Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ready2moveon  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2018 8:18:51 PM(UTC)
ready2moveon

Groups: Registered

I applied to a job requiring security clearance having misused drugs within several months. I thought for sure I was screwed. I did not take into account the snail's pace of government bureaucracy however, and now I'm just shy of a year since my last drug use and still haven't been interviewed. I know time is a mitigating factor, but will time be at the point of paperwork or the point at which I am interviewed?
Porgy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2018 6:18:02 AM(UTC)
Porgy

United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I was told that it’s the date that you submit the job application, which is why they ask the “in the last 12 months...” questions, though if you use drugs after you submit the app, then you’re just as screwed.
BackGdInvestigator  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2018 2:50:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 83 time(s) in 71 post(s)
The reporting period is from the day you physically or electronically sign your questionnaire.

Time is not the only mitigation factor for drug use. Not using illegal drugs or misusing prescription drugs is not automatically forgiven at twelve months, just as admitting to using marijuana in the last twelve months is not an instant disqualifier.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
calirain  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 3:18:09 PM(UTC)
calirain

I have a similar question although mine isn't for drug use. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I believe the answer to my question will also help the OP.

Does the adjudicator look at the date from the Equip and compare it to the date of something negative or will they look at the current date?

For example, say you have something negative in your past and you are hoping that time will help mitigate it. Will the adjudicator take into account the time that has past from the negative event until now (or whenever they are making their decision)?
FrankJr  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2018 12:29:24 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: calirain Go to Quoted Post
I have a similar question although mine isn't for drug use. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I believe the answer to my question will also help the OP.

Does the adjudicator look at the date from the Equip and compare it to the date of something negative or will they look at the current date?

For example, say you have something negative in your past and you are hoping that time will help mitigate it. Will the adjudicator take into account the time that has past from the negative event until now (or whenever they are making their decision)?

The offending behavior does not have an expiration date. Drug tests are random for a reason.
calirain  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2018 8:36:40 PM(UTC)
calirain

Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

The offending behavior does not have an expiration date. Drug tests are random for a reason.

So like I said, mine isn't about drugs.

I was asking if time as a Mitigation factor is calculated when the adjudicator looks at the case or the date of the Equip being submitted.
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2018 4:28:59 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 912 time(s) in 720 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

So like I said, mine isn't about drugs.

I was asking if time as a Mitigation factor is calculated when the adjudicator looks at the case or the date of the Equip being submitted.
Yes. They look at both.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed