Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rodge45  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:30:54 AM(UTC)
Rodge45

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi,

I was hired as a GS-9 in a GS 9-12 position at DHS in Dec 2017.

I just finished my 12 month probation period.

When hired, I was told that I would be promoted to GS 11 after finishing my 12 month probation period at DHS.

Last month, my supervisor told me that I was not ready to be promoted and they were going to withhold promotion for an extra 45 days.

My question is can they go beyond the 45 days?

What should I do?

Thanks for guidance.

DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:55:44 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Yes, they can go beyond 45 days. There is no requirement that you be promoted at all. Your first step should be to talk to your supervisor about the areas he thinks you need to improve, then work to improve those areas.
TheRealOrange  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:11:50 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rodge45 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I was hired as a GS-9 in a GS 9-12 position at DHS in Dec 2017.

I just finished my 12 month probation period.

When hired, I was told that I would be promoted to GS 11 after finishing my 12 month probation period at DHS.

Last month, my supervisor told me that I was not ready to be promoted and they were going to withhold promotion for an extra 45 days.

My question is can they go beyond the 45 days?

What should I do?

Thanks for guidance.

Did your supervisor give you any reasoning other than you weren't ready? That is, did he/she explain to you why you weren't ready? You will likely be advised by others here that employees in career ladders do not have an automatic entitlement to career ladder promotions, and that is true. But, supervisors also do not have absolute authority or discretion to withhold career ladder promotions. Your supervisor should be able to articulate exactly why you were deemed "not ready." Also, are you in a bargaining unit? If so, decisions not to promote generally may be grieved under negotiated grievance procedures. If a decision is made not to promote an employee in a career ladder, the rationale for the decision should be well documented by the supervisor. If you are not in a bargaining unit, your agency likely has a policy regarding career ladder promotions, so you should try to find it. In many agencies, employees in career ladder positions will be promoted on the first pay period after having met the minimum qualification requirements for promotion to the next grade in the career ladder, but only when they have demonstrated the ability to perform at the higher grade, and there is enough higher-graded work to be performed. That's why your supervisor's reasoning is key. It appears that he/she is indicating that you you have not yet demonstrated the ability to perform at the higher grade. Perhaps you are performing well on tasks at your current grade level but have not had the opportunity to perform at the next higher grade. I doubt your supervisor would have used the "not ready" language in an instance where there was not sufficient higher-graded work available to be performed. If you are not comfortable speaking again to your supervisor, I suggest finding the agency policy and going from there. Perhaps the 45-day extension prior to promotion is within the agency policy. Only after understanding the agency policy would I suggest filing a grievance, EEO complaint, etc. If you are in a bargaining unit, it wouldn't hurt to seek the guidance of the union to help you understand the policy and your rights.
DroneBee  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 8:29:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post
If you are not comfortable speaking again to your supervisor, I suggest finding the agency policy and going from there. Perhaps the 45-day extension prior to promotion is within the agency policy. Only after understanding the agency policy would I suggest filing a grievance, EEO complaint, etc. If you are in a bargaining unit, it wouldn't hurt to seek the guidance of the union to help you understand the policy and your rights.

NEVER submit an EEO or Union complaint! You will be deemed a troublemaker and, if you are still on probation, shown the door.

Ask your supervisor to be your mentor. Butter up to him/her. Thank him/her for his/her leadership. The goal is the promotion - do whatever it takes to get that promotion! Either way - either you don't get the promotion or do get the promotion, start applying for new jobs. That supervisor doesn't like you or else you would have been promoted - it's all up to the supervisor.
FedCivServ  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:36:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 138 post(s)
That’s ridiculous...do you really think every manager is that juvenile just because of your own bad experience?? Chances are there is a reason why the supervisor is withholding promotion and the employee absolutely needs to find out what to do to become ready. The supervisor has an professional obligation to ensure an employee who is on a ladder position is ready for the next level of work. Automatically assuming that the reason the employee didn’t get promoted is because the boss doesn’t like him or her means you are advising them to not take any active role or responsibility in managing their own career which could make some of the negative things you speak of a lot become reality...
nightchop  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 7:43:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DroneBee Go to Quoted Post
Ask your supervisor to be your mentor. Butter up to him/her. Thank him/her for his/her leadership. The goal is the promotion - do whatever it takes to get that promotion!

OP, please have some self respect and do not take this advice. Promote yourself by finding a new job. The energy you spend ingratiating yourself to someone who might just be a power tripper can be better spent finding a position with a management team that's a better fit for you. You'll get a lot of "career ladder promotions are not automatic" but really, unless you are just slow, it shouldn't be that difficult to progress through a career ladder. They are not designed to make you "compete" or beg for each promotion. Getting hired shows you have the ability to do the job.

Don't play this "carrot on a stick" game. Find a better job.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed