Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smithandjones  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 9:10:42 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

In order to advance I have to apply to internal job announcements. I currently have 3 applications pending. One has indicated a formal offer is forthcoming. I would love to have the option to choose from the 3. But am happy to accept any of them. I guess it is a good problem to have. I’ve interviewed for one of the other positions and I’m not confident but still hopeful they may want to hire me. The 3D one is out there and I don’t think they have to interview. Is there any good way to handle this other than being honest with the deciders that i would like offers from all 3 so I can decide? I just don’t want to lose an opportunity because some deciders are quicker than others.

Also, each of these new positions require moving so accepting one and then a month later another is not what I’m looking for.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 9:45:17 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 851 time(s) in 673 post(s)
Originally Posted by: smithandjones Go to Quoted Post
In order to advance I have to apply to internal job announcements. I currently have 3 applications pending. One has indicated a formal offer is forthcoming. I would love to have the option to choose from the 3. But am happy to accept any of them. I guess it is a good problem to have. I’ve interviewed for one of the other positions and I’m not confident but still hopeful they may want to hire me. The 3D one is out there and I don’t think they have to interview. Is there any good way to handle this other than being honest with the deciders that i would like offers from all 3 so I can decide? I just don’t want to lose an opportunity because some deciders are quicker than others.

Also, each of these new positions require moving so accepting one and then a month later another is not what I’m looking for.

Be very careful you don't talk yourself out of an offer. Having multiple offers is nice (been there), and if the one you really want hasn't decided yet, calling them to let them know you have other offers, but would say yes to them IF it comes in the next day or two is usually not a problem (just don't say who the other offers are from!!)

The end of the day, you have to decide which is best for you. If each one takes too long, you may miss out on the one you already have in the hand. simply by trying to wait for the others to arrive...and they may not arrive any way.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
FrankJr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 11:25:03 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: smithandjones Go to Quoted Post

A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush.

A no to one may be a no to all. Management do communicate. Management may hesitate to hire an individual continually looking for greener pastures.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 11:49:30 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 851 time(s) in 673 post(s)
Forgot to add...there are two offers Tentative/conditional and Final. Accept all the first type you like...until you are in the seat, you can change your mind (or until you move, especially if the agency is paying as you will have to pay it back!!). The Final offer with a start date is the one that matters. So..if job 1 gives a tentative offer, you can accept and while waiting for the final offer, job 2 tentative offer arrives. You accept that one....while waiting for job 3's tentative offer to come, Job 2 comes with a final offer and a start date. NOW you have to make a real decision.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
GWPDA on 11/27/2018(UTC)
smithandjones  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 11:36:23 AM(UTC)

Thank you both for your answers. It is difficult to navigate not knowing what others are thinking/doing. And you’re right, I have to assume they are each aware I may be talking with the others. But I have faith this will work out. Even better is that I’m not in a bad spot now so what could go wrong! Lol.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed