Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chriswt25  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 8:13:02 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ironman0786 Go to Quoted Post
I surprised at how many people are confused about this shutdown. You knew of a possible shutdown weeks in advance, yet you did not ask for clarification before Friday. How is that possible. My area has been talking about it since the two-week extension. Moreover, as an employee, it's not your burden. If you are supposed to be there Wednesday someone would have already called you to let you know.

Exactly. I don't think my office is much different than most of the others. At least in AM. They update contact info (phone numbers etc) at least a few times a year, and it is the responsibility of management to contact the employee as to whether or not they are expected to report for any shutdown purposes.

Of course we may start getting the frantic "You are expected to report in 4 hours" calls, if they want to make people come in during the day this is resolved.

Also wouldn't doubt that people could get flipped into having to report once 2019 begins.

nonewsnotgood  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 4:23:42 AM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My confusion stems from the fact that I was in Tax Law training AND my old manager STOPPED being my manager and was transitioning to another manager. I stopped by my old manager's office Friday afternoon and ASKED him what do I do. I asked him if I was excepted or essential...whatever. He said they didn't know. He said the managers would take home the call roster. HOPEFULLY that's true. So I did my due deligence and inquired. Now they could (and should have brought this up in team meetings, which I wasn't in because of Tax Law training).

Since I was in Tax Law trainning they couldn't expect to come in an resume training since that would be stopped DURING a shutdown. They could flip me into App 20, which is fine.

Well they have my number.

The IRS is a rather scary place to work. They try and terrify you with threats. Day 2 of my time with the IRS I decided I would DEFINITELY join the union!

I just don't want to get in trouble for not appearing to turn in a badge.

What was so FREAKING hard about letting people KNOW on Friday what to expect. And if they weren't there...then an EMAIL would have been nice at home. It's easy to shoot a bulk email to your team.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 26, 2018 4:26:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

spence  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 10:26:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I completely understand the confusion. It is the employee's responsibility to monitor the hotline and the employee emergency page. The hotline says employees should contact their managers about shutdown procedures such as accounting for government-issued equipment and retrieving personal effects. The employee emergency page goes even further. It's only from having been working Friday night up to shutdown that I know my manager doesn't need me to contact him or come in about my badge or my keys. We're hanging on to those.

If there's any doubt, call your manager and leave a message. Then you're covered that you contacted them for procedures.

When the shutdown ends, you don't wait for a call from your manager. The call is a courtesy for people who didn't check the hotline in time.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 26, 2018 10:32:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chriswt25  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:57:08 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nonewsnotgood Go to Quoted Post
My confusion stems from the fact that I was in Tax Law training AND my old manager STOPPED being my manager and was transitioning to another manager. I stopped by my old manager's office Friday afternoon and ASKED him what do I do. I asked him if I was excepted or essential...whatever. He said they didn't know. He said the managers would take home the call roster. HOPEFULLY that's true. So I did my due deligence and inquired. Now they could (and should have brought this up in team meetings, which I wasn't in because of Tax Law training).

Since I was in Tax Law trainning they couldn't expect to come in an resume training since that would be stopped DURING a shutdown. They could flip me into App 20, which is fine.

The IRS is a rather scary place to work. They try and terrify you with threats. Day 2 of my time with the IRS I decided I would DEFINITELY join the union!

What was so FREAKING hard about letting people KNOW on Friday what to expect. And if they weren't there...then an EMAIL would have been nice at home. It's easy to shoot a bulk email to your team.

You answered your own questions. If they didn't specifically tell you to come in to return any property, then you do nothing unless they call you to tell you to report to return items. The badges and the desk keys you keep.

Yes. It is scary. It always will be. They have enough issues running the place day to day, since there are so many layers of BS involved. Doesn't shock me that this was handled as poorly as it has been in certain locations.

No Place Like Home  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 2:27:52 PM(UTC)
No Place Like Home

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)

We are only essential during filing season. If you remember at the beginning of the year we were essential because it was considered filing season. We have never had to go in and turn in badges or credit cards during any of the furloughs before. The news will tell you when the furlough is over. There will then be an announcement of how many hours you have to report to work before being considered AWOL - that announcement will either be on the ERC line or by a call from management. Take the time off and enjoy. It will only get crazy after we come back because of all the missed appointments that need to be rescheduled and system down time during year end.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#46 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 2:49:12 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 146 post(s)
The Senate reconvenes at 1600 Eastern on Thursday.

I think I’ve got all my bills paid up through the end of the year.

January may be iffy for bills.

I’m just ticked off that Congress made special provision with a permanent indefinite appropriation for the Russia Collusion Investigation yet the tax collectors got nothing. Those are horrible priorities. Then again, stupider things have been done.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#47 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 2:51:35 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: No Place Like Home Go to Quoted Post

We are only essential during filing season. If you remember at the beginning of the year we were essential because it was considered filing season. We have never had to go in and turn in badges or credit cards during any of the furloughs before. The news will tell you when the furlough is over. There will then be an announcement of how many hours you have to report to work before being considered AWOL - that announcement will either be on the ERC line or by a call from management. Take the time off and enjoy. It will only get crazy after we come back because of all the missed appointments that need to be rescheduled and system down time during year end.

If we use the playbook from the start of this year, we won’t be rescheduling appointments as the TACs will remain shuttered.
nonewsnotgood  
#48 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 4:12:37 PM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I did get a call from my manager this afternoon. I remember the last time we had something like this we were told we were essential since it was filing season. I budget for this kind of thing so the money isn't the problem. It's wondering what they expect. The most successful IRS workers are the ones can just ignore this kind of thing.
dmellow  
#49 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:12:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I had texted my previous manager and current manager the other day and both are waiting for a phone call themselves. I'm not in a panic because this is not a common occurrence. I'm not worried about getting everything right. A few years back when I was still a seasonal and out on furlough, they had a shut down for 21 days. When we are furloughed because of funding, management has to wait for Congress to pass the budget. I was told once we hit January, we may have to work and not be paid until this is over.

Things are up in the air because things are hitting at the same time. Training for extensive tax law changes were underway when this shutdown happened. Many of the forms and publications aren't available yet. All the changes have to be broken down and put in a format that makes sense. This is also the time we normally get more calls about refunds and tax law procedures. All of that is on hold now. Last year we started accepting returns at almost the end of January. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't pushed into February this year.

My guess is we won't go back until at least January 2nd. Thursday would be a transition day for Congress and I don't see them doing anything that would have us rushing into the office. Friday they will be in discussions all day and Monday is New Year's Eve...not a big concern for taxpayers. For now, I would consider this a paid vacation. I don't know how long it look people to get their back pay with the last shutdown. I don't believe it was that long. We should still get a full paycheck on 12/31 since the pay period ended Saturday, 12/22. Hang in there everybody. Things will work out.

https://www.whitehouse.g...le-December-22-Lapse.pdf

Edited by user Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:14:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

spence  
#50 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 3:15:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
My paycheck's going to miss an hour and a half because the shutdown happened partway through Friday night shift for me, but just that isn't a big issue for me yet. But when people say, including admin officials, that everyone is getting their full paycheck from last pay period before the shutdown, they forget night shift and weekend workers.

Edited by user Thursday, December 27, 2018 3:18:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dmellow  
#51 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 7:23:56 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
This article just sent to me is a few days old but, very informative.

https://federalnewsnetwo...ential-partial-shutdown/
LieutenantBlantyre  
#52 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 12:32:16 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Employee Emergency Page just got updated. Key bit:

Quote:
Important: IRS employees will receive their paychecks on Monday, December 31, 2018.

The infamous signed letter from HCO for creditors is also posted for download.

I'm off to see the wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz...
LieutenantBlantyre  
#53 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 1:05:20 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

If the Senate chaplain hadn't led opening prayer, the session would've been over in less than two minutes. No substantive session expected until January 2nd.
Swtpch93  
#54 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 4:20:10 AM(UTC)
Swtpch93

I start my temp job next week. I cannot wait around and see what these people are going to do. Happy New Year all!
NicNell  
#55 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 7:57:49 AM(UTC)
NicNell

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Swtpch93 Go to Quoted Post
I start my temp job next week. I cannot wait around and see what these people are going to do. Happy New Year all!

Just read that 45 signed an executive order canceling our raise while we’re in a shutdown lol. I think it’s time to start looking for employment elsewhere. Happy New Year everyone!
JustFedUp  
#56 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 9:41:36 AM(UTC)
JustFedUp

United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NicNell Go to Quoted Post

Just read that 45 signed an executive order canceling our raise while we’re in a shutdown lol. I think it’s time to start looking for employment elsewhere. Happy New Year everyone!

If you are younger with marketable skills, I find it hard to make an argument why working for the government is a prudent choice these days.

Hey Dude  
#57 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 10:19:20 AM(UTC)
Hey Dude

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi

2 questions.....Re shutdown ...maybee someone can help....

If CAF unit closed in shutdown?

And

If Taxpayer received basic collection type letter with response due by Jan 4th. Is that due date still valid? In other words is collections still working?

Many thanks!

"Dude"
Hey Dude  
#58 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 10:38:43 AM(UTC)
Hey Dude

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Excuse typos. Should be IS car unit closed
LieutenantBlantyre  
#59 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 6:51:41 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Hey Dude Go to Quoted Post
Hi

2 questions.....Re shutdown ...maybee someone can help....

If CAF unit closed in shutdown?

And

If Taxpayer received basic collection type letter with response due by Jan 4th. Is that due date still valid? In other words is collections still working?

Many thanks!

"Dude"

CAF is on autopilot. Their fax numbers are likely still working but nobody is shown in the plan processing their queue.

As to the collections notice, that mail is still being opened at work. Unless the Secretary or the Commissioner publicly announce an extension of deadlines, there isn’t one. The shutdown, by itself, doesn’t change due dates for the TPs. Deadline extensions may exist if there was a disaster like California Wildfires so check the circumstances against the announcements under “News” on irs.gov.

Yes, the deadline is still very valid. Miss it at your peril.
thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
Hey Dude on 12/30/2018(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#60 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 6:53:08 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Swtpch93 Go to Quoted Post

Peace be with you and good luck.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed