Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
strangeman  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2018 5:29:18 PM(UTC)
strangeman

Groups: Registered

Hello all,

I am filling out an e-qip for a summer internship with a federal agency, for which I'll need a secret clearance.

I'm good to go on everything except section 27. The phrasing of the questions in those is unclear to me.

Basically, during my early days of high school, less than a dozen times I watched a TV show or a movie on a website called putlocker, where movies can be streamed. Nothing was downloaded. I didn't actually realize the legality of this at first, and I quickly ceased to use this site.

Would this be something I need to report on my form? For the life of me, I can't seem to understand the wording of the question or what its getting at. I don't want to report this if its not what the question is asking, and I *certainly* don't want to omit information.

Any help would be great. Thanks all.

Citrine  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 9:14:13 AM(UTC)
Citrine

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
it would help if you post the question(s).
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 11:20:24 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 905 time(s) in 758 post(s)
I'm a little bored so here:
Quote:

Section 27 - Use of Information Technology Systems

We note, with reference to this section, that neither your truthful responses nor information derived from your
responses to this section will be used as evidence against you in a subsequent criminal proceeding. As to this
particular section, this applies whether or not you are currently employed by the Federal government.
The following questions ask about your use of information technology systems. Information technology systems
include all related computer hardware, software, firmware, and data used for the communication, transmission,
processing, manipulation, storage or protection of information.

Unauthorized Access
In the last seven (7) years have you illegally or without proper authorization accessed or attempted to access
any information technology system?

Modified, Destroyed, Manipulated or Denied Access

In the last seven (7) years have you illegally or without authorization, modified, destroyed, manipulated, or
denied others access to information residing on an information technology system or attempted any of the above?

Unauthorized / Unlawful Use
In the last seven (7) years have you introduced, removed, or used hardware, software, or media in connection
with any information technology system without authorization, when specifically prohibited by rules, procedures,
guidelines, or regulations or attempted any of the above?
I think what they're really getting at here is hacking with the intent to break into a system or cause damage. That having been said, they are very sensitive regarding anything in this area.

Edited by user Monday, December 24, 2018 11:21:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: formatting

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
BackGdInvestigator  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 11:24:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Section 27 is the information technology question sections.

Your specific scenario, as listed in your post, as a minor would not usually be reportable. You can report the behavior (and if in doubt, do so) as a matter of record, just be sure to list in the comments your age, the behavior was unintentional, you stopped when you discovered it was illegal, and you have no intention of doing this behavior in the future.

The intent of the question is to self-report behavior of an active criminal behavior or disregard for IT laws/rules - such as cracking into the school computer "because you can" or inserting unauthorized code/software into a business/government/someone else's computer (i.e the ex's computer).

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed