Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<282930
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tigerwoody76  
#581 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:10:34 AM(UTC)
Tigerwoody76

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
June 06, 2019 - Applied
June 10, 2019 - Conditional Offer
June 17, 2019 - Operational Interview
July 22, 2019 - SF86 and eQip request email received, medical paperwork submitted.
July 31, 2019 - SF86 and EQip finished and submitted
September 9, 2019 - References Contacted
October 24, 2019 - BI Interview with investigator and Co-worker interviews
October 28, 2019 - Background Completed and Submitted
November 14, 2019 - Email to schedule security interview??
November 21, 2019 - Security Interview

What is a security interview and why is it 8 hours? Does this include the polygraph?

Edited by user Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:13:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Tigerwoody76 for this useful post.
That Applicant on 11/19/2019(UTC)
That Applicant  
#582 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:48:21 AM(UTC)
That Applicant

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tigerwoody76 Go to Quoted Post

What is a security interview and why is it 8 hours? Does this include the polygraph?

I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶h̶r̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶'̶s̶e̶c̶u̶r̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶v̶i̶e̶w̶'̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶y̶ ̶&̶ ̶P̶s̶y̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶g̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶8̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶u̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶p̶.̶ By the way, you have had an incredibly quick processing. It gives me hope for the future that the last 7 people to post in this thread have only had to wait an average of 47.2 days between submitting the e-QIP and meeting with a background investigator.

Good luck on your next steps. Make sure to get good rest the night before!

Edited by user Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:07:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Correction by LDomino below

Tigerwoody76  
#583 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:53:41 AM(UTC)
Tigerwoody76

Thanks man, yea it is going actually too quick..hahaha.
LDomino  
#584 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:57:48 AM(UTC)
LDomino

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tigerwoody76 Go to Quoted Post
June 06, 2019 - Applied
June 10, 2019 - Conditional Offer
June 17, 2019 - Operational Interview
July 22, 2019 - SF86 and eQip request email received, medical paperwork submitted.
July 31, 2019 - SF86 and EQip finished and submitted
September 9, 2019 - References Contacted
October 24, 2019 - BI Interview with investigator and Co-worker interviews
October 28, 2019 - Background Completed and Submitted

A security interview is separate from poly/psych and is generally a sit-down with a security officer to conduct an in-depth drill down into some aspect of your candidacy. Could be suspected CI issues, etc.
thanks 1 user thanked LDomino for this useful post.
That Applicant on 11/19/2019(UTC)
Tigerwoody76  
#585 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:09:07 AM(UTC)
Tigerwoody76

Cool thanks domino....what does CI mean? My buddy went through the same process and was hired in 8 months. He said he did not have a Security interview. Hes 15 years younger and has not had that many jobs or traveled abroad. He went straight to the Poly after the background.
curious cows  
#586 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:16:40 AM(UTC)
curious cows

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: not_real_throwaway Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LDomino Go to Quoted Post
Updating

11/18: Applied
11/18: Told they'd schedule a math test soon
2/19: They actually scheduled the math test even though I'd been pestering them for 3 months
2/19: Take math test
3/19: Got CJO (at a pretty undervalued salary based on their own brackets and my credentials and experience, but told I can't negotiate until later), asked for e-qip forms. Three or four times between 3/19 and 5/19 they send e-qip back asking for trivial changes, which take about two hours to do each time
5/19: Told my forms were accepted and my investigation has started
5/19: Met an investigator in person and he talked to me + some of my friends and coworkers
7/19: Told I'm in suitability checking, polygraph and psych schedule for 8/19
8/19: Psych exams, failed polygraph, had "normal" job interviews with the team I'd be working with if I take the job, psychologist asked for some medical records which I got emailed to him by the end of the month. Team I'd be working with said they expect to finish their committee and voting on whether they want me or not in about 2-2.5 months.
9/19: Passed polygraph. Polygraph examiner said usually it's about 2 months after this to finish the process on the security side. No idea if that's accurate or not, he didn't seem like he was totally confident in that estimate.
Late 10/19: Told that a batch of candidates in my department will be decided on starting on a certain day in 11/19. No idea if that means that's when I'll actually hear about the results, though.

update

11/19: Rejection email, no reason given. Well, what a waste of hope and time that was.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. Very humbling to remember you could put years into this process, jump thru every hoop, and still end up with a simple rejection email. Did they clarify if this was a clearance denial or merely suitability and you can roll the dice again later?

It wasn't an HR or security decision, it was the department I was going to work with decided not to go forward with me, which is a surprise becuase I feel my interviews went very well... I didn't get any actual reasons, though. Just that they decided that I'm not the right person.

Don't give up! At the very least apply again to several positions and try to score more than one CJO to be on the safe side. If you happened to be cleared then you won't have to wait as long to go from application to hire. You can always polish your skills during your next processing rather than waiting to apply again in the future just to be waiting even more time to get hired. Should you get hired but not get an offer in a desired role, there's the possibility of transferring to your desired department after getting through probation( 2 years I think ). If you really want to work at the NSA then I'm sure you will find a way.
not_real_throwaway  
#587 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:32:47 AM(UTC)
not_real_throwaway

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NoStringsAttached Go to Quoted Post

It wasn't an HR or security decision, it was the department I was going to work with decided not to go forward with me, which is a surprise becuase I feel my interviews went very well... I didn't get any actual reasons, though. Just that they decided that I'm not the right person.

Apply again in a year after you get more work experience or education. Unfortunately for me, I'm done with schooling for the foreseeable future. And my work doesn't give me any experience in this field. I'm not giving up, but it doesn't look promising for me. You can still do it if this is your dream. Maybe look into some private sector careers? Or another agency to get your foot in the door!

Thanks for the encouragement, I may apply again later... working at NSA specifically isn't exactly my dream but I was definitely interested in the position. It's just so hard to get any job at all these days, I've been looking for months for anything even vaguely related to my degree, so I was really hoping this one would work out since I put so much time into the process.

The HR person also said something like "we acknowledge your education and it was a strong application and we will forward your file to other departments" but I think they say that to everybody who gets rejected by their department (as opposed to rejected by security etc). I don't expect anything to come of it.

They also said my clearance process will continue, so maybe I could work for a different agency...

Edited by user Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:37:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SomeCandidate  
#588 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:14:27 AM(UTC)
SomeCandidate

United States

Apply again in a year after you get more work experience or education. Unfortunately for me, I'm done with schooling for the foreseeable future. And my work doesn't give me any experience in this field. I'm not giving up, but it doesn't look promising for me. You can still do it if this is your dream. Maybe look into some private sector careers? Or another agency to get your foot in the door!

Thanks for the encouragement, I may apply again later... working at NSA specifically isn't exactly my dream but I was definitely interested in the position. It's just so hard to get any job at all these days, I've been looking for months for anything even vaguely related to my degree, so I was really hoping this one would work out since I put so much time into the process.

The HR person also said something like "we acknowledge your education and it was a strong application and we will forward your file to other departments" but I think they say that to everybody who gets rejected by their department (as opposed to rejected by security etc). I don't expect anything to come of it.

They also said my clearance process will continue, so maybe I could work for a different agency...

Yeah, I feel you. I myself didn't have much luck finding a job after I graduated 2 years ago. The only one I got before this year was at Revature, but I wasn't comfortable with the 2-year contract, and their training was too fast paced.

The fact that they kept saying I'm still processing makes me worried, since I might get rejected without getting my clearance or even meeting with my BI. You seem to have gotten through them, so hopefully you can get your clearance.

Have other recruiters contacted you?
not_real_throwaway  
#589 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:19:31 AM(UTC)
not_real_throwaway

Originally Posted by: SomeCandidate Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, I feel you. I myself didn't have much luck finding a job after I graduated 2 years ago. The only one I got before this year was at Revature, but I wasn't comfortable with the 2-year contract, and their training was too fast paced.

The fact that they kept saying I'm still processing makes me worried, since I might get rejected without getting my clearance or even meeting with my BI. You seem to have gotten through them, so hopefully you can get your clearance.

Government recruiters? No. Recruiters from India trying to get me to move to the middle of nowhere to work 12$/hour jobs at an IT help desk? Plenty.
SomeCandidate  
#590 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:31:43 AM(UTC)
SomeCandidate

United States

Originally Posted by: SomeCandidate Go to Quoted Post

Government recruiters? No. Recruiters from India trying to get me to move to the middle of nowhere to work 12$/hour jobs at an IT help desk? Plenty.

Haha. I got a lot of that too.
Pony Sprinkles  
#591 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:07:45 AM(UTC)
Pony Sprinkles

United States

Wow, this is nuts maan! Really sorry...
I am still in background/security-process - been over 4 months now! Out of curiosity, do you have a PhD in Math or a Masters degree?
not_real_throwaway  
#592 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:12:19 AM(UTC)
not_real_throwaway

Originally Posted by: Pony Sprinkles Go to Quoted Post

Wow, this is nuts maan! Really sorry...
I am still in background/security-process - been over 4 months now! Out of curiosity, do you have a PhD in Math or a Masters degree?

I have a dual BS in chemistry and math, and a masters in computational chemistry; I was in a PhD program (for computational chemistry) but the lab I was in dissolved (pun kind of intended) and fell apart due to reasons beyond my control, so I decided to leave the PhD with a masters.
BatDog123  
#593 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:48:24 AM(UTC)
BatDog123

United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Every single time I see a fellow candidate get a rejection, it sends shivers up my spine.

Its been 442 days since I started this journey, and 350 days since my offer. I try to sit it and forget it, but sometimes I still worry here and there.
velcroTech  
#594 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:32:14 AM(UTC)
velcroTech

Cayman Islands

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BatDog123 Go to Quoted Post
Every single time I see a fellow candidate get a rejection, it sends shivers up my spine.

Its been 442 days since I started this journey, and 350 days since my offer. I try to sit it and forget it, but sometimes I still worry here and there.

I would try not to worry, sometimes it is out of your control. In fact if you answered everything honestly and completely you should not worry, but understand its possible to make it through the process and still not be selected. You can also try for contractor positions if it comes to the point where you have made it through the clearance process but not selected by the hiring division.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed