Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stanny25  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:17:02 AM(UTC)
Stanny25

Groups: Registered
United States

I’m trying to figure out what the steps will be for a voluntary pay loss promotion for a better career path long term.

GS Grade 8 Step 8 (capped grade)
To
GS Grade 5 Step 10 (5-7-9-11 grade)

Pay loss is about 10k and using Bay area law enforcement pay charts.

Because I voluntarily took this pay loss, I will not be a 7-10 (still not caught up to my original 8-8 pay) next year? Also, are the yearly grade increases 2 step increases instead of 1?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:42:42 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Stanny25 Go to Quoted Post
I’m trying to figure out what the steps will be for a voluntary pay loss promotion for a better career path long term.

GS Grade 8 Step 8 (capped grade)
To
GS Grade 5 Step 10 (5-7-9-11 grade)

Pay loss is about 10k and using Bay area law enforcement pay charts.

Because I voluntarily took this pay loss, I will not be a 7-10 (still not caught up to my original 8-8 pay) next year? Also, are the yearly grade increases 2 step increases instead of 1?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is just a guess on my part, but using only the current pay scale, applying the two-step rule, and assuming promotions (grade increases) at one-year intervals, I believe you would go from GS-5/10 to GS-7/6 to GS-9/4 to GS-11/1. I get that from the following:

GS-5/10 = 61819 and each step is 1344. Two steps = 2688. 61819+2688=64507. The first GS-7 step that meets or exceeds that amount is step 6, 64917.
GS-7/6 at 64917. Two steps, step 8 = 68246. The first GS-9 step that meets or exceeds that amount is step 4, 69229.
GS-9/4 at 69229. Two steps, step 6 = 73302. The first GS-11 step that meets or exceeds that amount is step 1, 73905.

I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to correct my mistakes. ;-)
HR Bubba  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 3:45:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 193 post(s)
Great example from orange! In my agency, when an employee takes a downgrade into a career ladder position that has more promotion potential than the position that they are leaving (describes your situation) we have the option of putting them on retained pay. Using the current base pay chart here is how pay would be set upon initial placement and upon promotion:

GS-05 = retained pay at GS-08 step 8 equivalent ($48,975)
GS-07 = retained pay at GS-08 step 8 equivalent ($48.975)
GS-09 = Step 5 ($49,705)
GS-11 = Step 1 (Two step promotion rule) ($53,062)

While there is really no gain in salary for the first couple of years, the benefit is that there is no loss. Agencies are not "required" to authorize retained pay in this situation, but may authorize at their discretion.

Stanny25  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 7:06:50 AM(UTC)
Stanny25

United States

Thank you both for your time and help. I’ve already taken the 10k hit for the promotion and while it hurts, the long term gains are obviously worth it.

I was under the impression that I had a reduction in pay because of the GS-5 step 10 cap. So I thought the first year was a 10k loss. The following year I thought I would then be a GS-7 step 10 because the pay was still just slightly under the GS-8 step 8 pay by roughly 1k or less. Essentially thinking it would take me only a year rather than 2 years to get back to where I was according to the examples provided. A little discouraging but I will have to manage. 3 years until I see any subsequent gains seems far out. I need to be better informed, I’m still thankful and grateful for the career ladder promotion.
birdonamission  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 5:42:50 PM(UTC)
birdonamission

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Stanny25 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you both for your time and help. I’ve already taken the 10k hit for the promotion and while it hurts, the long term gains are obviously worth it.

I was under the impression that I had a reduction in pay because of the GS-5 step 10 cap. So I thought the first year was a 10k loss. The following year I thought I would then be a GS-7 step 10 because the pay was still just slightly under the GS-8 step 8 pay by roughly 1k or less. Essentially thinking it would take me only a year rather than 2 years to get back to where I was according to the examples provided. A little discouraging but I will have to manage. 3 years until I see any subsequent gains seems far out. I need to be better informed, I’m still thankful and grateful for the career ladder promotion.

First, "Voluntary Pay Loss Promotion" is a confusing way to describe what happened. :) Going from GS-8 to GS-5 is not a promotion, although I understand you're saying you now have a path to GS-11 when, before, you were stuck at GS-8 with no promotion potential.

Just remember, going up the ladder is NOT guaranteed or at least it may not happen at the one year anniversary automatically. Several things can impact going up to the next grade, which is solely at the supervisor's discretion (i.e. available funds; readiness to perform at the higher grade; change in office functions; etc.).

Can't really speak to what your exact pay will be as you go into the next grade, specifically pay retention...but I thought the 2-step rule applies to promotions, even in a ladder position. The gurus might chime in, hopefully.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed