Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

25 Pages«<2021222324>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aspiring_agent_CA  
#421 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 8:02:06 AM(UTC)
aspiring_agent_CA

Groups: Registered
United States

Anyone here know of someone that was hired from a background in AML (Anti-Money Laundering)? I do AML investigations for a bank, and I'm wondering if the IRS would be interested in that type of experience, or strictly accounting experience..?
Tiny_Fed_69  
#422 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 8:50:35 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: aspiring_agent_CA Go to Quoted Post
Anyone here know of someone that was hired from a background in AML (Anti-Money Laundering)? I do AML investigations for a bank, and I'm wondering if the IRS would be interested in that type of experience, or strictly accounting experience..?

For what it's worth, I'm an attorney with an audit/compliance background in a very weird field and I made it through the initial screening. Aside from tax/business classes in law school, I only had one accounting course (during undergrad).

If I make it through the next step, I'll let you know.

IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#423 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 10:25:57 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 53 post(s)

AML experience is great but you should be also have accounting credits which is 15 credits. Since this is a continuous announcement you have time to get them if you don’t have them.

The initial screening is based on your answers. Before the proctored exam the IRS will confirm accounting credits and experience. If not met, you will be given notice and cut from further consideration.
aspiring_agent_CA  
#424 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 10:37:27 AM(UTC)
aspiring_agent_CA

United States

Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post

AML experience is great but you should be also have accounting credits which is 15 credits. Since this is a continuous announcement you have time to get them if you don’t have them.

The initial screening is based on your answers. Before the proctored exam the IRS will confirm accounting credits and experience. If not met, you will be given notice and cut from further consideration.

From what I understand, you can qualify based on either education or experience, or a combination of both. Right? Accounting credits are not necessarily required. Only if you are qualifying via education rather than professional experience.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#425 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 10:46:24 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

IRS is very picky with experience. I’ve seen people with experience that looked like it matched what IRS was looking for but still were found ineligible. You can try applying and see what they say but if you are found ineligible you cannot just reapply to the same announcement.

I personally don’t think AML experience alone is sufficient without the accounting credits but I could be wrong.

Red  
#426 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 1:04:52 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I worked with an agent whose qualifying experience was as a repo officer for a bank (probably better than accounting experience, to be truthful). Also saw the service turn down a state cop with a finance degree and very strong investigative background. It seems to be a crap shoot, although they usually rely too much on the 15 hours of accounting and thereby miss some excellent candidates. It is a common misconception that we are all accountants. Go ahead and apply- you never can tell.
dubyac  
#427 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 1:19:35 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I know two agents who didn’t have the accounting hours and qualified by experience.

On the other hand, I know one guy who’s been denied twice who tried to get on by experience.

My advice would be to read the qualifications on the job announcement and make sure your experiences on your application address those qualifications as best as possible.

AnotherLawyer  
#428 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 9:33:49 PM(UTC)
AnotherLawyer

United States

Can't for the life of me figure out how to answer even the first two education/experience questions. Kinda hard to answer the item that best describes your education when like 3 of them are applicable. And the wording for both questions is really strange.

I don't really care that much because if I get through the screening they will see my resume and it will make sense. But for now I'm afraid of picking the wrong answer...

Tiny_Fed_69  
#429 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 6:22:58 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Originally Posted by: AnotherLawyer Go to Quoted Post
Can't for the life of me figure out how to answer even the first two education/experience questions. Kinda hard to answer the item that best describes your education when like 3 of them are applicable. And the wording for both questions is really strange.

I don't really care that much because if I get through the screening they will see my resume and it will make sense. But for now I'm afraid of picking the wrong answer...

Yes, I found all the experience questions kind of confusing. I assume one is the "better" answer, which makes it difficult if you have the experience that qualifies you for multiple answers. I have an accountant friend who's applying too and he was kind of confused as well (I told him to just go with the accounting based answers since he actually has that education lol).
cp2000  
#430 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 4:59:07 PM(UTC)
cp2000

United States

Los Angeles field office sent out TOs yesterday.

When an agent starts at GS7, what step is that generally at? 10?
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#431 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:31:48 PM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Originally Posted by: cp2000 Go to Quoted Post
Los Angeles field office sent out TOs yesterday.

When an agent starts at GS7, what step is that generally at? 10?

Step 1
Airedale260  
#432 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 1:46:28 PM(UTC)
Airedale260

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Good news, I got my tentative offer yesterday!

One question I've been wondering...my ultimate dream (we are talking several years down the line, I know) is to get an international posting someday. I know IRS-CI has them, and that getting assigned to international duty in general requires you to prove you're a go-getter, a master of your craft, have stellar performance reviews, volunteer for all sorts of stuff to get yourself out there, but how many slots are there? Is it just one GS-14/15, or is it a posting with multiple people like with FBI and HSI?

Thanks in advance, and good luck all!
CityUSA  
#433 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 3:54:22 PM(UTC)
CityUSA

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Got a tentative offer.

Just out curiosity, the ones that got a TO applied to the California PODs?

I’m from the East Coast and applied to the San Francisco POD as my fourth option. I would like to have an idea just in case I need to mentally prep myself to potentially move.
Airedale260  
#434 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 5:00:03 PM(UTC)
Airedale260

United States

Originally Posted by: CityUSA Go to Quoted Post
Got a tentative offer.

Just out curiosity, the ones that got a TO applied to the California PODs?

I’m from the East Coast and applied to the San Francisco POD as my fourth option. I would like to have an idea just in case I need to mentally prep myself to potentially move.

My selections for the 1-5 were all in the Northeast, so no way of really knowing. Though they do emphasize “don’t pick a place you aren’t willing to go” because you might get it. The agents on here can tell you better than I can, but it’s a possibility. Plus there’s the mobility agreement.

That said, though, agencies generally try to get you where you want to go. Just depends on a number of factors. Also, I don’t know for sure, but if HR calls you can always ask about another office (example: there’s a bunch on the current announcement that weren’t listed in this one. Worst case they say no and you do three years in SF, then try and transfer to another office.
CityUSA  
#435 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 5:17:48 PM(UTC)
CityUSA

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Good to hear. My first three options were in the North East too.

San Francisco is a location I’m willing to relocate to. I was just curious based on a post above stating that LA sent out their TO.

Did you apply through the previous posting or the new 12-month open application?
9L81  
#436 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 8:33:15 PM(UTC)
9L81

United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Airedale260 Go to Quoted Post

One question I've been wondering...my ultimate dream (we are talking several years down the line, I know) is to get an international posting someday. I know IRS-CI has them, and that getting assigned to international duty in general requires you to prove you're a go-getter, a master of your craft, have stellar performance reviews, volunteer for all sorts of stuff to get yourself out there, but how many slots are there? Is it just one GS-14/15, or is it a posting with multiple people like with FBI and HSI?

I believe there are about 15 total right now. Some locations have a deputy but most don't. From what I can tell you have to work some successful international cases to be looked at for one of those positions. Foreign language proficiency would also be a major part of being selected. Some areas are always working cases with foreign nationals and often the cases can go international. Other areas hardly work foreign nationals. If that's something you are hell bent on doing your odds are much better elsewhere.
thanks 1 user thanked 9L81 for this useful post.
Airedale260 on 1/11/2020(UTC)
Airedale260  
#437 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2020 8:06:03 AM(UTC)
Airedale260

United States

Originally Posted by: 9L81 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Airedale260 Go to Quoted Post

I believe there are about 15 total right now. Some locations have a deputy but most don't. From what I can tell you have to work some successful international cases to be looked at for one of those positions. Foreign language proficiency would also be a major part of being selected. Some areas are always working cases with foreign nationals and often the cases can go international. Other areas hardly work foreign nationals. If that's something you are hell bent on doing your odds are much better elsewhere.

No worries, I appreciate it!

Truth be told, I'm just excited to have the chance to be a CI agent.
AnotherLawyer  
#438 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2020 5:47:08 PM(UTC)
AnotherLawyer

United States

Congrats to all getting offer notices!

How long does it take to be notified whether you pass the initial screening?
Tiny_Fed_69  
#439 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 6:22:17 AM(UTC)
Tiny_Fed_69

United States

Originally Posted by: AnotherLawyer Go to Quoted Post
Congrats to all getting offer notices!

How long does it take to be notified whether you pass the initial screening?

You mean the initial screening after you submit your application? If so, I think it was about 6 days for me. The initial email says you answered the questions right, so they're letting you go forward in the process. After that, it was about another week and I got an email for the online assessment.
Airedale260  
#440 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 3:27:16 PM(UTC)
Airedale260

United States

Also was wondering: What does the medical exam cover? I’d assume EKG, basic poke & prod, TB, hearing, & vision, but do they also have a psych component?

I’ll have to get one, probably (history of anxiety and depression but it’s under control with meds and therapy), but when I went for a similar position back in 2017 with another agency I had to find a doctor who could do it (I did pass it but tripped up on a panel interview). Does IRS do it automatically, or would they accept a letter from my doctor, or will I need to schedule an exam?

Thanks!

Edited by user Monday, January 13, 2020 3:29:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed