Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
federalemployee2013  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 1:23:46 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Question: What exact date do I quit if I have excess annual leave over the 240 hour use-or-lose cap?
Fact: The last day of the 2018 pay period is Sat., Jan. 5, 2019.

My situation:
In order to get my accrued 240 hours + approximately 60 excess annual leave hours I've also accrued + the 4 additional hours everyone gets (due to leap years) if one works the full final pay period of the year...do I give my last official day as Fri. Jan. 4, 2019 or Sat., Jan. 5, 2019?

In other words, to minimize any HR mess ups but to maximize my annual leave lump sum cash out (including that 4 hours of leap year leave we get each year), what actual date do I tell HR that I'm quitting--Friday or Saturday?

Also, is there any chance that quitting on the last day or second to last day of the last pay period will cause HR problems or even jeopardize my excess above-and-beyond-the-240-hour cap?

Thanks for all your responses.
FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 2:52:28 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: federalemployee2013 Go to Quoted Post
Question: What exact date do I quit if I have excess annual leave over the 240 hour use-or-lose cap?
Fact: The last day of the 2018 pay period is Sat., Jan. 5, 2019.

My situation:
In order to get my accrued 240 hours + approximately 60 excess annual leave hours I've also accrued + the 4 additional hours everyone gets (due to leap years) if one works the full final pay period of the year...do I give my last official day as Fri. Jan. 4, 2019 or Sat., Jan. 5, 2019?

In other words, to minimize any HR mess ups but to maximize my annual leave lump sum cash out (including that 4 hours of leap year leave we get each year), what actual date do I tell HR that I'm quitting--Friday or Saturday?

Also, is there any chance that quitting on the last day or second to last day of the last pay period will cause HR problems or even jeopardize my excess above-and-beyond-the-240-hour cap?

Thanks for all your responses.

Neither the federal employee nor the employer are the epitome of efficient or effective. Call human resources to discuss the situation. Ideally walk out the door end of year to avoid loosing the noted 60 hours. In the event the paperwork is not completed in time are you willing to go to court to collect the 60 hours?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed