I get the feeling it will have several new hire classes as well. Maybe not 10 but I think it will be at least enough to cover the expected attrition.
Tiny_Fed_69  
#407 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2019 6:18:48 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm applying to this years posting (2019). And I'm wondering how long the training camp is. I think the website says your total training is 9 months? Is that right? How much of that do you spend in Georgia? And where do you go for the rest of the training?
9L81  
#408 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2019 6:31:31 AM(UTC)
9L81

United States

Formal training (SABT) includes three parts. There is an initial day or two of admin when you get to FLETC (I think it is called pre-basic). Then you go through CITP which is about 56 training days (general criminal investigators course which most agencies' 1811s attend - 12 weeks or so). Then you do SAIT which is the IRS-CI specific add on (special agent investigative techniques). Last I heard that was about 65 training days. All told if they are done consecutively it is about 6 months. Holidays, weather, etc can change that.

Recently SAIT was taught to I believe 2 classes at FLETC in Charleston as sort of a trial. Not sure IRS will be doing that again. Otherwise all the training is at FLETC in Glynco, GA. Depending on factors it's possible to do CITP and then have a break before doing SAIT. Ideally it's just one trip to GA for all three phases consecutively. This all assumes a 5 day training week. CITP has been run as a 6 day a week schedule when the campus was impacted just to get through more classes in a period of time. Not sure if SAIT has ever been run that way. To my knowledge it has not.
Tiny_Fed_69  
#409 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2019 6:57:03 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Formal training (SABT) includes three parts. There is an initial day or two of admin when you get to FLETC (I think it is called pre-basic). Then you go through CITP which is about 56 training days (general criminal investigators course which most agencies' 1811s attend - 12 weeks or so). Then you do SAIT which is the IRS-CI specific add on (special agent investigative techniques). Last I heard that was about 65 training days. All told if they are done consecutively it is about 6 months. Holidays, weather, etc can change that.

Recently SAIT was taught to I believe 2 classes at FLETC in Charleston as sort of a trial. Not sure IRS will be doing that again. Otherwise all the training is at FLETC in Glynco, GA. Depending on factors it's possible to do CITP and then have a break before doing SAIT. Ideally it's just one trip to GA for all three phases consecutively. This all assumes a 5 day training week. CITP has been run as a 6 day a week schedule when the campus was impacted just to get through more classes in a period of time. Not sure if SAIT has ever been run that way. To my knowledge it has not.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. The IRS website made it sound like the whole thing was 9 months long. I recently convinced my wife that 5 months at Quantico isn't all that bad. So maybe I can convince her that 6 months isn't that bad either.
9L81  
#410 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2019 7:08:06 AM(UTC)
9L81

United States

Originally Posted by: Tiny_Fed_69 Go to Quoted Post

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. The IRS website made it sound like the whole thing was 9 months long. I recently convinced my wife that 5 months at Quantico isn't all that bad. So maybe I can convince her that 6 months isn't that bad either.

What's one more month really. Plus you go to Quantico without knowing where you will be placed permanently (at least that's the last I heard about FBI and DEA but things change). Not so for IRS.
Tiny_Fed_69  
#411 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2019 7:17:54 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

What's one more month really. Plus you go to Quantico without knowing where you will be placed permanently (at least that's the last I heard about FBI and DEA but things change). Not so for IRS.

Exactly. Seems that's more than worth an extra month away from home.
dubyac  
#412 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2019 3:14:40 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

I believe at Quantico, around week five a drunken monkey comes into the class throwing darts for what field office you’ll go to. At least, that’s the rumor I’ve heard...

The six months goes quick. It’ll feel like an eternity there but, worth it.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#413 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2019 3:19:05 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post
I believe at Quantico, around week five a drunken monkey comes into the class throwing darts for what field office you’ll go to. At least, that’s the rumor I’ve heard...

The six months goes quick. It’ll feel like an eternity there but, worth it.

Especially those last 3 months!
InPlainSight  
#414 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2019 11:21:12 AM(UTC)
InPlainSight

Thanks for continuing to share such helpful information. Regarding the physical aspects, how intensive is CITP? Is SAIT the same? I'm only trying to figure out as I may be asked to head down after recovering from an injury, once medically cleared of course, and I'm curious how bad it may be getting back into the swing of things after a while off.
9L81  
#415 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2019 2:05:24 PM(UTC)
9L81

United States

It wasn't so bad for me. In CITP a lot depends on the instructors you get for your mat room sessions and whether or not your class understands and can adapt to the expectations of a training environment. Initially you will get smoked by design and the sooner everyone buys in to putting out THEIR full effort the sooner the instructors can get past that phase and move on to more interesting and fun stuff. In my class it was pretty quick. We had a good group as later confirmed by the cadre themselves. If you are in a group with a bunch of whiners and people who refuse to put out then expect it to suck for as long as that behavior continues.

In SAIT we were outside more, doing different things. We wore our ballistic vest while doing a lot of the training. The overall intensity was lower on average. We were more concerned with techniques and how CI does things differently than how we were taught in CITP.

The instructors I had aren't likely to be the ones you have so your mileage may vary. I got the sense that cadre had a lot of freedom to mix things up as they saw fit as long as certain techniques were covered (handcuffing techniques, search patterns, DT skills, etc).
passwordistaco  
#416 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2019 7:06:52 AM(UTC)
passwordistaco

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
For those of you who haven’t seen it, CI’s 2019 annual report is out. I found reviewing the annual report to be very helpful in prepping for my interview.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/...gation_annual_report.pdf
dubyac  
#417 Posted : Sunday, December 22, 2019 11:07:49 AM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: InPlainSight Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for continuing to share such helpful information. Regarding the physical aspects, how intensive is CITP? Is SAIT the same? I'm only trying to figure out as I may be asked to head down after recovering from an injury, once medically cleared of course, and I'm curious how bad it may be getting back into the swing of things after a while off.

It's also going to depend on what the make up of your CITP class is. The other half of mine was entirely Secret Service. All former police/military. Sparring with them was tough. Good experience, but more intense. Some instructors are more intense than others. You will get smoked by design initially as previously mentioned. It all depends on what agencies make up your class and what instructors you get (and you won't always have the same instructor if there's a scheduling conflict.) I knew of one CITP class that was all US Marshals but for one lone AFOSI student...

My CITP matroom sessions were heavy with grappling. Lots of BJJ, lots of striking, with some weight-room mixed in. SAIT was more intense sometimes.

I'll expand on what 9L81 said. My class had a few strong personalities. Lots of smart-ass comments and questions about minutae. You know what that means? Whole class does burpees. Someone is late? That's cool, let's all hold a plank until they show up.

Show up early with what you need, don't complain and you'll be ok.

Edited by user Sunday, December 22, 2019 11:08:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tiny_Fed_69  
#418 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 6:08:32 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Anyone know what the process actually looks like now? I finished the online assessment a few days ago. I assume some sort of written test/assessment is next and that's followed by some sort of interview.
aspiring_agent_CA  
#419 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 7:12:10 AM(UTC)
aspiring_agent_CA

United States

Anyone know what the process actually looks like now? I finished the online assessment a few days ago. I assume some sort of written test/assessment is next and that's followed by some sort of interview.

Can I ask how long it was between when you applied and when you received the online assessment?
Tiny_Fed_69  
#420 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 7:19:47 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Originally Posted by: aspiring_agent_CA Go to Quoted Post

Can I ask how long it was between when you applied and when you received the online assessment?

I got an email 7 days after I applied saying I could go forward in the process and it had links to the online assessment stuff. Probably the fastest I've seen the federal government move lol.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed