Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hibrian1  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2018 10:45:40 AM(UTC)
hibrian1

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi,
I just filled security clearance SF-86 for secret level security clearance. On the employment section, I clearly mentioned as "fired" from one of my previous employer 4 months ago. On the termination letter it is clearly mentioned that the I was terminated because of lack of performance. I put the same information SF-86. Now, I got the reference check service to check my references listed on the SF-86. The employer who terminated me wrote they found some work arrangement on my computer after I left which was against the company policy. They also mentioned, I am not eligible for rehire. I have no clue about this. I tried to reach them out but never heard anything from them.

What is the impact of this on me getting final clearance? what shall I do to resolve this? I would appreciate your quick response.

FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2018 2:54:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 86 post(s)
There's nothing you can or should do as this point. While candor is expected in filling out an SF86, it's not there for you to spill out everything and try to explain it away. You only answer what is asked no more and no less. Here is how the question is phrased:

For this employment have any of the following happened to you in the last seven (7) years?
• Fired
• Quit after being told you would be fired
• Left by mutual agreement following charges or allegations of misconduct
• Left by mutual agreement following notice of unsatisfactory performance

It's a simple yes or no. The reason they don't ask you why is because #1 you're obviosuly biased in your own position and #2 there are always multiple sides to every situations. If they have questions, they will ask you when they are ready. Trying to 'get-ahead' more often than not backfires and opens up a new can of worms.

What will happen is if they deny you a clearance is they will lay it out in a statment of reason (SOR) and tell you why you were denied. If it comes back that the reason you were denied is because of this firing, that is the time to rebutt and show whatever evidence you have.
FrankJr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 11:04:03 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hibrian1 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I just filled security clearance SF-86 for secret level security clearance. On the employment section, I clearly mentioned as "fired" from one of my previous employer 4 months ago. On the termination letter it is clearly mentioned that the I was terminated because of lack of performance. I put the same information SF-86. Now, I got the reference check service to check my references listed on the SF-86. The employer who terminated me wrote they found some work arrangement on my computer after I left which was against the company policy. They also mentioned, I am not eligible for rehire. I have no clue about this. I tried to reach them out but never heard anything from them.

What is the impact of this on me getting final clearance? what shall I do to resolve this? I would appreciate your quick response.

Odd at best. As a rule prior employers should confirm employment, dates of employment and rehire yes/no. Frankly I would avoid a "reference check service". No method to determine if the information provided by the service is actually the information provided by the employer.

As noted, do nothing.
Warehouse Guy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2018 12:46:02 PM(UTC)
Warehouse Guy

United States

So were you doing business with the company computer that was against their policy? Because honestly most companies follow the golden rule, Only mention things you have a communication paper trail for i.e. if you think the guy was always late but never wrote him up for it you just say nothing. Protects the company from libel cases.
someoldguy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2018 1:27:42 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 831 time(s) in 690 post(s)
What is a "reference check service?"

I agree with the other folks who say it is odd that the employer shared so much info.

If the background investigator finds out about this, they will most likely want to discuss it with you to get your side of the story. This is not the first time that I've heard of someone getting terminated and later finding out that the company claimed they were up to something. There are two sides to every story and hopefully you will get a chance to tell yours.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
FrankJr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:16:26 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
What is a "reference check service?"

I agree with the other folks who say it is odd that the employer shared so much info.

If the background investigator finds out about this, they will most likely want to discuss it with you to get your side of the story. This is not the first time that I've heard of someone getting terminated and later finding out that the company claimed they were up to something. There are two sides to every story and hopefully you will get a chance to tell yours.

Most states require the home seller to disclose "known defects". Realtors do not recommend a seller initiated inspection prior to listing the home to limit the "known defects". The noted reference check services complicates matters, at best.

quoted from elsewhere,

An experienced member of our staff conducts all of our job reference checking service/ employment verification interviews via phone, unless required to be done in writing by the client or reference. All professional reference checking report levels will include the following, depending on corporate policy*:

Employment verification and verification of dates of employment
Employment Verification of position title held
Eligibility status for rehire
Reason for separation
Recommendation for another position / role

Edited by user Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:21:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

someoldguy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:49:16 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 831 time(s) in 690 post(s)
I never heard of this so I did some googling and it really is a thing.

My last employer had a firm policy that HR would only verify dates of employment. Period. I don't know if they even verify salary. At least that's what HR told us :)

Even when the unemployment office contacted them, they would never challenge unemployment, even if the employee was terminated (not just laid off).

I wonder what all these other companies are doing? Aren't they concerned about liability? And I also have to wonder how reliable these "reference checking services" are.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed