Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dbrow1014  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 2:55:33 AM(UTC)
dbrow1014

Groups: Registered

I have been working in my current position (GS-11) since early 2017, a little under two years. Before that, I worked for about a year and three months as a DB-02 before resigning. I was maybe unemployed for about 4 months when I got my tentative offer from my current employer, a month later I got my final offer and EOD was early 2017.

I've done a little research about annual leave accrual rates and I wanted to know if the year and three months should be counted as creditable service. After reading this documentation: https://www.opm.gov/poli...onnel-actions/gppa06.pdf I am under the impression that it should.

Upon onboarding, I did note that I had prior federal service on the SF-144 and listed the dates on my resume. I contacted HR a few weeks ago and she said that she would have to do research and that she didn't think I qualified since I had a break in service. I haven't heard back.

If I'm correct, should I forward her the documentation above or is there something else that I should refer to to inform her what qualifies as creditable service?
GWPDA  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 6:32:11 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 435 time(s) in 365 post(s)
I worked in a term position for 2.5 years and then as a career conditional for another year. I left the service and did not return for 8 years or so. I then worked for a year as a term and was sequestered, not returning to the service for three more years. I've now been back in federal service for just on three years as a career conditional and a term. When I returned this last time, all these bits and pieces were gathered up into one lump and my SCD was adjusted to include the entire service, as tho it had all been worked as a single block of time. Your time needs to be adjusted similarly, and your annual leave should be earned at 6 hours a pay period. SCD has nothing to do with whether you had a break in service. You need to make sure that every SF50 showing your employment is contained in your eOPF - if any have been missed, you need to have your HR upload the missing documents. Once that file is complete, your SCD will be adjusted accordingly and your leave time will be calculated properly.

Edited by user Thursday, December 06, 2018 6:39:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
dbrow1014 on 12/6/2018(UTC)
dbrow1014  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 6:57:55 AM(UTC)
dbrow1014

Should HR have obtained my previous SF-50 or was I supposed to provide it? I didn't apply through USAJOBS where I know SF-50s are required when applying (it was an EHA if that matters). I met the deputy director at my grad school fair and gave him my resume and it took off from there.

Do I need to contact my old job's HR to get the SF-50 or National Archives and Records Administration? I'm a bit confused because I'm reading that current federal employees should contact HR for access to their records - are they referring to my current HR or my old job's HR?
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 1:07:09 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 435 time(s) in 365 post(s)
When you're told that you should 'contact HR for access' you're actually being told how to gain access to your eOPF. Once you have that link - which your HR can provide - you can check your eOPF for yourself to determine whether all the forms have been uploaded there as they should be. If any are missing, then you will need to provide the missing ones to your current HR who will them upload them to the eOPF. The way things stand now, only information in the eOPF is used to calculate benefits and time. If it isn't in the eOPF then it doesn't exist. It is your responsibility to ensure that everything that should be there is there. That's why you should always keep a hard copy of every scrap of paper generated during your Federal service.
thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
dbrow1014 on 12/7/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed