Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<1617181920>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Imthatgirl  
#341 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:14:21 AM(UTC)
Imthatgirl

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Imthatgirl Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: dmellow Go to Quoted Post
I don't think the union gets credit for all that it does, much of it behind the scenes. It reminds me of people saying there are too many federal workers and they are paid too much. It's only when they don't get their refunds or transcript for financial aid that our value is seen. Sometimes, I get a call from someone saying they have been on hold along time or have been calling for days. If their complaining becomes particularly annoying I'll say "This is what smaller government looks like. It's what people have asked for".

Be careful what you wish for! All that we have is not set in stone and can be eroded or taken away. Who will work to get our 2019 COLA that was signed away by our president? When will he sign for our back pay? Will we need to be back at work and for how long? What if they stagger the people or agencies coming back? What if Rush Limbaugh doesn't want him to sign it? What if a state of emergency is declared? It will be the union, on our behalf, putting pressure on him to sign it. That's on behalf of employees that don't support the union as well.

36 Reasons Why You Should Thank a Union

Weekends
All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
40 Hour Work Week
Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
Employer Health Care Insurance
Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
Wrongful Termination Laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Whistleblower Protection Laws
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday Pay
Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
Privacy Rights
Pregnancy and Parental Leave
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Public Education for Children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States

Nice, except Federal unions are basically toothless tigers. You can cross several of those items off that list. Bad enough that they are not allowed to strike (which is a last resort, but at least a real option in a real union) they roll over constantly

Just the fact that OT pay is capped at the GS 8 and above level is an outrage.When you reach steps 7 and above for GS 8 and steps 5 and above for GS 9. They refuse to challenge this and it is causing people to lose real money year after year

The OT is not capped for bargaining union employees. The difference is paid under FSLA.

I know that 5 U.S.C. 5542(a)(2)

I also know they throw up their hands and say they can do nothing about it, instead of fighting to change it.

So if the difference is made up via, FLSA and you are getting paid. What’s your argument or complaint?
chriswt25  
#342 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:48:38 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I don't think the union gets credit for all that it does, much of it behind the scenes. It reminds me of people saying there are too many federal workers and they are paid too much. It's only when they don't get their refunds or transcript for financial aid that our value is seen. Sometimes, I get a call from someone saying they have been on hold along time or have been calling for days. If their complaining becomes particularly annoying I'll say "This is what smaller government looks like. It's what people have asked for".

Be careful what you wish for! All that we have is not set in stone and can be eroded or taken away. Who will work to get our 2019 COLA that was signed away by our president? When will he sign for our back pay? Will we need to be back at work and for how long? What if they stagger the people or agencies coming back? What if Rush Limbaugh doesn't want him to sign it? What if a state of emergency is declared? It will be the union, on our behalf, putting pressure on him to sign it. That's on behalf of employees that don't support the union as well.

Weekends
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
40 Hour Work Week
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Holiday Pay
Privacy Rights
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)

Nice, except Federal unions are basically toothless tigers. You can cross several of those items off that list. Bad enough that they are not allowed to strike (which is a last resort, but at least a real option in a real union) they roll over constantly

Just the fact that OT pay is capped at the GS 8 and above level is an outrage.When you reach steps 7 and above for GS 8 and steps 5 and above for GS 9. They refuse to challenge this and it is causing people to lose real money year after year

The OT is not capped for bargaining union employees. The difference is paid under FSLA.

I also know they throw up their hands and say they can do nothing about it, instead of fighting to change it.

So if the difference is made up via, FLSA and you are getting paid. What’s your argument or complaint?

The problem is I am not getting paid. I am a Grade 8 step 9 and receive the same OT rate as a Grade 8 step 7

I know leads that are Grade 9 step 7 or 9 and get the same OT as Grade 9 step 5

It is capped

http://www.federaljobs.n...016_HOURLY_RATE_SCHEDULE

Maybe this FLSA thng makes some sort of an adjustment but if it does, nobody explains it and the NTEU certainly doesn't know a thing about it at my chapter. Their answer is "It is just the way it is" Another asinine, convoluted policy that makes things more difficult for the employee.

Edited by user Sunday, January 13, 2019 9:02:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dmellow  
#343 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 9:05:44 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)

Weekends
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
40 Hour Work Week
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Sexual Harassment Laws
Holiday Pay
Privacy Rights
Military Leave
The Right to Strike

My point was to say unions aren't legislators, but are there to influence the outcome of an issue. Most of those things above did not come because employers and the government willingly said we should have them. They were hard fought and still need to be protected. Some states have reduced how many weeks of unemployment you get. Some legislators want to eliminate pension plans and force us to pay more for retirement. Is that what you want? During this shutdown, we need all the advocates we can get to end this. If it takes filing lawsuits, working with congress or informing the public of our issues, then they should do it. Just because they can't force the government to change doesn't mean they have no influence.
chriswt25  
#344 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 9:43:29 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Weekends
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
40 Hour Work Week
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Sexual Harassment Laws
Holiday Pay
Privacy Rights
Military Leave
The Right to Strike

My point was to say unions aren't legislators, but are there to influence the outcome of an issue. Most of those things above did not come because employers and the government willingly said we should have them. They were hard fought and still need to be protected. Some states have reduced how many weeks of unemployment you get. Some legislators want to eliminate pension plans and force us to pay more for retirement. Is that what you want? During this shutdown, we need all the advocates we can get to end this. If it takes filing lawsuits, working with congress or informing the public of our issues, then they should do it. Just because they can't force the government to change doesn't mean they have no influence.

I am a member, but they are literally impotent.

Right now, they should be putting the heat on both sides of this issue to get their butts to negotiate a settlement and get us back to work, but they are so politically in bed with one of the groups (the one they support) that they are not representing us properly

Edited by user Sunday, January 13, 2019 9:55:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

govguy  
#345 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 10:50:13 AM(UTC)
govguy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I agree. I'm a member also. The Teamsters, now that is a union. I don't know what you call NTEU. They are more like a work friend you have to pay for.
thanks 1 user thanked govguy for this useful post.
Jimmy81 on 1/13/2019(UTC)
jaylakent  
#346 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 10:59:09 AM(UTC)
jaylakent

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I can't believe they are ready to call back 50% of IRS employees to "process refunds"? Oh I see those of us working without pay should make sure everyone else gets their money on time? :P My complaint is why isn't the union doing something about THAT??? I don't work in the service center or process refunds, but I'm annoyed that my fellow federal/IRS employees are indentured servants. Don't even get me started or making TSA, ATC, other entities work without pay. If the government were TRULY shutdown - no "excepted employees" or those considered "excepted" refused to work, this would end in about 6 hours. Making promises about "refunds going out timely" is the biggest bag of bologna to date.
thanks 1 user thanked jaylakent for this useful post.
Jimmy81 on 1/13/2019(UTC)
chriswt25  
#347 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 11:40:18 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: govguy Go to Quoted Post
I agree. I'm a member also. The Teamsters, now that is a union. I don't know what you call NTEU. They are more like a work friend you have to pay for.

LOL.
Jimmy81  
#348 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 12:06:13 PM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jaylakent Go to Quoted Post
I can't believe they are ready to call back 50% of IRS employees to "process refunds"? Oh I see those of us working without pay should make sure everyone else gets their money on time? :P My complaint is why isn't the union doing something about THAT??? I don't work in the service center or process refunds, but I'm annoyed that my fellow federal/IRS employees are indentured servants. Don't even get me started or making TSA, ATC, other entities work without pay. If the government were TRULY shutdown - no "excepted employees" or those considered "excepted" refused to work, this would end in about 6 hours. Making promises about "refunds going out timely" is the biggest bag of bologna to date.

The worst part is Exam will remained furloughed. So no one will be checking if the refunds are fraudulent.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#349 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 12:30:56 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Originally Posted by: govguy Go to Quoted Post

No, thank you. One guy at Cleveland has his parents living with him due to the Teamsters Central States Pension collapse. As much as we complain about TSP, the horror of the Central States Pension collapse wrecked many hopes of retiring.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#350 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 12:32:43 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jimmy81 Go to Quoted Post

The worst part is Exam will remained furloughed. So no one will be checking if the refunds are fraudulent.

Yet still no recall order, though. The Day 21 e-mail thought it could be this weekend. What if processing opens yet we're still not back?
Imthatgirl  
#351 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 12:40:03 PM(UTC)
Imthatgirl

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Weekends
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
40 Hour Work Week
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Sexual Harassment Laws
Holiday Pay
Privacy Rights
Military Leave
The Right to Strike

Right now, they should be putting the heat on both sides of this issue to get their butts to negotiate a settlement and get us back to work, but they are so politically in bed with one of the groups (the one they support) that they are not representing us properly

I am sorry you feel that way. I think most Unions in large, represent their members and do it well. I also believe that they negotiate where they have the ability to do that. Your judgements should be directed more to the lawmakers who can change this outcome. As a GS 08 employee, you should know that the FLSA, makes up for the compensation in OT pay. There is no cap for bargaining unit employees. A simple look at any of the E&L statements that you received in the past few years would have clarified this for you.
thanks 1 user thanked Imthatgirl for this useful post.
dmellow on 1/13/2019(UTC)
chriswt25  
#352 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 1:11:54 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Weekends
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
40 Hour Work Week
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Sexual Harassment Laws
Holiday Pay
Privacy Rights
Military Leave
The Right to Strike

I am sorry you feel that way. I think most Unions in large, represent their members and do it well. I also believe that they negotiate where they have the ability to do that. Your judgements should be directed more to the lawmakers who can change this outcome. As a GS 08 employee, you should know that the FLSA, makes up for the compensation in OT pay. There is no cap for bargaining unit employees. A simple look at any of the E&L statements that you received in the past few years would have clarified this for you.

I worked for 4 unions in my life, and only 1 of them really performed the functions they were meant to do.

Granted, this one has extremely limited power, so I expect them to fight tooth and nail in the areas that they can have influence. My personal experiences and many others I work with has been less then satisfactory due to their reluctance to deal with important issues presented to them. This goes from the local chapter up to national.

As usual. they have proven to be nothing more than hacks in this issue. This is not the time they should be making political points They should be holding the feet to the fire of the people on both sides of this shutdown. So once again I feel they are bringing nothing to the table to represent us properly.

I appreciate the FLSA info. I am guilty of not scrutinizing my pay stub since I do not live paycheck to paycheck. You were able to explain something to me that NTEU had no idea about it when I went to them about the OT chart. See what I mean?

Edited by user Sunday, January 13, 2019 1:28:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Massgone2015  
#353 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 1:27:59 PM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 51 post(s)

I would like to believe filters will not be ignored. The Exam freeze will go on the account. Those CP75 letters probably wouldn't be sent out until mid to late February. The responses will start rolling in sometime in March. Hopefully this will be over by then!
Jimmy81  
#354 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 3:33:26 PM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Originally Posted by: Massgone2015 Go to Quoted Post

I would like to believe filters will not be ignored. The Exam freeze will go on the account. Those CP75 letters probably wouldn't be sent out until mid to late February. The responses will start rolling in sometime in March. Hopefully this will be over by then!

Yes, but Exam also conducts visits to high-risk preparers and if needed, shuts them down. This season will be a free-for-all by shyster preparers. I already see the signs in my city promising huge refunds.
gardenia  
#355 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 7:21:37 PM(UTC)
gardenia

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
How is the TSA getting paid a bonus check
chriswt25  
#356 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 7:52:54 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: gardenia Go to Quoted Post
How is the TSA getting paid a bonus check

From the Twitter account of the TSA Administrator to his employees

David P. Pekoske

Verified account

@TSA_Pekoske
Jan 11

"I’m able to do this because of unique authorities provided TSA in law."

In other words "Please stop calling in sick"

Edited by user Sunday, January 13, 2019 7:55:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jimmy81  
#357 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 5:39:45 AM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Also IRS clerks who process mortgage income verification are getting paid by user fees. Lobbyists are quite effective in this admin.
Stoli  
#358 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 6:03:45 AM(UTC)
Stoli

My question is what if they call you back as an “excepted employee” but you are unable because of financial reasons. Due to the fact that you do not have the moneys to pay for childcare and gas. What are the employees options at this point?
chriswt25  
#359 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 6:11:09 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: Stoli Go to Quoted Post

My question is what if they call you back as an “excepted employee” but you are unable because of financial reasons. Due to the fact that you do not have the moneys to pay for childcare and gas. What are the employees options at this point?

You can tell them you have a hardship, but honestly it may fall on deaf ears.
IslesBSC  
#360 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 6:12:14 AM(UTC)
IslesBSC

United States

We don't really have an option once they call us back, we can say we have a hardship but most positive unless you can provide bank statements, landlord statements, receipts etc. You are not getting approved for hardship. Just going to have to work for free until this is over just like the TSA agents and others working for free right now
Rss Feed  Atom Feed