Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DoppioCafe  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:26:22 AM(UTC)
DoppioCafe

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm one year into my federal service. I have 8 years military service. I wanted to buy back my military service. But the problem is, I'm medically retired. I've address this with my CPAC, and they said I can't buy back as I'm already retired. However, i don't receive a retirement check (money) for my military retirement. I don't receive anything actually, except medical benefits which I can get with my federal employment anyway (or VA, as my VA rating is well above my retiree rating). So, down to my question. Does anyone know a waiver, or any process on how I may be able to buy back my military time? Is renouncing a retirement an option? That may sound silly, but I get nothing from being a retiree. Really just an ID card. And I'd rather just complete 11 more years of service (or have that option) instead of a full 20. (of course, who wouldn't?)

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:46:37 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 939 time(s) in 744 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DoppioCafe Go to Quoted Post
I'm one year into my federal service. I have 8 years military service. I wanted to buy back my military service. But the problem is, I'm medically retired. I've address this with my CPAC, and they said I can't buy back as I'm already retired. However, i don't receive a retirement check (money) for my military retirement. I don't receive anything actually, except medical benefits which I can get with my federal employment anyway (or VA, as my VA rating is well above my retiree rating). So, down to my question. Does anyone know a waiver, or any process on how I may be able to buy back my military time? Is renouncing a retirement an option? That may sound silly, but I get nothing from being a retiree. Really just an ID card. And I'd rather just complete 11 more years of service (or have that option) instead of a full 20. (of course, who wouldn't?)

1st, your CPAC are morons. As a military retiree with 22 years of service I can buy back all my time if I wanted to (did the math...I need to make SES in the next 3-5 years before the payback becomes worthwhile- barely! I don't plan on trying for SES. It may happen, but it is not something I am actively looking at!). You need to get with DFAS to see what your salary was during your 8 years. (https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemp...edeposits/estimator.html to start).

2nd. If your CPAC insists you can't do it, ask to speak to a supervisor or someone with a clue.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
DoppioCafe on 11/20/2018(UTC)
DoppioCafe  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:52:39 AM(UTC)
DoppioCafe

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Wow, thank you for the quick advice! I will certainly reinvigorate this with my CPAC.
TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 7:11:39 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 103 post(s)

Here's a link to the service credit deposit information (military service credit is about half way down the page): https://www.opm.gov/reti...ormation/service-credit/

Here's a link to information about crediting military service when you are receiving retirement pay, which also includes DFAS contact information: https://www.opm.gov/reti...on/military-retired-pay/

Best of luck!

thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
DoppioCafe on 11/20/2018(UTC)
someoldguy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2019 6:57:17 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 897 time(s) in 751 post(s)
I submitted the forms and it turns out I was one of the fortunate ones: I got credit for periods of active duty not covered by a DD214.

However, a couple of the periods that I did have DD214's were not correctly processed. I will have to double check to see if I may have made a mistake on the forms I sent in... but even if I did, they had the DD214 to look at!

One thing that may have helped my cause was including all my promotion orders... I heard one guy got dinged for that. Provided orders and LES's for all periods of active duty that did not have a DD214.

Anyway I'm further along than I thought.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
10years2retire  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 01, 2019 9:23:15 AM(UTC)
10years2retire

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)

Don't call it medical retirement, call it a medical discharge, much better for a HR person's ears
Jitterbug  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2019 10:57:07 AM(UTC)
Jitterbug

Groups: Unapproved
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Something does not make sense about your story.
The line from your post that reads: "as my VA rating is well above my retiree rating",
tells me that you have a VA rating correct?
Another line reads you are "medically retired", correct?
There is no way you are not getting paid, period!
If it is true that you are not getting paid, they owe you money.
If you are medically retired, then no you cannot buy back your time unless you want to give up what the government is paying you now or should be paying you, which would be Stupid.
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2019 11:22:58 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 939 time(s) in 744 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gerardo Go to Quoted Post
Something does not make sense about your story.
The line from your post that reads: "as my VA rating is well above my retiree rating",
tells me that you have a VA rating correct?
Another line reads you are "medically retired", correct?
There is no way you are not getting paid, period!
If it is true that you are not getting paid, they owe you money.
If you are medically retired, then no you cannot buy back your time unless you want to give up what the government is paying you now or should be paying you, which would be Stupid.
This sounds like a medical retirement wherein the military member gets the higher of the retired pay (which with just 8 years of service would not be much) or what the VA rating provides. When medically discharged/retired, the military provides what they classify your disability at, and then you go to the VA to see what they rate it at. Many times, the VA comes in higher...but not always...and as such, you get the higher VA amount (which is tax free so is even better). They

https://www.thebalancecareers.co...-and-retirements-3356969 and https://www.military.com/benefit...sability-retirement.html explain it fairly simply.

Edited by user Monday, April 08, 2019 11:25:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed