Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
someoldguy  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 11:34:44 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 900 time(s) in 753 post(s)
It appears that as of today (24 December) nothing has been resolved regarding any pay increase for feds in 2019.

It could still happen, I suppose. In fact, I saw one article speculating on a retroactive pay increase that could be passed after New Year's.

Regrettably a 1.9% pay increase would not do much to offset the beating our TSP's are taking :(
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
GWPDA  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 10:57:10 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 404 post(s)
The raise disappeared when the 'clean' CR was proposed. When the CR is adopted on or about 3 January, the legislation including the 1.9% has got to be re-introduced - it has elapsed with the end of the Congressional session. The Senate sponsors have indicated that it will be included, possibly retro-actively.

As for TSPs, I'm just hoping we don't again end up as the Treasury's wallet. Given the way the administration is functioning there's no guarantee of that.
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 8:49:51 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

President Trump has formally decreed (?) that there will be no pay raise for 2019.

The article I read on federalnewsnetwork.com said there was still a possibility that Congress could authorize a retroactive pay raise... and the Dems will take over the House... the Senate already voted for a pay raise... so it all sounds plausible.

But has there ever been a retroactive pay raise before?

GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 4:56:14 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

I don't think it was ever necessary to clean up this kind of mess before.
someoldguy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 5:33:08 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
I don't think it was ever necessary to clean up this kind of mess before.
This is hardly the first time something like this has happened. However, these shutdowns and pay freezes have been more commonplace the past few years. Meaning like the past ten years or so. They have been zero raises for feds many times, not to mention miniscule raises at other times.

Incidentally:
Quote:
Some FedSmith readers are wondering about the possibility of a retroactive pay raise for 2019. In other words, if the government shutdown continues and no annual pay raise for the federal workforce has been approved, can Congress pass legislation authorizing a retroactive pay raise? Has it ever been done before?

A retroactive pay raise has happened before. On January 23, 2004, a FedSmith article read:
Quote:
Can a 2019 Pay Raise Be Applied Retroactively?
The omnibus spending bill has been passed by the Senate. This bill contains a 4.1% pay raise for federal employees (for 2004). The raise will be retroactive to January 1st. Most federal employees received a portion of the raise as of January 1st. The bill now goes to President Bush for signature.

This is the second year that federal employees have received a pay raise of 4.1% and the second year in a row that the raise has been delayed and made retroactive to January 1st. Federal employees have received an annual pay raise of between 2-5% each year since 1987.

So it looks like in both 2003 and 2004, the pay raise was applied retroactively.

As far as 4.1% goes... well...

Edited by user Sunday, December 30, 2018 5:49:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Found a story after my original post

someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 11:41:42 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Now there is a story in the news about a pay raise for political appointees!

This could provide more fuel for a retroactive pay raise.

And in any case we are talking about a 1.9% raise... almost negligible, it would seem
someoldguy  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 1:23:25 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

The three federal news sites that I follow... federalnewsnetwork.com federaltimes.com and fedsmith.com have little to no updated info on the proposed pay increases for 2019.

Nothing has happened to the Senate bill that is a companion to the bill that was passed in the House.

And even the House bill was amended to remove any retroactive pay increase... both bills now say that a pay increase would be effective the date that the bill is signed into law.

I guess the more important thing is to avoid another shutdown.
someoldguy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 5:48:23 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Now it appears that a 1.9% pay raise may be included in the agreement to prevent another shutdown... I guess that is the funding bill? Not sure what to call it. Looks like this is different from the legislation in the House and Senate which called for a 2.6% raise.

WaPo: Federal employees would receive 1.9 percent raise under spending agreement

According to that article, it is not clear if this pay raise would be retroactive... which probably means that it won't be.
DaVinci95  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:18:45 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Yes, the 1.9% pay raise would be included in the bundled appropriations bill for the remaining unfunded agencies. The bill for the 2.6% raise was amended before it passed the House to remove the retroactive provision, so I'm pessimistic about the 1.9% being retroactive. But it still beats no pay raise at all.
GWPDA  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:38:58 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

And according to McConnell the bundled appropriations bill is to be signed today or tomorrow, and will include the 1.9%. There is a trick (isn't there always?). It's not going to be a uniformly applied 1.9%, but rather dependent on locality and how far out of sync the pay is. DC/Baltimore is projected to get 2.3% or so. AK/HI will probably get the traditional extra $1.50 a year. New York, LA, SF - around 2%

Oh yes. An "Emergency Declaration" will be signed at the same time.
someoldguy  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 2:31:49 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Last I heard (and this could have been the radio equivalent of 'clickbait') there is still a possibility that they could opt for an extended continuing resolution... they did not go into a lot of detail but I rather got the impression that it might not include the pay raise and a bunch of other things, but rather be a continuation of last year's budget.

Personally I think another massive CR is unlikely but they typically don't consult me on these things :(

UPDATE: Federal News Network (formerly Federal News Radio) is reporting that the pay raise will be retroactive. There will be a 1.4% across-the-board raise and a 0.5% increase in locality pay. Did not mention the locality pay being targeted like GWPDA said but I think that's how it worked last year.

UPDATED UPDATE: An article on Fedsmith talks about an "average" 1.9% pay raise, which is how it played out last year. The article noted that in 2018, the Wash DC locality area ended up with a 2.29% raise while the "Rest of US" got 1.67%. So I suppose it remains to be seen exactly who will get what... and when. But it says it is retroactive to the first pay period that started in 2019 which was back on 6 Jan.

Edited by user Thursday, February 14, 2019 3:55:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Updated info from federalnewsnetwork.com and fedsmith.com

Polar Bear  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 6:50:55 AM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
When this is signed today, when does the raise actually kick in? Does it take a couple months or, next pay period?
DaVinci95  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 9:20:50 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 65 post(s)
The bill has been signed! (Or apparently not. They changed the article after I posted it to say Trump has said he'll sign.) The 1.9% raise is retroactive to the first pay period of the year! The new locality pay areas will go into effect! Federal News Network article: https://federalnewsnetwo...t-retroactive-pay-raise/

OPM is going to have to issue updated guidance, so I'd be surprised if it showed up on next week's checks. But hopefully it will be on the following one.

Edited by user Friday, February 15, 2019 12:36:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Reporter jumped the gun

GWPDA  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 10:50:10 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

The imaginative National Emergency Declaration was signed earlier this morning. According to Trump, he'll get around to signing the funding bill later today or maybe tomorrow, Saturday.
someoldguy  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 3:31:49 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

The WaPo says the bill has been signed this evening:

Shutdown averted: President Trump has signed a sweeping spending bill hours before funding expired for parts of the government

We'll have to see long it takes for the pay raise stuff to wind its way through the OPM maze.

As for the other political machinations yet to come, stay tuned... and start putting your nickels and dimes away for the next round of shutdown.
aj0188  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2019 12:01:37 PM(UTC)
aj0188

United States

Are the raises expected to be applicable to new hires who started in calendar year 2019?
spence  
#17 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2019 10:30:50 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
The whole GS pay scale is going up, so yes, it would be applicable to new hires too.
someoldguy  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 1:43:42 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

I'm looking at the locality pay tables... still hard to comprehend that Houston TX is such a high cost area. Their locality rate is one of the highest, higher than DC-MD-VA!
GoHuskers  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 2:12:53 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Where did you find the new pay tables? The ones on OPM's site are still the same as the 2018 tables.
someoldguy  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 4:33:56 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: GoHuskers Go to Quoted Post
Where did you find the new pay tables? The ones on OPM's site are still the same as the 2018 tables.
I'm looking at the 2018 tables also... sorry for the confusion.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed