Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

26 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Spaceman_Spiff  
#41 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 12:36:10 PM(UTC)
Spaceman_Spiff

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Most of the agents I've come across have take-home GOV's. The make and model will vary, I have seen Dodge Charger, Ford Escape, Ford Fusion, Chevy Impala, Ford Taurus. They have al had a little light bar in the windshield and rear window, not sure on sirens.
Spaceman_Spiff  
#42 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 12:39:35 PM(UTC)
Spaceman_Spiff

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I applied to the IRS CI announcements, as well as SSA & GSA recently.
dubyac  
#43 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 3:48:50 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Throwing in my two cents: my hiring process was a year from application to starting. Training is six months. Though, you could have time between basic and advanced training.

If you’re private sector applying to IRS-CI, I’d recommend putting some thought towards the reality that this is still a law enforcement position. I’ve come across a couple who’ve had that realization. Not questioning anyone’s motivation, but it’s a good gutcheck to have.

Bring a car to FLETC.

Feel free to PM if you have questions.

1811BAMF  
#44 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2019 7:33:45 AM(UTC)
1811BAMF

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post
Throwing in my two cents: my hiring process was a year from application to starting. Training is six months. Though, you could have time between basic and advanced training.

If you’re private sector applying to IRS-CI, I’d recommend putting some thought towards the reality that this is still a law enforcement position. I’ve come across a couple who’ve had that realization. Not questioning anyone’s motivation, but it’s a good gutcheck to have.

Bring a car to FLETC.

THIS.

THIS IS A LAW ENFOREMENT POSITION. You are not an auditor nor a revenue agent/officer. You will point your gun at people. You will put hands on people. If that is not for you do not apply. If you want to sit at a computer and stare at spreadsheets for 8 hours a day do not apply to this job. If you are nervous talking to people, do not apply to this job. This is law enforcement people. Know what you are getting into.

For instance:
https://www.cbs19.tv/art...2-4cd5-99d7-007dabe5eb39

'As part of their operations, UAB members and associates reportedly participated in a significant and widespread methamphetamine distribution scheme directed by incarcerated UAB leaders using the cell phones. Prosecutors say members laundered hundreds of thousands of dollars in illegal drug proceeds for the benefit of the UAB enterprise, using cash transfers, stored value cards, PayPal and Walmart money transfers. Investigators from IRS Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI) helped trace the money trail.'

Edited by user Saturday, February 23, 2019 7:38:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

irsfca  
#45 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2019 5:59:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1811BAMF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

Bring a car to FLETC.

THIS.

THIS IS A LAW ENFOREMENT POSITION. You are not an auditor nor a revenue agent/officer. You will point your gun at people. You will put hands on people. If that is not for you do not apply. If you want to sit at a computer and stare at spreadsheets for 8 hours a day do not apply to this job. If you are nervous talking to people, do not apply to this job. This is law enforcement people. Know what you are getting into.

For instance:
https://www.cbs19.tv/art...2-4cd5-99d7-007dabe5eb39

'As part of their operations, UAB members and associates reportedly participated in a significant and widespread methamphetamine distribution scheme directed by incarcerated UAB leaders using the cell phones. Prosecutors say members laundered hundreds of thousands of dollars in illegal drug proceeds for the benefit of the UAB enterprise, using cash transfers, stored value cards, PayPal and Walmart money transfers. Investigators from IRS Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI) helped trace the money trail.'

Seconded. If you’re asking why lights and sirens are installed in a police vehicle then you’re in the wrong place, that one should be obvious. If you’re not clear on the fact that this is a law enforcement position, you’re in the wrong place. Any 1811 knows at least one person who got into the job for a take home g ride or the LEAP pay and those people are avoided like the plague when it comes time to doing anything important. They can be downright dangerous to work with for not having the right mindset and attitude for the job. There’s a very big difference between watching the cop shows and thinking it’s cool vs actually pointing a gun at someone in a high stress enforcement action situation.
dubyac  
#46 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2019 6:47:38 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

One of the things I hear over and over again is the reputation IRS-CI has for being competent and thorough. And, if there's a financial angle (which...is why criminals commit crimes) there's a place for IRS-CI. On top of tax cases, IRS-CI gets detailed to every task force.

If you don't have any law enforcement experience, I wouldn't let that discourage you either. I didn't and I think CITP has been a good preparation to 1. learn basic law enforcement skills and 2. help me realize my own weaknesses to work on. Great at shooting, comfortable at interviewing, need work on ground fighting. More important to find out what you're lacking in and develop those skills so when things go sideways you're prepared.

dubyac  
#47 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2019 8:25:47 AM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

The opening has been extended to March 1. I'm not sure if they'll extend it a full year as originally planned or keep going week by week until they have sufficient applications.
scottyd27  
#48 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 4:59:57 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Per the IRM it says SA’s rate a govt. how it’s equipped I don’t know
newguy724  
#49 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 6:03:19 AM(UTC)
newguy724

I am aware that this is a law enforcement position and am prepared to do what is necessary if I get an offer. As for this posting that is up right now, if they extend it for a year, will they review applications monthly? I know the Secret Service will sometimes do that for a posting. I wasn't sure how it worked with the IRS-CI. If they don't review monthly, will they just go for the full year, or close once they have a significant pool of applicants?
jh1987  
#50 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 6:14:25 AM(UTC)
jh1987

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just applied for the vacancy also. Any advice from the guys that have been through it before on what to review for the tests? I am currently working as an Auditor for a state government so I am behind in Tax Accounting.

Edited by user Monday, February 25, 2019 6:17:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scottyd27  
#51 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 6:17:26 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Be patient.

I’m not going to tell you what’s on the test. You might be my competition.
passwordistaco  
#52 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 7:15:15 AM(UTC)
passwordistaco

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I declined an interview last year because I got the call for the interview within a week of moving and starting a new position. I gave this place a shot but my heart's not in it and I'm ready to start back with the CI process. Submitted my app, hopefully I make the cert list.
Steve11388  
#53 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:54:41 AM(UTC)
Steve11388

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
The first test isn’t really anything that you can study for, don’t worry about it :-).
goldscca  
#54 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 11:38:11 AM(UTC)
goldscca

United States

I have an accounting degree, 5 years accounting experience and 6 years experience as a military police officer so I think I meet the requirements and would be a good fit for the position but I can not find anywhere if there are height and weight requirements or other physical requirements. I would expect everyone to need to be at a certain level by the completion of training but is there a requirement that needs to be met prior to?
1811BAMF  
#55 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 12:18:16 PM(UTC)
1811BAMF

Originally Posted by: goldscca Go to Quoted Post
I have an accounting degree, 5 years accounting experience and 6 years experience as a military police officer so I think I meet the requirements and would be a good fit for the position but I can not find anywhere if there are height and weight requirements or other physical requirements. I would expect everyone to need to be at a certain level by the completion of training but is there a requirement that needs to be met prior to?

There isn't. lol
goldscca  
#56 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 12:44:34 PM(UTC)
goldscca

United States

WOW, really? I guess I will just shoot to try to get the 90% for the Physical Efficiency Battery fitness test that will be taken at FLETC.
1811BAMF  
#57 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 3:44:55 PM(UTC)
1811BAMF

Originally Posted by: goldscca Go to Quoted Post
WOW, really? I guess I will just shoot to try to get the 90% for the Physical Efficiency Battery fitness test that will be taken at FLETC.

hope the other applicants have your same attitude.
newguy724  
#58 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 12:19:55 PM(UTC)
newguy724

As stated earlier I have auditing and accounting experience. About 4 years total. I also have some education in accounting. No I know I need to wait for any results to come through, but does anyone have advice on how I should better prepare myself for the hiring process or FLETC when that time comes?
newguy724  
#59 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:52:26 AM(UTC)
newguy724

Is it a good sign to see that my qualifications are under review? And does anyone know how long that review process takes?
passwordistaco  
#60 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2019 8:12:58 AM(UTC)
passwordistaco

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: newguy724 Go to Quoted Post
Is it a good sign to see that my qualifications are under review? And does anyone know how long that review process takes?

I think it took three or four months during the last announcement to get eligibility ratings.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed