Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kube76  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2018 1:22:48 PM(UTC)
kube76

Groups: Registered
United States

What scenarios typically dictate which plan is better between the GEHA Standard and GEHA HDHP plan? I'm evaluating things after receiving a CJO to determine what the benefits will be. These two seem pretty popular, but was curious as to why one would be better than the other.

My situation would be a family with two small kids who are in the doctor often for various daycare sourced sicknesses. One may need an outpatient surgery in a year or two. I've hit the max out of the pocket 3 out of the last 4 years (child births, and one unexpected surgery for my wife).
Sante123  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2018 10:26:06 PM(UTC)
Sante123

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Can you contribute close to $7000 per year to the HSA account? Are you in a relatively high tax bracket? If yes to both, then the HDHP plan is your best bet. If not, and you are looking for predicatble copays for frequent diagnostic doctor visits, then GEHA Standard is an easy to understand plan that will probably meet your needs. Aside from all that, keep in mind that the traditional insurance part of the HDHP plan has very low coinsurance rates and a lower catastrophic max limit. This means it will take quite a lot of bills to reach the max, and the max, when/if you do reach it, will not be exorbitant.
RickBinABQ  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:39:50 AM(UTC)
RickBinABQ

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I am leaning toward the GEHA HDHP myself. We are not high income, but I really like the idea of the HSA vs an HRA. Our kids are grownadults on their own, and neither of us use any rx, so that is what we are looking at.

We will get $1800/yr for the both of us directly from GEHA, which makes the net deductible $1200/yr for 2. Free preventative dental and basic vision means no need for FEDVIP.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed