Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Red  
#361 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 7:08:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 27 post(s)
The public does not care much about the shut-down, in spite of media stories about furloughed workers sitting home waiting for a call back. Most of the public is not affected. I think it's a case of the boy who cried wolf. They saw past shut-downs where people were paid eventually, and some realize we don't get charged leave for the time off- basically a paid vacation. Meanwhile the Congress members are on vacation in Puerto Rico, (or Hawaii, as in Pelosi), and it has become an ego contest. Or, like LBJ, "mine is bigger than yours". The people working (Border Patrol, FBI, ICE, etc) are not the ones complaining to the press. If the union was effective, it would take out full page ads in the Washington papers explaining how irresponsible it is to issue refunds without safeguards. And urge both sides to negotiate. But the union does not vote; citizens do. I called my senators and Congressman and urged them to compromise.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Massgone2015 on 1/14/2019(UTC)
Hired 2015  
#362 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 7:28:25 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I polished my resume and have been applying for other jobs. Need to a paycheck to survive.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#363 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 9:14:58 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
I polished my resume and have been applying for other jobs. Need to a paycheck to survive.

I broke down and put in applications with KBR & Academi last night. Raytheon had some things open but the job postings were a little too vague as to what exactly the positions would be doing. Working for a mercenary firm doesn't sound too bad.
Hired 2015  
#364 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 11:07:57 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

I would get a job right away except for the possible conflict. I got 48 job referrals and 47 require signing SB related returns. Last job was for CDL driver so maybe I will learn how to drive truck.

Massgone2015  
#365 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 1:36:37 PM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Red Go to Quoted Post
The public does not care much about the shut-down, in spite of media stories about furloughed workers sitting home waiting for a call back. Most of the public is not affected. I think it's a case of the boy who cried wolf. They saw past shut-downs where people were paid eventually, and some realize we don't get charged leave for the time off- basically a paid vacation. Meanwhile the Congress members are on vacation in Puerto Rico, (or Hawaii, as in Pelosi), and it has become an ego contest. Or, like LBJ, "mine is bigger than yours". The people working (Border Patrol, FBI, ICE, etc) are not the ones complaining to the press. If the union was effective, it would take out full page ads in the Washington papers explaining how irresponsible it is to issue refunds without safeguards. And urge both sides to negotiate. But the union does not vote; citizens do. I called my senators and Congressman and urged them to compromise.

Agreed. The comment sections of my local online news outlets are full of nasty comments about federal employees. Most people I know (not including co-workers) are not affected by this shutdown. The union wants us to venture over to the State House this week to protest. A lot of good that's going to do. As long as airplanes are flying (safely) and tax refunds are flowing, I don't see an end to this. In fact, according to one of the online "tax refund" forums, people are already filing, they are receiving notice the IRS has accepted the return and WMR shows it's processing.
dmellow  
#366 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 1:59:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
It appears to me now that this shutdown could continue into February or beyond. This forum is a good way to share some of your backup plan that may help others. Whether you are holding out for the end of the shutdown or looking for another job, you won't get a paycheck for at least 2 to 4 weeks once you are working. These are some of my thoughts:

⦁ If you have not been called back to work, file for unemployment today. Many states will allow you to file if you are not working. If you get called back, you are considered employed and not eligible. You should able to get the last 2 to 3 weeks. Even if it comes when we are back at work, it may tide you over until we get our back pay and you can pay it back. This is especially important if we come back with no pay.

⦁ Take a loan from your TSP account. I called them to check and they said we are considered furloughed and need to have at least $1,000 of your own money in your account. You will not be eligible to take out a loan after 30 days. She said people are applying left and right.

From the TSP fact sheet: Can I take a TSP loan while I am furloughed? If the furlough is expected to last 30 days or less—yes. If the furlough will last more than 30 days—no. If you expect to be furloughed on a periodic basis (for example, one day per pay period), you can take a TSP loan but will be responsible for keeping your loan payments up to date if you don’t earn enough per pay period for your agency to make each required loan payment. The section of this fact sheet “What if I already have a TSP loan when I am placed in nonpay status?” discusses how to keep your account current under these circumstances.

When you sign your TSP Loan Agreement, you promise to repay your loan and authorize the TSP to deduct your loan payments from your pay. The first payment is due on or before the 60th day following the loan issue date.

- Apply to have your credit card lines increased. Many times it is automated and you get an answer right then. You can also apply for a credit card that you don't use unless needed.

⦁ Many banks have a notice on their website now saying they can work with you if you are part of the shutdown. Call them if you have a mortgage, car or student loan and see what they can do for you.

One more thing. What we need to do is to put pressure on our Congress that if we don't get paid, they don't get paid. They feel no pain. I'm going to see if someone has come up with a hashtag that can be elevated. Right now we have a bully in the playground with others standing around giving him support. If you give in to the bully, you will never be safe. He will keep coming back because he doesn't care about your pain. Our president is in over his head with his own problems. The people supporting him are terrified he will bad mouth them and they will lose their seat(job). It has happened a number of times, so that is real power. It's like the kids standing around the bully afraid he may beat them up if they say or do anything. We have the debt ceiling fight coming up March 1st., which can put us back on furlough if we are working. Handling bullies who have power is tough.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
VaVirgo79 on 1/14/2019(UTC)
#367 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 2:01:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I listened to C-SPAN this morning and likewise heard nasty comments about federal employees. It's amazing how the public worships the military but denigrates us, even though many of us, myself included, are veterans. How did I go from hero to zero? Well, when you have politicians who say things like government is the problem and not the solution (look up who said that), it's no mystery. Some WH advisor said today that we are on paid vacation. How do you fight that with facts when nobody is listening?

My union is not a Fed union, it is a trade union with Fed contracts, and my rep advised me to seek outside work since I am an intermittent duty employee and not eligible for back pay. Even though I had a return date, I was not on site when the shutdown began. When your union tells you to find another job, you are in trouble.

And when appropriations are restored, I am putting in for retirement. The paperwork goes out that day. I am not giving them another chance to abuse me.
kitkatma  
#368 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 2:04:08 PM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Massgone2015 Go to Quoted Post

Agreed. The comment sections of my local online news outlets are full of nasty comments about federal employees. Most people I know (not including co-workers) are not affected by this shutdown. The union wants us to venture over to the State House this week to protest. A lot of good that's going to do. As long as airplanes are flying (safely) and tax refunds are flowing, I don't see an end to this. In fact, according to one of the online "tax refund" forums, people are already filing, they are receiving notice the IRS has accepted the return and WMR shows it's processing.

As a CSR we are told that the time for refunds start on the "official" opening date, which is Jan 28th. Now, we all know that some are "accept" early for system testing, but they are not processed until the filing season official opens.
chriswt25  
#369 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 2:06:47 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dmellow Go to Quoted Post
It appears to me now that this shutdown could continue into February or beyond. This forum is a good way to share some of your backup plan that may help others. Whether you are holding out for the end of the shutdown or looking for another job, you won't get a paycheck for at least 2 to 4 weeks once you are working. These are some of my thoughts:

⦁ If you have not been called back to work, file for unemployment today. Many states will allow you to file if you are not working. If you get called back, you are considered employed and not eligible. You should able to get the last 2 to 3 weeks. Even if it comes when we are back at work, it may tide you over until we get our back pay and you can pay it back. This is especially important if we come back with no pay.

⦁ Take a loan from your TSP account. I called them to check and they said we are considered furloughed and need to have at least $1,000 of your own money in your account. You will not be eligible to take out a loan after 30 days. She said people are applying left and right.

From the TSP fact sheet: Can I take a TSP loan while I am furloughed? If the furlough is expected to last 30 days or less—yes. If the furlough will last more than 30 days—no. If you expect to be furloughed on a periodic basis (for example, one day per pay period), you can take a TSP loan but will be responsible for keeping your loan payments up to date if you don’t earn enough per pay period for your agency to make each required loan payment. The section of this fact sheet “What if I already have a TSP loan when I am placed in nonpay status?” discusses how to keep your account current under these circumstances.

When you sign your TSP Loan Agreement, you promise to repay your loan and authorize the TSP to deduct your loan payments from your pay. The first payment is due on or before the 60th day following the loan issue date.

- Apply to have your credit card lines increased. Many times it is automated and you get an answer right then. You can also apply for a credit card that you don't use unless needed.

⦁ Many banks have a notice on their website now saying they can work with you if you are part of the shutdown. Call them if you have a mortgage, car or student loan and see what they can do for you.

One more thing. What we need to do is to put pressure on our Congress that if we don't get paid, they don't get paid. They feel no pain. I'm going to see if someone has come up with a hashtag that can be elevated. Right now we have a bully in the playground with others standing around giving him support. If you give in to the bully, you will never be safe. He will keep coming back because he doesn't care about your pain. Our president is in over his head with his own problems. The people supporting him are terrified he will bad mouth them and they will lose their seat(job). It has happened a number of times, so that is real power. It's like the kids standing around the bully afraid he may beat them up if they say or do anything. We have the debt ceiling fight coming up March 1st., which can put us back on furlough if we are working. Handling bullies who have power is tough.

That's a great post, but you could have omitted the last paragraph. I think we are far better served here by just saying get BOTH sides to act like adults and negotiate a solution.
thanks 2 users thanked chriswt25 for this useful post.
Red on 1/14/2019(UTC), RodoHinote on 1/14/2019(UTC)
Massgone2015  
#370 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 2:20:02 PM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Originally Posted by: kitkatma Go to Quoted Post

As a CSR we are told that the time for refunds start on the "official" opening date, which is Jan 28th. Now, we all know that some are "accept" early for system testing, but they are not processed until the filing season official opens.

They don't seem to understand processing doesn't start until then and most appear to be subject to the PATH rules. They're just all giddy they've been accepted! Damn, I can't even get my W2!
thanks 2 users thanked Massgone2015 for this useful post.
Red on 1/14/2019(UTC), RodoHinote on 1/14/2019(UTC)
chriswt25  
#371 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 2:24:24 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

They don't seem to understand processing doesn't start until then and most appear to be subject to the PATH rules. They're just all giddy they've been accepted! Damn, I can't even get my W2!

They can file since they are members of the hottest profession of all "Hairdresser" :=)

Edited by user Monday, January 14, 2019 2:25:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked chriswt25 for this useful post.
Massgone2015 on 1/14/2019(UTC), RodoHinote on 1/14/2019(UTC)
kitkatma  
#372 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 2:54:11 PM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Per the updated (today) IRS website, NFC will release our W2's on time.
thanks 1 user thanked kitkatma for this useful post.
Massgone2015 on 1/14/2019(UTC)
Massgone2015  
#373 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 3:27:24 PM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post

They can file since they are members of the hottest profession of all "Hairdresser" :=)

#2 would be babysitter.

thanks 1 user thanked Massgone2015 for this useful post.
RodoHinote on 1/14/2019(UTC)
RodoHinote  
#374 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 4:43:59 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)

#2 would be babysitter.

Wait.... It's all sounding a bit funny.... Not only "HAHAHA" funny, but skeptical funny as well. I'e only been working for the IRS for a little less than a year, so please forgive me if my questions seem a little bit more naive than most. Before working for the IRS, I worked in department stores, and the U.S. Army. As far as I can remember, I received W-2's from BOTH employers. I've never known ANYONE to file without a W-2! How is it that they are filing without them? The reason that this is funny to me is because people are all on FaceBook calming that they sent their refunds in as early as January 1st, and as far as I knew..... W-2's wasn't supposed to go out until January 31st. Isn't that 30 days too soon?
"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
Massgone2015  
#375 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 4:49:05 PM(UTC)
Massgone2015

United States

Originally Posted by: RodoHinote Go to Quoted Post

#2 would be babysitter.

Wait.... It's all sounding a bit funny.... Not only "HAHAHA" funny, but skeptical funny as well. I'e only been working for the IRS for a little less than a year, so please forgive me if my questions seem a little bit more naive than most. Before working for the IRS, I worked in department stores, and the U.S. Army. As far as I can remember, I received W-2's from BOTH employers. I've never known ANYONE to file without a W-2! How is it that they are filing without them? The reason that this is funny to me is because people are all on FaceBook calming that they sent their refunds in as early as January 1st, and as far as I knew..... W-2's wasn't supposed to go out until January 31st. Isn't that 30 days too soon?

They use paystubs and can end up in Exam or questionable Schedule C's which can also end up in Exam. And to add to that...I feel NO sympathy when that happens!

Edited by user Monday, January 14, 2019 4:50:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Massgone2015 for this useful post.
RodoHinote on 1/14/2019(UTC)
Hired 2015  
#376 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 5:05:23 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

I agree with a governor in the media that states should automatically pay furloughed federal workers unemployment and waive work searches. Honestly what company will hire us under rules that we have to report in 4 hours if the government reopens? How do we verify employment with the shutdown?

We can't work in the private sector to prepare returns.

RodoHinote  
#377 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 5:08:51 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
And risk getting caught?!?

It's getting my adrenaline pumping just thinking about it! I'm feeling the same way I felt when my wife came to me crying a few years back; In a panic telling me that someone filed taxes in her name using her social security number for a job she never worked. Now with this, I need a cigarette break.
"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
chriswt25  
#378 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 6:16:10 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: RodoHinote Go to Quoted Post

#2 would be babysitter.

They are "so called self-employed" No W-2

dmellow  
#379 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 6:52:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dmellow Go to Quoted Post

That's a great post, but you could have omitted the last paragraph. I think we are far better served here by just saying get BOTH sides to act like adults and negotiate a solution.

It's not about both sides. You have a 3 sided triangle and I am assuming any 2 sides can come together and get us back to work. The top of the triangle is unmovable. One side says they will go with what the top of the triangle wants. I'm not sure why those two sides can't come together and overpower the remaining triangle. For negotiations to work, there has to be give and take.

Trump declares he'll 'never back down' in shutdown fight

https://abcnews.go.com/P...on-shutdown-end-60354548
Jimmy81  
#380 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 6:54:17 PM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Maybe the delay in the recall is the union fighting back? One can hope. They must realize not doing anything would lead to a lot of employees stopping paying dues (in right to work states).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed