Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
A Aron  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:21:01 AM(UTC)
A Aron

Groups: Registered
United States

I currently work for an excepted service agency that has an interchange agreement. I have applied for several positions now with a competitive service agency that is closer to my home, and each opening states that it is only open to current competitive service personnel. On each occasion I have been found not qualified, which I found odd given my credentials.

After the last occasion I called the hiring agency's HR department, and I was told that I had been found not qualified because I was excepted service. I was also told that the interchange agreement cannot make me qualified for a competitive service only position. I then spoke with my own HR department who told me that was incorrect, and the interchange agreement meant that for hiring purposes I should have been treated like I was competitive service.

Does anyone know where I can get an accurate answer?
FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 11:38:58 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: A Aron Go to Quoted Post
I currently work for an excepted service agency that has an interchange agreement. I have applied for several positions now with a competitive service agency that is closer to my home, and each opening states that it is only open to current competitive service personnel. On each occasion I have been found not qualified, which I found odd given my credentials.

After the last occasion I called the hiring agency's HR department, and I was told that I had been found not qualified because I was excepted service. I was also told that the interchange agreement cannot make me qualified for a competitive service only position. I then spoke with my own HR department who told me that was incorrect, and the interchange agreement meant that for hiring purposes I should have been treated like I was competitive service.

Does anyone know where I can get an accurate answer?

hang up, call again

Best guess next application will have different results. The human resources staff cannot admit to the error of their ways.
HR Bubba  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 3:20:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 179 post(s)
The hiring agency is giving you the correct information, you own organization is not. Just because an individual is "eligible' for a specific hiring authority does not mean that an agency is "required" to consider them. For Merit Promotion (MP) announcements (internal), it is up to the hiring organization to determine the area of consideration (aka - Who may apply) when they are advertising a position. If the agency in question had included interchange eligibles in their area of consideration then at that point you would have been treated as if you were in the competitive service and you would be considered.
SpaceBall  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:38:23 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
To add what HR Bubba stated, you would need to look for positions that state in the advertisement "Interchange Agreement agency employees may apply", some random examples of positions are:

https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/521316300
https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/521031100
https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/520892500
Rss Feed  Atom Feed