Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

39 Pages«<7891011>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Whatevershe  
#161 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 8:28:38 AM(UTC)
Whatevershe

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have bills to pay. We should be able to borrow from TSP during a shutdown, with no penalty. My 2 cents
thanks 1 user thanked Whatevershe for this useful post.
caligurl0222 on 1/6/2019(UTC)
Jimmy81  
#162 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 8:51:57 AM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Looks like the Democrats will be passing funding bills for individual agencies, starting with IRS. There will be a lot of pressure to sign that. Delaying tax refunds has big consequences.
chriswt25  
#163 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:08:19 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jimmy81 Go to Quoted Post
Looks like the Democrats will be passing funding bills for individual agencies, starting with IRS. There will be a lot of pressure to sign that. Delaying tax refunds has big consequences.

Say that they do that and then it passes the Senate (which it won't) or if the Senate does pass it and it goes to the Presidents desk to sign (which he won't) Say all of that does happen and they open the IRS, we may go back to work, but we still won't get paid. They are not going to pay certain civilian government workers, and not others. At least I don't think they will be allowed to pay us.

Edited by user Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:09:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jimmy81  
#164 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:17:52 AM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post

Say that they do that and then it passes the Senate (which it won't) or if the Senate does pass it and it goes to the Presidents desk to sign (which he won't) Say all of that does happen and they open the IRS, we may go back to work, but we still won't get paid. They are not going to pay certain civilian government workers, and not others. At least I don't think they will be allowed to pay us.

You will get paid once your agency is funded, just like all the other currently funded agencies. But you are right that the Republicans probably will not allow individual bills. In fact, the Republicans tried to do the exact same thing in the 2013 shutdown. The Dems shot them all down.
thanks 1 user thanked Jimmy81 for this useful post.
spence on 1/6/2019(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#165 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:49:04 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 151 post(s)

You will get paid once your agency is funded, just like all the other currently funded agencies. But you are right that the Republicans probably will not allow individual bills. In fact, the Republicans tried to do the exact same thing in the 2013 shutdown. The Dems shot them all down.

Current Senate Program:

Quote:
Tuesday, Jan 08, 2019
3:00 p.m.: Convene and resume consideration of the motion to proceed to S.1, the Strengthening America’s Security in the Middle East Act.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The House doesn't have any votes until late Tuesday according to their Majority Leader's calendar either. Delaying/Impacting "REFUND SEASON!!!!1111!!!!11!ELEVENTY!!!" is tremendous leverage that I don't see POTUS giving up. My television viewing, such that it is, is so much calmer this year at this time of the year because the blockheads and the rest aren't running ads promoting their services nearly as often as normal.

kitkatma  
#166 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:52:47 AM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 57 post(s)

This is just nuts! Congress IS NOT doing their job and they are getting paid. From my perspective, they're not even trying. Congress DOES NOT require the President's signature to pass a bill. Yes it is easier if the President does sign, but there are provisions in the Constitution for veto overrides.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#167 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:59:56 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: kitkatma Go to Quoted Post

This is just nuts! Congress IS NOT doing their job and they are getting paid. From my perspective, they're not even trying. Congress DOES NOT require the President's signature to pass a bill. Yes it is easier if the President does sign, but there are provisions in the Constitution for veto overrides.

You have to be able to rustle up a two-thirds majority in both chambers for that. Speaker Pelosi has a majority in the House but not two-thirds. Majority Leader McConnell has a majority in the Senate but not two-thirds. Unless everybody joins hands and works together between the parties in both the House and the Senate with two-thirds voting to override in each chamber, no veto override is possible.

The House reflects the spirit and passion of the country. Right now the country is split pretty finely to where the band-aids have been ripped off a few too many tensions and festering angers. The Senate shows that the states are divided too. We're not in a kumbaya moment.
Jimmy81  
#168 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 10:17:10 AM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Quote:

I wouldn't hold my breath. The House doesn't have any votes until late Tuesday according to their Majority Leader's calendar either. Delaying/Impacting "REFUND SEASON!!!!1111!!!!11!ELEVENTY!!!" is tremendous leverage that I don't see POTUS giving up. My television viewing, such that it is, is so much calmer this year at this time of the year because the blockheads and the rest aren't running ads promoting their services nearly as often as normal.

It's not just EITC filers. Many middle class filers expect these refunds for financial planning (stupid, but it's common). The 2013 shutdown was in October so there wasn't this kind of pressure then.
If only 1 agency is funded before a deal is struck it is likely to be IRS. I hope the IRS makes it clear no refunds until funding.
kitkatma  
#169 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 10:19:24 AM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

You have to be able to rustle up a two-thirds majority in both chambers for that. Speaker Pelosi has a majority in the House but not two-thirds. Majority Leader McConnell has a majority in the Senate but not two-thirds. Unless everybody joins hands and works together between the parties in both the House and the Senate with two-thirds voting to override in each chamber, no veto override is possible.

The House reflects the spirit and passion of the country. Right now the country is split pretty finely to where the band-aids have been ripped off a few too many tensions and festering angers. The Senate shows that the states are divided too. We're not in a kumbaya moment.

But that's my point. I've heard both senators and representatives in both parties say a shutdown isn't good for the country. But what are they doing to resolve the problem?

The House passed passed the appropriation bills that the Senate passed prior to the shutdown, but McConnell will not bring them back to the floor for a vote, why? Because the President will not sign them, not that they won't pass the Senate.
Jimmy81  
#170 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 10:32:36 AM(UTC)
Jimmy81

United States

Quote:

But that's my point. I've heard both senators and representatives in both parties say a shutdown isn't good for the country. But what are they doing to resolve the problem?

The House passed passed the appropriation bills that the Senate passed prior to the shutdown, but McConnell will not bring them back to the floor for a vote, why? Because the President will not sign them, not that they won't pass the Senate.

Because right now McConnell is on the same page as the president. The Democratic Senate did the same thing during the 2013 shutdown, shooting down piecemeal bills from the House without forcing Obama to veto.
chriswt25  
#171 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 11:02:53 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

You are right. Even if both houses pass this Pelosi "power play" show, Trump isn't about to sign it, and there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that there are enough votes to override his veto.

Meanwhile, we in AM should be receiving another report to work call sometime this week, (this time for real) to show up and work without pay shortly. There goes any possibility of unemployment or getting a temporary job, unless you want to or are willing to more than 40 hours a week.

Edited by user Sunday, January 6, 2019 11:04:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nonewsnotgood  
#172 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 11:16:51 AM(UTC)
nonewsnotgood

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What they SHOULD do is for one during any shutdown members of congress and their staff and then the President and his people should be the LAST PEOPLE to be paid! THE LAST!

Next anyone working without PAY should be paid interest. I never went through this before, so I gather that's not happening. Now me I'm off and cool with that. But to have to go in and work for a period of weeks maybe on my dime....no way! But I guess I would.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#173 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 11:47:47 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

You are right. Even if both houses pass this Pelosi "power play" show, Trump isn't about to sign it, and there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that there are enough votes to override his veto.

Meanwhile, we in AM should be receiving another report to work call sometime this week, (this time for real) to show up and work without pay shortly. There goes any possibility of unemployment or getting a temporary job, unless you want to or are willing to more than 40 hours a week.

Even if we get the call, there won't be any sense for 55/56, 182/184, 18/19, and a few of the others with separate numbers to be re-opened. FA & TAS will still be shuttered plus we won't be touching refund returns so no need for TPP. All we're allowed to do under current law & interpretation is baldue, procedural, and possibly tax law if it relates to securing a return. Even providing transcripts would become out of scope as we'd bump up against the no-faxing policy change. Leaving a message up on the specialties saying that they're still not being worked would be better than having people sit there & get abused. We're going to get plenty of abuse plus Frivolous Arguments.

Edited by user Sunday, January 6, 2019 11:51:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kitkatma  
#174 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 12:06:41 PM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

LT's right, not much for us to do during a shutdown. Don't think a start date has been announced yet, so there wouldn't be any 2018 returns to process right now. And what would the night shift do after phone time?
Hired 2015  
#175 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 12:37:27 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 28 post(s)
How are the state revenue departments handling this since they too need to open for state return filing?

My state is hiring for their revenue department.

A tax service in my area opened for business and are going to be offering refund anticipation loans.

chriswt25  
#176 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 1:43:16 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Even if we get the call, there won't be any sense for 55/56, 182/184, 18/19, and a few of the others with separate numbers to be re-opened. FA & TAS will still be shuttered plus we won't be touching refund returns so no need for TPP. All we're allowed to do under current law & interpretation is baldue, procedural, and possibly tax law if it relates to securing a return. Even providing transcripts would become out of scope as we'd bump up against the no-faxing policy change. Leaving a message up on the specialties saying that they're still not being worked would be better than having people sit there & get abused. We're going to get plenty of abuse plus Frivolous Arguments.

They still would have us answer the phones. App 20, App 10 with limited info being dispersed. Answering the expected tax law questions will be futile, since many of us were supposed to be receiving the training right now.
chriswt25  
#177 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 1:49:22 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

LT's right, not much for us to do during a shutdown. Don't think a start date has been announced yet, so there wouldn't be any 2018 returns to process right now. And what would the night shift do after phone time?

Same thing that will happen to the day people that come in at 6 AM in the east as far as phone lines not being in operation at that hour. They will have you sit and work on your favorites or do something to bide your time. I also wouldn't put it past them to extend the phone hours of operations on the front and back end. The NTEU would probably roll over on it.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#178 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 1:56:56 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Same thing that will happen to the day people that come in at 6 AM in the east as far as phone lines not being in operation at that hour. They will have you sit and work on your favorites or do something to bide your time. I also wouldn't put it past them to extend the phone hours of operations on the front and back end. The NTEU would probably roll over on it.

TSA people had their shifts changed involuntarily on grounds of exigent circumstances. That was a reported ground for their "blue flu". I'm expecting anything as possible.
chriswt25  
#179 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 2:04:10 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

TSA people had their shifts changed involuntarily on grounds of exigent circumstances. That was a reported ground for their "blue flu". I'm expecting anything as possible.

Yep That could be a possibility also.

Reminder to ALL. If and when we get declared essential, all pre-approved leave is kaput. Any sick leave is literally not permitted. Wonder what ramifications these TSA's may face for their unscheduled absences?

Edited by user Sunday, January 6, 2019 2:06:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FatHappyCat  
#180 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 3:02:26 PM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 126 post(s)
I just find it incredibly ironic that despite all the talk about how the shutdown is because of border security, it's the border security peeps that aren't getting paid.

Sooner or later your own financial well being will take priority over this wall debacle regardless of what your position is on it.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed