Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
codreamin  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2018 8:46:04 AM(UTC)
codreamin

Groups: Registered

I have stepped out of my comfort zone, and applied for a supervisor position.
I do have the experience, and have unofficially supervised for years, but this is different to me.
I was referred and have an upcoming interview.
I reached out to the hiring manager and asked about the pbi level they would be basing the interview on. The problem is I'm freezing up here. :!
I have good answers I'm sure, but I can't think of them.
Help!? I really want this job.
FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2018 10:10:27 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: codreamin Go to Quoted Post
I have stepped out of my comfort zone, and applied for a supervisor position.
I do have the experience, and have unofficially supervised for years, but this is different to me.
I was referred and have an upcoming interview.
I reached out to the hiring manager and asked about the pbi level they would be basing the interview on. The problem is I'm freezing up here. :!
I have good answers I'm sure, but I can't think of them.
Help!? I really want this job.

https://www.va.gov/pbi/

http://www.idemployee.id...erg/jobs/STAR-method.pdf

A little less "I" and a little more "we".

Answer all of the sample questions on the quoted site. No good reason not to arrive at the interview with and answers to the questions in advance.

thanks 1 user thanked FrankJr for this useful post.
codreamin on 11/30/2018(UTC)
codreamin  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2018 2:52:04 PM(UTC)
codreamin

Thank you very much for the links.
codreamin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2018 4:17:45 AM(UTC)
codreamin

I forgot to mention, I have been interviewed and not selected twice by the same dept. For entry level positions. Is it common to be called back a third time for a third interview?
nembamike  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 2:41:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 174 post(s)
I forgot to mention, I have been interviewed and not selected twice by the same dept. For entry level positions. Is it common to be called back a third time for a third interview?

My experience is no. My thoughts are either 1) you and at least one other candidate are neck and neck, and/or 2) its for higher up management to become involved. Good luck!
FrankJr  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 9:24:25 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 83 post(s)

Clarify please. Three jobs and three interviews? One job and three interviews? The organization may have a policy to interview qualified internal candidates, viable candidate or not.
codreamin  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 12:39:27 PM(UTC)
codreamin

So I have had two separate interviews the last year for the same position(entry level)
Then this interview is the third for a Supervisor position.
codreamin  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 5:13:45 AM(UTC)
codreamin

Let me clear this up. Ok, I the department had two positions posted, one for a supervisor and one for entry level. I applied for both. I wasn't sure I qualified for the supervisor but I do have a ton of experience so I thought what the heck. I was referred. 😃 I have interviewed for two other positions of entry level for the same dept. Twice now. And it was a no go both times. (same hiring manager,same place).
I reached out to the hiring manager the last time to see how I could improve. And see if they recommended me to apply again. They told me to definitely apply again and my level of experience would give me another shot for sure.
So I did. (ie. The supervisor and entry level)
Now after the supervisor interview, I asked smart questions, and also asked if I could tell them why they should hire me (lol).
I was given a definite date by when they would have a decision, not just by the end of the week like last two times.
I was also asked if I was wanting to interview for the entry level opening still? I told them I was more interested in the supervisor position but wouldn't mind interviewing for the other. Was that a bad answer? They haven't called to schedule the other yet like they said they would.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed