Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mirzaa  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2019 7:25:39 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hello guys.

So quick backstory. I have been a Gs 9 step 4 for three years now . At my current agency it seems the competitive is tough because I have not been able to score on a Gs11 position. Which is why i started to look outside, now for the same agency I got a GS-11 position. This new position caps at GS-11.

Now, i am looking for honest advice if you guys were in my position or from your past experiences, what would you do?

If I look at salary, gs9 step 4 makes the same pay as a gs-11 in Atlanta. I

Thank you guys
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2019 7:42:31 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 897 time(s) in 751 post(s)
Quick question: why are you a GS-9 Step 4 after three years? Shouldn't you get a step increase after two years once you get to step 4?

Anyway, Atlanta is no doubt less expensive than New York. You'll probably need to get a car unless you can manage to find a place near public transit. Public transit is not bad but not as widespread as New York.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2019 7:53:09 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mirzaa Go to Quoted Post
Hello guys.

So quick backstory. I have been a Gs 9 step 4 for three years now . At my current agency it seems the competitive is tough because I have not been able to score on a Gs11 position. Which is why i started to look outside, now for the same agency I got a GS-11 position. This new position caps at GS-11.

Now, i am looking for honest advice if you guys were in my position or from your past experiences, what would you do?

If I look at salary, gs9 step 4 makes the same pay as a gs-11 in Atlanta. I

Thank you guys

Something to take into consideration is the step increases. In three years you will be an 11 step 4 in Atlanta. Also, look at the tax burden for Atlanta vs NY. Cost of living should be lower as well. What does it cost to keep a vehicle on the road in GA?

I took a significant cut in pay on paper, which turned out to be a huge increase in expendable income.

Best wishes.
Jaybee  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 8:27:38 AM(UTC)
Jaybee

Hello. I am in Atlanta and I relocated here 3 years ago. Same pay grade however I lost about 10 dollars per hour because of shift differential I worked weekends as well in Miami. Atlanta/Decatur is far less expensive to live. Because you live in NY and probably not at all use to dealing with vehicle traffic, you can handle it. They also offer shuttle service here at this VA. Parking absolutely sucks. I would take a GS 11 over a GS9 any day.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:27:01 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 937 time(s) in 742 post(s)
Other thing to consider....once you have 52 weeks TIG as a GS-11, you can start looking for GS-12 positions....and so on.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
FS0201  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:00:39 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 272 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Other thing to consider....once you have 52 weeks TIG as a GS-11, you can start looking for GS-12 positions....and so on.

This. Even if you stay an 11, the automatic steps and lower cost of living would make it worthwhile quickly.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed