Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LieutenantBlantyre  
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 4:08:51 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AlwaysWaiting Go to Quoted Post
Yes CSRs can be called in. Received a text from my manager today stating that if the shutdown continues after Jan 6th I will have to report to work.

Managers at Cleveland were thinking any time January 2nd or later. That was before we left Friday, though. No new messages from my manager, though.

New Hires are going to be a horrible question by January 6th because they’re likely not certified anywhere for any phones gate yet. They would’ve missed one whole pay period by then. Would they come back or leave us?
LieutenantBlantyre  
#22 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 4:19:21 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: spence Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
Do we apply for unemployment? Some at my call site said they would have to apply for unemployment if this drags on past the 26th?

I don't think it's a good idea to apply for unemployment if you have any savings you can dip into, because then you just have to pay it back if/when we get back pay and that's a hassle.

Also to qualify for unemployment, you usually have to do a job search in most states, so what happens when you get a job offer but you haven't resigned from the federal government?

Hopefully the shutdown won't go long enough for this to be an issue.

If you get an offer, you consider it carefully. There is no shame in walking away. Sometimes this is a burden to lay down. We’ve been having a steady stream of retirements at Cleveland. Sometimes there is fun stuff to do in the private sector.
thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
spence on 12/22/2018(UTC)
Hired 2015  
#23 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 5:05:48 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Our unemployment office offers skill building programs open to the employed or unemployed.
dmellow  
#24 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 7:45:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post
Do we apply for unemployment? Some at my call site said they would have to apply for unemployment if this drags on past the 26th?

I don't think it's a good idea to apply for unemployment if you have any savings you can dip into, because then you just have to pay it back if/when we get back pay and that's a hassle.

Also to qualify for unemployment, you usually have to do a job search in most states, so what happens when you get a job offer but you haven't resigned from the federal government?

If you get an offer, you consider it carefully. There is no shame in walking away. Sometimes this is a burden to lay down. We’ve been having a steady stream of retirements at Cleveland. Sometimes there is fun stuff to do in the private sector.

Why aren't you in the private sector? You seem to complain a lot about the service and Cleveland. Lay your burden down.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#25 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 7:50:41 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: dmellow Go to Quoted Post

Why aren't you in the private sector? You seem to complain a lot about the service and Cleveland. Lay your burden down.

Been working on it. Been keeping secrets. Not everything is in place yet to be able to walk away.
KW19102  
#26 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2018 10:50:54 AM(UTC)
KW19102

What impact will the shutdown do for CSR's who just finished tax law training as far as non eval period and OJI? Might this also result in overtime extended well past the April filing deadline as well?

Edited by user Sunday, December 23, 2018 10:52:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: error

LieutenantBlantyre  
#27 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2018 12:28:52 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: KW19102 Go to Quoted Post
What impact will the shutdown do for CSR's who just finished tax law training as far as non eval period and OJI? Might this also result in overtime extended well past the April filing deadline as well?

Based upon what the emergency hotline says now, call/text your immediate manager for instructions. We all may have to pop in Wednesday for a chance to grab personal effects, turn in accountable items, and lock down our desks. That's what the message indicated and that everyone's immediate manager would have more specific instructions.

The questions you're asking don't have answers right now. We might get answers Wednesday if we get to go in for shutdown activities.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#28 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2018 8:58:16 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Before I forget, I wanted to wish everybody a Merry Christmas. I hope everybody has fun and cheer with their families over the next two days. This is a time for joy in the year.
thanks 2 users thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
Marie93 on 12/23/2018(UTC), spence on 12/24/2018(UTC)
Hired 2015  
#29 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 7:30:42 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
We were not told to report on Wednesday for shutdown procedures. We were told to monitor news and call ERC for our specific site for instructions. Our entire site was furloughed.
KW19102  
#30 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 8:15:27 AM(UTC)
KW19102

Based upon what the emergency hotline says now, call/text your immediate manager for instructions. We all may have to pop in Wednesday for a chance to grab personal effects, turn in accountable items, and lock down our desks. That's what the message indicated and that everyone's immediate manager would have more specific instructions.

The questions you're asking don't have answers right now. We might get answers Wednesday if we get to go in for shutdown activities.

I just called the hotline. I don't have, nor do I think that anyone has their manager's contact information other than their office #. Are the managers going to be giving us a call? I haven't heard anything, and it's really important to know if I have to be in work on Wednesday for travel purposes.

spence  
#31 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 8:20:32 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
If your manager had it together like mine did, they should have told you already on Friday before the end of workday what to do. The hotline is telling people to call their manager if they didn't already get instructions yet for shutdown procedures.

If no one calls you, I think calling the manager's office phone number and leaving a message to be called back is reasonable. If they're supposed to be contacted for shutdown procedures, they, or someone else who can check for them, should be checking their office phone. Also check if other people in your team have heard anything.

You should be ready to return to work within 4 hours of when the shutdown ends and stay close enough for that.

Edited by user Monday, December 24, 2018 8:24:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#32 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 8:24:48 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

We were not told to report on Wednesday for shutdown procedures. We were told to monitor news and call ERC for our specific site for instructions. Our entire site was furloughed.

That's what got me confused. The last e-mail from Ops 4 before departure was to not come in. I called ERC and the recording says call your manager. Just to be sure I had a family member listen to the entire message to be sure I didn't misunderstand it. I text my manager and my manager says have a Merry Christmas but also stay home. There are some freeze code IRMs that go in screwy loops like that.

I just called the hotline. I don't have, nor do I think that anyone has their manager's contact information other than their office #. Are the managers going to be giving us a call? I haven't heard anything, and it's really important to know if I have to be in work on Wednesday for travel purposes.

Unless you get a call, you're staying home it appears. As for answers, there really are none. Hopefully things get fixed Thursday. If not, we'll know something more hopefully by the start of the new year. Enjoy the Christmas holiday and don't worry. I'm heading out myself today to go do some last minute shopping and am really only online to check traffic conditions between me and the relevant stores.
spence  
#33 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 8:30:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
That's what got me confused. The last e-mail from Ops 4 before departure was to not come in. I called ERC and the recording says call your manager. Just to be sure I had a family member listen to the entire message to be sure I didn't misunderstand it. I text my manager and my manager says have a Merry Christmas but also stay home. There are some freeze code IRMs that go in screwy loops like that.

The recording is a national message and has to cover the gaps. Some people never got any shutdown instructions on Friday, so they should call their manager for instructions. If you already got instructions you don't need to go in and to just monitor the hotline, you have your instructions. That's my take.
nonewsnotgood  
#34 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 10:18:24 AM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
When you look at this link: https://www.irs.gov/news...-employee-emergency-news

You get this message:

"Due to the lapse in appropriations, most IRS operations are closed. An IRS-wide furlough began on December 22, 2018, for everyone except already-identified excepted employees. Non-excepted employees are furloughed and placed in a non-pay and non-duty status until further notice; however, all employees should plan to report to work for their next tour of duty. Employees will be given up to four hours to close out work requirements and receive formal furlough notification. Employees may report via remote access if they have telework capabilities.

For continuing information on the furlough, IRS employees are encouraged to monitor this page, news outlets, OPM.gov and the 24/7 Emergency Hotline — 866-743-5748. For TTY access (Federal Relay Service), call 800-877-8339.

We’ll update this page as new information becomes available.

As a reminder, the Employee Assistance Program is available for all IRS employees and their immediate family members at any time, day or night, by calling 800-977-7631 (TDD: 800-697-0353). This no-cost counseling service could help address stress and other issues you and your family may face."

Now I called the ERC number and it said really nothing firm.

My big question is as a CSR do I report on Wednesday for "shutdown" procedures? Are we turning in badges and transit credit cards? This is my first shutdown. This stuff always happened when I was already furloughed so I missed all the "fun"

I was in Tax Law training the Friday before the shutdown. I was in between managers and they have my number. I sent an email to the new manager asking what I am expected to do.

They REALLY needed to have some sort of brief meeting the week before a shutdown to instruct us in what we need to do, if anything. This kind of crap is what ticks me off about the IRS. I have been here for about 7 years. Prior to starting at IRS I EXPECTED a more organized place. Well it ISN'T that we all know that!

So what do you guys think do we report on Wednesday or just ride this out? I never got a call. I am in the Pittsburgh PA call site.

Joechopchop  
#35 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 5:10:00 PM(UTC)
Joechopchop

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nonewsnotgood Go to Quoted Post

So what do you guys think do we report on Wednesday or just ride this out? I never got a call. I am in the Pittsburgh PA call site.

You’re not the only one not to get a call. I’ve been out on sick leave for 3 days leading up to the shutdown. Hopefully, we’ll find out whether we’re essential or non-essential.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#36 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 5:30:04 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

When you look at this link: https://www.irs.gov/news...-employee-emergency-news

You get this message:

"Due to the lapse in appropriations, most IRS operations are closed. An IRS-wide furlough began on December 22, 2018, for everyone except already-identified excepted employees. Non-excepted employees are furloughed and placed in a non-pay and non-duty status until further notice; however, all employees should plan to report to work for their next tour of duty. Employees will be given up to four hours to close out work requirements and receive formal furlough notification. Employees may report via remote access if they have telework capabilities.

For continuing information on the furlough, IRS employees are encouraged to monitor this page, news outlets, OPM.gov and the 24/7 Emergency Hotline — 866-743-5748. For TTY access (Federal Relay Service), call 800-877-8339.

We’ll update this page as new information becomes available.

As a reminder, the Employee Assistance Program is available for all IRS employees and their immediate family members at any time, day or night, by calling 800-977-7631 (TDD: 800-697-0353). This no-cost counseling service could help address stress and other issues you and your family may face."

Now I called the ERC number and it said really nothing firm.

My big question is as a CSR do I report on Wednesday for "shutdown" procedures? Are we turning in badges and transit credit cards? This is my first shutdown. This stuff always happened when I was already furloughed so I missed all the "fun"

I was in Tax Law training the Friday before the shutdown. I was in between managers and they have my number. I sent an email to the new manager asking what I am expected to do.

They REALLY needed to have some sort of brief meeting the week before a shutdown to instruct us in what we need to do, if anything. This kind of crap is what ticks me off about the IRS. I have been here for about 7 years. Prior to starting at IRS I EXPECTED a more organized place. Well it ISN'T that we all know that!

Originally Posted by: Joechopchop Go to Quoted Post

You’re not the only one not to get a call. I’ve been out on sick leave for 3 days leading up to the shutdown. Hopefully, we’ll find out whether we’re essential or non-essential.

I’ve been on some crazy adventures today. I’ve been picking up replacement gear and mourning the loss of pre-bankruptcy RadioShack. Plans and designs are in the near-term matters to be handled.

Between the vagueness of the web message and the vagueness of the phone message, I doubt anybody at national thought this would happen. The written plan says all AM & ACS CSRs are non-essential. Until this is fixed, I’m going to try to pick up some freelance work. The market is a bit more cutthroat but I’ve done things in media arts before. As long as I get paid for it, it will be okay.

Worst comes to worst, I can go back to the very beginning and be a janitor again. I was good at that.

nonewsnotgood  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 4:39:07 AM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It would have been nice to just let us know if we have to go in tomorrow to turn in our badges and transit credit cards. I think this would be stupid. But it would have been nice to have been told clearly what to do. I am guessing tomorrow someone will call us and I can ASK them. But being in that Tax Law training no time was taken or any real instructions given on this. I always thought we were going to be shut down MONTHS ago over this. I figured no way was it going to happen BEFORE the midterms or the Republicans would have gone nuts over that. But after the election I thought it was inevitable since Trump needed to do something for his "base" who were crazy over the wall (and it's a FENCE). When I saw the short term CR until February I thought WOW the grown ups finally got through to the knucklheads at the top.

Now I am enjoying the shutdown now. I have savings. I planned for this.

I just wanted someone to give clearer instructions. Oh well, I shouldn't be surprised, it's the IRS!

Edited by user Tuesday, December 25, 2018 4:40:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chriswt25  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 5:43:16 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
If you weren't specifically told last Friday to report on Wednesday 12/26. or were not contacted by management or their representative since then, you sit and wait. Pretty simple. It is their responsibility to let you know what you need to do.

I would check the toll free ERC on 12/26 in the AM to see if there is the same canned message from 12/22 at 12:01 A.M. After the message plays, I would also hit the prompts for your local building closure instructions, just so you CYA.

Hang in there all and try to enjoy the holiday week. Working for the Fed at times like this can be the most frustrating experience you will ever deal with as an employee. It will never change.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 25, 2018 5:48:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Vinny  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:40:10 PM(UTC)
Vinny

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I took a look at the agency shutdown plans last Friday after I contacted all my employees (at least the ones who were there; most were out on use-or-lose leave). Looks like they have different excepted/non-excepted lists for shutdowns in December vs. "filing season" (Jan 1 - Apr 30). But the way the plans are currently written, anyone who is non-excepted can be recalled at any time after five business days being shut down. I doubt that will happen in my group but I could see that happening in exam.

I am not confident that this gets ironed out before January 2. What a cluster.
ironman0786  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:45:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I surprised at how many people are confused about this shutdown. You knew of a possible shutdown weeks in advance, yet you did not ask for clarification before Friday. How is that possible. My area has been talking about it since the two-week extension. Moreover, as an employee, it's not your burden. If you are supposed to be there Wednesday someone would have already called you to let you know.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed