Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BatDog123  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:48:42 AM(UTC)
BatDog123

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
About 6-7 years ago, I was put on a generic prozac by my primary doctor, at the request of my mother. I was just in a unhappy place living at home (family related grief), and kinda let her just handle things. I don't know why I agreed to go on it, but whatever. I was on the meds for a year, and then quit them because I hated how they made me feel.

I was never formally diagnosed by a psychiatrist, never did counseling, never was treated. Just put on these meds by my regular doctor when my mother asked her if they had something to "make me feel better and happier".

Is this something that I need to put on the eQIP under the mental health section? I know the rule of thumb is to share everything, so I have requested the dates I was on this medication from my doctors office, but since there was never any formal treatment or diagnoses, is it something I can just ignore?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 11:26:58 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 865 time(s) in 684 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BatDog123 Go to Quoted Post
About 6-7 years ago, I was put on a generic prozac by my primary doctor, at the request of my mother. I was just in a unhappy place living at home (family related grief), and kinda let her just handle things. I don't know why I agreed to go on it, but whatever. I was on the meds for a year, and then quit them because I hated how they made me feel.

I was never formally diagnosed by a psychiatrist, never did counseling, never was treated. Just put on these meds by my regular doctor when my mother asked her if they had something to "make me feel better and happier".

Is this something that I need to put on the eQIP under the mental health section? I know the rule of thumb is to share everything, so I have requested the dates I was on this medication from my doctors office, but since there was never any formal treatment or diagnoses, is it something I can just ignore?
There was formal treatment (how else did you get the drugs?) as you received a prescription from a doctor. Therefore there is something in your medical record justifying the prescription.

Your lack of ownership of this issue will not help you in mitigating this if it turns out to be a concern.

It sounds like you had some issues with situational depression, your Primary Care doctor prescribe Prozac, you then no longer needed it as the side effects were worse than the issue you now had a year later (initial issue the meds helps as they were better than the issue at hand. Once improvement occurred, the side effects are now noticed, causing you to cease the medication and no longer needing it).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
BatDog123  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:08:48 PM(UTC)
BatDog123

United States

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

There was formal treatment (how else did you get the drugs?) as you received a prescription from a doctor. Therefore there is something in your medical record justifying the prescription.

Quote:
Your lack of ownership of this issue will not help you in mitigating this if it turns out to be a concern.

I definitely don't want to omit anything on my forms, which is why I wanted to check here. I requested the medical history and drug information from my doctors office two days ago, but sometimes I have a tendency to over-share, and didn't know if this was just an oversharing case. It seems from your response, it is a legitimate thing I need to worry about adding to my forms.

Quote:
It sounds like you had some issues with situational depression, your Primary Care doctor prescribe Prozac, you then no longer needed it as the side effects were worse than the issue you now had a year later (initial issue the meds helps as they were better than the issue at hand. Once improvement occurred, the side effects are now noticed, causing you to cease the medication and no longer needing it).

I havent been on this medication in 6 years, so that is why I wanted to make sure I have my whole situation prepared and ready for when I begin the eQIP.

On the eQIP it says "In the last seven (7) years, have you consulted with a health care professional regarding an
emotional or mental health condition or were you hospitalized for such a condition? Answer 'No' if
the counseling was for any of the following reasons and was not court-ordered:
- strictly marital, family, grief not related to violence by you; or"

Since this is all family related, I assume I would check no? This is the area I am confused slightly about. If I check no, I won't have to list any of this information then, from what I read. Is that false?

Edited by user Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:09:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Warehouse Guy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 2:43:18 PM(UTC)
Warehouse Guy

United States

So that bit about strictly marital,family ect is about counseling. Your situation is not related to counseling as you were prescribed a medication(without counseling). You shouldn't worry to much about it in my opinion) they might ask a question about it but just be honest about the situation. Minor mental health situations like yours are fairly common I would think.
BatDog123  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 3:09:47 PM(UTC)
BatDog123

United States

Originally Posted by: Warehouse Guy Go to Quoted Post
So that bit about strictly marital,family ect is about counseling. Your situation is not related to counseling as you were prescribed a medication(without counseling). You shouldn't worry to much about it in my opinion) they might ask a question about it but just be honest about the situation. Minor mental health situations like yours are fairly common I would think.

Thank you! This is what I was wondering. I am more than happy to share the info with them, but I didn't think it was applicable.

Exit7A  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 7:16:55 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 140 time(s) in 119 post(s)

Curious about "at the request of my mother" part...where you a minor at the time?
That's all I got to say about that.
FatHappyCat  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:40:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I know the rule of thumb is to share everything...

Actually the rule of thumb is to answered what is asked. If they have further questions later about a reply, they will ask them.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
BatDog123 on 12/17/2018(UTC)
Porgy  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 6:42:52 AM(UTC)
Porgy

Man
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)

Check with your doctor to see if they have a diagnosis code on your file for any mental health issues. Usually (but not always) doctors will have had given you a diagnosis in order to give you medication because of insurance.

See if you can get a letter from your doctor at the time describing the following (because unless things have changed since the last time I applied to where you were applying [~8yrs ago] they will ask you similar questions about this during your psych eval and ask you to forward them a write-up). If they can't give you that info, have them give you something in writing saying that they can't tell you that info.
1. Reason for treatment
2. Mental Health Diagnoses (if applicable)
3. Prognosis at time of treatment termination
4. Reason for termination of treatment
5. Were there any issues such as homicidal/suicidal ideation and/or ego mastery issues
Rss Feed  Atom Feed