Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ThinkWinWin  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2018 8:24:42 PM(UTC)
ThinkWinWin

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello friends,

I'm a new CCA and I am feeling overwhelmed. I've been delivering mail on my own for 1 week mostly mounted. In 6 days I have worked at 4 different post offices.

On day 3, I completed an entire route (the smallest route at the station I was at that day) and I felt like things were starting to come together for me. It was a good day. Then on day 4, I went to another station and did park & loop. I was a walking disaster. I may have set an all-time record for most mistakes made in one day by a carrier.

Today I went to yet another post office and it went better overall, but I was on the clock for 6.5 hours and only completed 2 1-hour pivots.

Is this normal? Or even somewhat normal?

roger.d  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2018 8:38:36 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 478 post(s)
You don't know the town. You don't know where the mail boxes are. It will take time.

Finger the mail as you can while walking. Stop at the end of the driveway and identify where the box is. Then walk up to the house getting the mail ready.

Speed comes with experience.

Being unsafe and getting injured or having a vehicle accident is a fast way to being released.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
thanks 2 users thanked roger.d for this useful post.
GordonG on 11/10/2018(UTC), PhaseIVDBCS on 11/10/2018(UTC)
FutureCarrier  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 7:23:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Your still new so just try and follow the mail. I am not trying to be rude or mean, but how did it take you 6.5 hours to do 2 hours of the route? Was it super heavy? A lot of parcels? Maybe I can help streamline your how you carry the mail.
gimmea3996  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 8:40:22 AM(UTC)
gimmea3996

Groups: Unapproved
United States

Perfectly normal. It'll come with experience and it takes what it takes.
ThinkWinWin  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 6:23:22 PM(UTC)
ThinkWinWin

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks, I appreciate the replies. They sent me to another PO today, 45 minutes away. Park & Loop. I made up my mind that I was going to take my time and remain calm. Take a little extra time to get organized, instead of pushing myself to go faster. The day went very smooth. I wasn't able to finish the entire route myself. They sent someone to take part of the route from me. At day's end the supervisor said I did a good job.

Hey, if she's happy, I'm happy!
gimmea3996  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 8:07:14 PM(UTC)
gimmea3996

Groups: Unapproved
United States

Originally Posted by: ThinkWinWin Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, I appreciate the replies. They sent me to another PO today, 45 minutes away. Park & Loop. I made up my mind that I was going to take my time and remain calm. Take a little extra time to get organized, instead of pushing myself to go faster. The day went very smooth. I wasn't able to finish the entire route myself. They sent someone to take part of the route from me. At day's end the supervisor said I did a good job.

Hey, if she's happy, I'm happy!

There ya go. Haste makes waste. Good job.
122intheshade  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 9:38:52 AM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 540 time(s) in 431 post(s)
Let me tell you about my first "solo flight" as a CCA. I ride with a carrier for a day for OJI. That was an all-CBU route. I'm thinking "Man! Piece O cake!!"

So, the first day. Come in at 10. They give me a couple trays of DPS, one FSS, a few parcels and SPRs, and a map. It's a park & loop route. I have no bag, no clue as to what P&L is (NEVER came up at the academy), AND they give me an Uplander. So, I'm trying to set the DPS on the passenger seat, the FSS on the floor.

I do what should have been a couple hours as a hop & stop. Deliver an address. Creep the car to the next address. Get out, walk around to the other side of the car, get the mail for the next address. Repeat a couple hundred times. Took me SEVEN FREAKING HOURS. AND I still wasn't finished. I call the AM supervisor, who's already home watching Monday Night Football. He sighs, and just says "Bring it back."

I've been at that office nearly six years now. I've done exactly TWO one-hour stretches of P&L since. I borrowed the dusty, crusty bag in the corner.

So, I'm the perfect example of the old saying, "Better to remain silent and let people think you're an idiot, than to speak and erase all doubt".
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
Minnesota Postmaster  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 10:46:42 AM(UTC)
Minnesota Postmaster

United States

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yes, it is normal to be slow when you are new. Do not be do hard on yourself. It will all come together before you know it so just do your best. Your Mgr/Pm knows that you are new too. Just be safe in everything that you do and you will be a veteran in no time.
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you
roger.d  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 1:28:58 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 478 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Minnesota Postmaster Go to Quoted Post
Yes, it is normal to be slow when you are new. Do not be do hard on yourself. It will all come together before you know it so just do your best. Your Mgr/Pm knows that you are new too. Just be safe in everything that you do and you will be a veteran in no time.

Unfortunately, as you know, some supervisors/managers/PM's don't fee this way. They expect a new employee to "get the job done".

And it is not confined to CCA's. Some will try to bully a FTR that is on a new route to be done in 8. Even though the reason the route is vacant is because district OPS made the route over 8 hours.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
Rss Feed  Atom Feed