Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.




Administered by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, this defined contribution plan for federal employees has roughly 4,614,874 participants, and over $358 billion in assets under management. Ask your TSP questions and post related topics here.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2018 7:27:17 AM(UTC)

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/17/2017(UTC)
Posts: 27
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Can I rollover my pre-taxed retirement balance from a state government agency to TSP?
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2018 6:14:51 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2013(UTC)
Posts: 3,933

Thanks: 279 times
Was thanked: 905 time(s) in 758 post(s)
The only thing I can think of is that if you leave federal service before becoming vested in the retirement (ie before five years), you CANNOT roll your FERS contributions over into the TSP because they are POST-tax. However, any interest that accrues on those contribution are PRE-TAX and CAN be rolled over if you so choose.

So based on that one data point and a bit of leaping to conclusions, I'd say that the key point is if the contributions were pre-tax. In the case you describe, they are; so I suspect that they can be.

But I'm just a (someold)guy on the internet (see standard disclaimer below). Maybe try posting in the moderated Federal Employee Benefits Q&A forum to see if Ed Zurndorfer has a more authoritative answer.

Edited by user Sunday, November 25, 2018 6:38:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.469 seconds.