Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
&nonymous  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 7:34:44 AM(UTC)
&nonymous

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hello friends, I am a FERS DR retiree. Hired in 1998, retired 2015, age under 40. I am currently receiving my FERS DR check and being pressured to apply for SSD (because my spouse believes I will get much more income because my spouse doesn't believe me when I say my FERS DR check will be reduced if I am successful in receiving SSD). I am on SSA website under "Calculators" can someone please assist me in choosing the correct calculator which will show the amount of FERS DR money I will receive if a am successful in applying for SSD.
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2018 11:36:11 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 255 time(s) in 218 post(s)
Originally Posted by: & Go to Quoted Post
Hello friends, I am a FERS DR retiree. Hired in 1998, retired 2015, age under 40. I am currently receiving my FERS DR check and being pressured to apply for SSD (because my spouse believes I will get much more income because my spouse doesn't believe me when I say my FERS DR check will be reduced if I am successful in receiving SSD). I am on SSA website under "Calculators" can someone please assist me in choosing the correct calculator which will show the amount of FERS DR money I will receive if a am successful in applying for SSD.

You applied for SSDI when you filed for OPM D.R. You can re apply (took me 3 years for a hearing), however if approved there would be a 40% SSDI offset applied to the OPM D.R. Your wife can look up all OPM Disability rules and regulations in the handbook!

https://www.opm.gov/reti...forms/csrsfers-handbook/

Frogger  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 1:23:01 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 95 post(s)
That was the point of WEP Windfall Elimination Provision. To ensure Disabled Federal Retirees stayed poor.
gembarok  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 3:49:33 PM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Originally Posted by: & Go to Quoted Post

Greetings,

Short answer... NO. There is no SSA Calculator that does that. SSA doesn't care about FERS. What you can do is set up your SSA online account and look at your Annual Benefits Summary. It has an estimate of what your SSDI would be if you were approved. It is pretty accurate. Then you can do FERS DR Math. Since you are out of the first year window, you would use your 40% high three - 60% SSDI formula. Unless you qualify for the earned annuity. Then there is no reduction.

I never understood the logic behind not applying for SSDI if you aren't working. The only advantage is the 80% income IF you get a job. So many people fall into the trap that they Never do go back to work. Regardless, SSDI gives you that 5 month buffer if you decide to work again, another trial period to turn benefits back on, (I think it is 12 months), and it stops all those 0's being added to your account for years you didn't work... and for you under 40... that is a lot of 0's.

SO... in the big scheme of things...the overall package... your wife is correct.

S/
K
Frogger  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2018 5:54:34 PM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 95 post(s)
That is a good point, not to mention any child benefits you may be eligible for.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed